RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Midland , Michigan
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jAjGYJ]

Just got back from a 12 day 1500 mile trip. North from central Michigan to Mackinaw. Across the Mackinaw bridge and west across the UP to Marquette and then the Porcupine Mountains. South to central Wisconsin. Back across the UP on the way home with stops in Manistique and Petoskey. I got to swim in three different Great Lakes (Huron, Michigan and Superior). The gladiator handled the trip great.
azeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
We purchased a 2019 Wrangler JLU for my wife, and I absolutely love driving it. I have been contemplating trading in my 2019 F150 Limited for a Gladiator. I just pulled my 25FB from Minneapolis, MN to Charleston NC. Through the mountains, the Limited pulled like a freight train accelerating from 74-80mph up steep grades while passing. I understand the reality will be chilling out in the right lane with a Gladiator. My question is...do you think it will comfortably tow at 70-75mph? Will it even be able to pull the 25FB up a steep grade without loosing momentum? Thoughts??? Im looking for opinions from Gladiator owners!!!!!!!! Yes, the F150 is a better suited tow vehicle for numerous reasons. My question is, can the Gladiator safely do the job. If you haven't driven a Wrangler or Gladiator with the top down and doors off while driving around town, you wont understand the inquiry.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
My *opinion* is that it's a neat TV. From what I can tell it has a longer wheelbase than many extended SUVs. The fly in the ointment for me is that getting much larger than 23' you start to get close to the max tow capacity of the truck. Keep in mind that the most heavy duty I think is rated to tow upward of 7600lbs +/-. A late model 25' Airstream if memory serves me is GVWR of about 7300lbs and it just goes up from there. Let's for arguements sake say you don't fully load the RV and you get it to about 7000lbs loaded as you use it. Each ounce that is in the TV (passengers, cargo, etc) get deducted from the avail tow capacity. So again for arguments sake let's say two 150lb adults and a 50lb dog, and 25lb cooler. That's 225lbs added onto the 7000lbs RV for a total of 7225. That leaves around 400lbs. Not the end of the world, but also at the high water mark IMHO.

Now vintage Airstream that weighs between 500 to 1500lbs lighter than a late model, no problem, but the late model units are heavier so as long as you plan to stay a flatlander, you'll be ok, but if you venture up into the mountains, both you and the TV are gonna get a workout.

And to answer KK4YZ comment about should have kept the duramax duramax for heavy lifting and gotten a Corolla for a daily, my answer would have been a solid yes, but that's just me.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Payload, not tow capacity, is usually the critical factor when selecting a tow vehicle. The 25FB is heavy at the hitch. I've read where owners have reported 1,100 to 1,200 lbs loaded for camping. On top of that add in weight of driver, passengers, luggage in vehicle, pets, etc, and compare to rated payload (yellow sticker drivers side door jam) for your desired tow vehicle.

Your F150 probably has a payload rating somewhere between 1,500 to 1,900 lbs.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Yea...I think your right!!!. The 2020 AS Int. Ser. FB has a base weight w/LP & Batts is 5,600. My guess is I have 400-500 lbs. of water on average...full fresh and 10% black. 600 lbs. of items in trailer. 150 lbs. of crap in the bed. 500lbs. in occupants. 5% buffer ...I just maxed it out! Besides...I would want the Rubicon which has lower numbers to begin with. Bummer!!!
Old 10-07-2020, 11:58 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Payload, not tow capacity, is usually the critical factor when selecting a tow vehicle. The 25FB is heavy at the hitch. I've read where owners have reported 1,100 to 1,200 lbs loaded for camping. On top of that add in weight of driver, passengers, luggage in vehicle, pets, etc, and compare to rated payload (yellow sticker drivers side door jam) for your desired tow vehicle.

Your F150 probably has a payload rating somewhere between 1,500 to 1,900 lbs.

The limited does have a payload which is 500 less than any other F150 due to the low profile tires. ...I think it's 1,400 or 1,500 lbs.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:28 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Payload, not tow capacity, is usually the critical factor when selecting a tow vehicle.

Not sure I would agree. My Chevy truck has nearly a 2800lb payload, yet has nearly 12k tow rating. With say 1000lb hitch weight distributed across all axles (with my smaller bars), that 1000lbs might be closer to 800lbs on the back end. In the Gladiator's case, I think I read it has about 1200 or 1300lb payload, so if you put 800lbs on the back (post weight distribution), you have still maxed out the Gladiators payload after factoring passengers and any cargo in the TV going by just the payload, which I will admit is an important number, but not exclusive.

When I buy a truck to pull a 10k RV, I am cognizant of the payload capacity in terms of hitch weight, passengers and cargo, but I look for the tow rating which in my thinking will mostly be based on hardware the TV has....larger hubs, differential, transmission, wheelbase, frame constructions, etc. Neither ratings should be overlooked.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
I understand the reality will be chilling out in the right lane with a Gladiator. My question is...do you think it will comfortably tow at 70-75mph? Will it even be able to pull the 25FB up a steep grade without loosing momentum? Thoughts??? Im looking for opinions from Gladiator owners!!!!!!!! Yes, the F150 is a better suited tow vehicle for numerous reasons. My question is, can the Gladiator safely do the job. If you haven't driven a Wrangler or Gladiator with the top down and doors off while driving around town, you wont understand the inquiry.
You might want to check out TFL Truck’s towing test with a Gladiator before giving up your F150 Limited. I can understand the coolness factor of the Gladiator but if you’re used to 70-75 MPH with your truck, the gas Gladiator may disappoint.

A better option for towing might be the diesel version. TFL Truck did a towing comparison between the gas and diesel Gladiator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F5FC6C3A-A76C-4652-A9C5-EF4CBE38DD07.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	380266  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Towson , Maryland
Quote:
We purchased a 2019 Wrangler JLU for my wife, and I absolutely love driving it. I have been contemplating trading in my 2019 F150 Limited for a Gladiator. I just pulled my 25FB from Minneapolis, MN to Charleston NC. Through the mountains, the Limited pulled like a freight train accelerating from 74-80mph up steep grades while passing. I understand the reality will be chilling out in the right lane with a Gladiator. My question is...do you think it will comfortably tow at 70-75mph? Will it even be able to pull the 25FB up a steep grade without loosing momentum? Thoughts??? Im looking for opinions from Gladiator owners!!!!!!!! Yes, the F150 is a better suited tow vehicle for numerous reasons. My question is, can the Gladiator safely do the job. If you haven't driven a Wrangler or Gladiator with the top down and doors off while driving around town, you wont understand the inquiry.
I own a Wrangler and a Gladiator. So I definitely understand the inquiry!

My Gladiator is a Rubicon and specific configuration can tow 7,000. My Airstream is a 2020 GT 23FB so GVWR is 6,300. If you had a 2021 GT 25FB you would be adding 1,000 lbs to the GVWR. There are sport versions of the Gladiator that have a capacity of 7,650. Max tongue weight, which I have, is 765. So by the numbers I am fine, but couldn't tow a 2021 GT 25FB because of tongue weight and GVWR. Not sure which 25FB you have or the specifics.

In terms of driving/handling from my experience the Gladiator is a very competent truck for what I have. I regularly tow at 75mph (faster on the flats to be honest), up and down mountains, and while occasionally I may get a little bogged down on a very steep grade, it is great for what I do. If I were regularly going through the rockies I'd probably want something different, but for my East Coast mountains, even the steep ones, I am great.

Three other factors: 1. I have the gas engine which is horrible on mileage (about 10 MPG with the Airstream going through some mixed terrain) so the diesel is likely far more efficient and better for towing. I would have bought the diesel if it had been available when I got mine I think. 2. I have this weight distribution hitch: https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-P.../dp/B004TR8F5C. I think that accounts for a huge amount of the comfort towing. I towed large trailers 10+ years ago without weight distribution and that is a massive game changer. 3. The Gladiator is not a big truck. Probably half the cargo and interior space of a F150 with a 6' bed. I knew that going in and liked the size. Lots of folks would probably want more, but for me thus far it is great. Pretty much anytime I am towing the Airstream it is my wife and I and our dog. So a "compact" Gladiator is fine for us.

So for me the Gladiator is great. And I take the doors and roof off regularly at destinations (20 minutes off, 30 minutes on). I definitely "get it."

The F150 is clearly a better devoted TV, you just might like having a Jeep and that that offers like I do.

Here's everything at the beach (the Wrangler was their also, but my son was out with it).Click image for larger version

Name:	877B1D05-42E6-4359-854D-A1FB53946C24_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	380321
dream_stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_stream View Post

My Gladiator is a Rubicon and specific configuration can tow 7,000. My Airstream is a 2020 GT 23FB so GVWR is 6,300. If you had a 2021 GT 25FB you would be adding 1,000 lbs to the GVWR. There are sport versions of the Gladiator that have a capacity of 7,650. Max tongue weight, which I have, is 765. So by the numbers I am fine, but couldn't tow a 2021 GT 25FB because of tongue weight and GVWR. Not sure which 25FB you have or the specifics.
Attachment 380321

Just as a point of reference, the stated hitch weights that are shared by the factory are under best case scenarios. As most here can attest, in the real world, speaking strictly in terms of late(er) model Airstreams, the hitch weights are in many cases significantly higher than stated.

As an example, I have seen first hand trailers that should have about 850lb hitch weight push the 1000lb mark. It's not uncommon and I checked it wasn't loaded like a hoarder either.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_stream View Post

In terms of driving/handling from my experience the Gladiator is a very competent truck for what I have. I regularly tow at 75mph (faster on the flats to be honest), up and down mountains, and while occasionally I may get a little bogged down on a very steep grade, it is great for what I do. If I were regularly going through the rockies I'd probably want something different, but for my East Coast mountains, even the steep ones, I am great.

Three other factors: 1. I have the gas engine which is horrible on mileage (about 10 MPG with the Airstream going through some mixed terrain) so the diesel is likely far more efficient and better for towing. I would have bought the diesel if it had been available when I got mine I think. 2. I have this weight distribution hitch: https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-P.../dp/B004TR8F5C. I think that accounts for a huge amount of the comfort towing. I towed large trailers 10+ years ago without weight distribution and that is a massive game changer. 3. The Gladiator is not a big truck. Probably half the cargo and interior space of a F150 with a 6' bed. I knew that going in and liked the size. Lots of folks would probably want more, but for me thus far it is great. Pretty much anytime I am towing the Airstream it is my wife and I and our dog. So a "compact" Gladiator is fine for us.

So for me the Gladiator is great. And I take the doors and roof off regularly at destinations (20 minutes off, 30 minutes on). I definitely "get it."

The F150 is clearly a better devoted TV, you just might like having a Jeep and that that offers like I do.

Here's everything at the beach (the Wrangler was their also, but my son was out with it).Attachment 380321

My unit is the 2020 Int. Ser. 25FB. Unit base weight is 206lbs. more than your 23FB. The difference is the +1,000lb. GVWR. My 25FB allows you to carry more weight...though who does. I typically run with my gray & black empty. Fresh usually full...though your 23FB holds 2 gallons more in the fresh. My hitch weight is also 250lbs. heavier than yours. Planning on taking my until to a scale and weighing both the hitch & trailer weight fully loaded. My main focus is safety. I do love the Gladiator and would really like it to work, though Im not going to force it. You have a nice looking setup!!!
Old 10-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Flying Cloud
Doylestown , Pennsylvania
Gladiator with 2" Mopar Lift

I have a Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow, the 2" MOPAR lift and 35" tires. I am looking at the Flying Cloud 23FB (GVWR = 6000# and hitch weight = 467# per Airstream website). Seems to be well within the limits (even with the lift). Anyone running a lift while towing? I know the lift will affect the towing, but thinking even if it drops to 7000#, I am still good. Thoughts?
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Midland , Michigan
Quote:
I'm the original poster of this thread. I have a flying cloud 25FB, and I usually try to tow around 65 mph. I feel very safe and comfortable at this speed. Not sure if I would at 75 mph. It would depend on the road and the conditions. A 25FB is a lot of trailer for a small truck. The power is adequate, but it's a big step down from a F150. Depending on how steep of hills you are talking about, you won't be holding 75mph. I hit some really long steep hills and could only hold 55-60mph. That's pretty rare, though. I love my gladiator, and it can get the job done if you use some common sense. I love driving it around town when I'm not using it to tow. However, if you feel like you have to tow a 6-7000lb trailer at 75mph no matter the conditions, it's probably not be the best choice. I knew this going in when I traded in my 2500HD duramax. I am OK with slowing down considering I only tow about 2000 miles a year.
azeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Going to brush up on the posts here. Would like to consider a Gladiator as a tow vehicle in our future.Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-Jeep-Gladiator-Rubicon-front-three-quarter-2.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	383428

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeeb View Post
I'm the original poster of this thread. I have a flying cloud 25FB, and I usually try to tow around 65 mph. I feel very safe and comfortable at this speed. Not sure if I would at 75 mph. It would depend on the road and the conditions. A 25FB is a lot of trailer for a small truck. The power is adequate, but it's a big step down from a F150. Depending on how steep of hills you are talking about, you won't be holding 75mph. I hit some really long steep hills and could only hold 55-60mph. That's pretty rare, though. I love my gladiator, and it can get the job done if you use some common sense. I love driving it around town when I'm not using it to tow. However, if you feel like you have to tow a 6-7000lb trailer at 75mph no matter the conditions, it's probably not be the best choice. I knew this going in when I traded in my 2500HD duramax. I am OK with slowing down considering I only tow about 2000 miles a year.
I agree towing a 7300 25 trailer with a small truck/vehicle like a Gladiator is risky. To reduce chance of oversteer and sway particularly on steep downgrades and sweeping turns you should stay below 68 mph
BayouBiker is online now   Reply With Quote