Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2016, 02:35 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Little Rock , Arkansas
Jeep Diesel TV?

Have not yet purchased my first travel trailer - leaning towards the 23' Flying Cloud. I am a long time Jeep Grand Cherokee owner and would prefer to keep driving a Jeep - in this case, upgrading to the diesel. My question is does anyone have experience using the JGC Diesel as a TV? If so, comments and concerns? My second choice for a TV is likely a GMC Sierra 1500 SLT, preferably with the larger V8. Would welcome comments on that as well. Many thanks!
CapRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
I think the Jeep Diesel shows it will pull a trailer of that weight. I don't know the payload capacity of the Jeep but with a substantial hitch, you are going to be dropping a pretty good load on the hitch. Be sure to check the total payload and then compute whether or not you have payload capacity to handle everything you want to put inside, including peeps, fuel, etc. Just for grins, you might want to check the payload capacity of the 1500 as well.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:53 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Little Rock , Arkansas
thanks GoWhereTowed...appreciate that. Have compared numbers and the JGC Diesel shows it can handle it. But hoping to hear from someone that has used this or a similar combo. I'm wondering about braking and mirrors particularly.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
There was a recent, large thread on this topic which might be helpful to you:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...uv-133223.html
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I know of three people that tow with JGCDs. One 27 ft Airstream and two SOBs. All happy campers with their trailer and TV decisions. At almost $55K for the new model I want I am going to have to wait until I can find one a couple of years old. Very happy with my 2011 JGC Hemi but really like the newish diesel models.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:15 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland diesel. I pull a 1978 31' Airstream. Over 30 mpg's not towing a 16+/- towing. I added a second swag bar to gain maximum stability. Absolutely love this tow vehicle. I leased it just to be certain I would be happy. Will be buying out this lease. The jeep moves a little more than my suburban when a truck passes at high speed. That's the only reason for the second sway bar. Pm me if you want with any additional questions or post here.
tcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
Breaking is excellent they use the oversized breaks on the overland because it has the towing package. Same breaks as the ram pickup. I got some cheap mirrors that work fine. Not a lot of mirror options right now.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:19 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
Only complaint would be no integrated brake controller but added a new controller that works great.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #9

Currently Looking...
Little Rock , Arkansas
Ballpark cost - how much to add the controller and did you have it done at the Jeep dealership or elsewhere? Curious if this would be a warranty issue on a new JGC. Shouldn't be given they are not providing the option.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapRock View Post
Ballpark cost - how much to add the controller and did you have it done at the Jeep dealership or elsewhere? Curious if this would be a warranty issue on a new JGC. Shouldn't be given they are not providing the option.
Mine came prewired with the factory towing package. It was simply a matter of plug and play. Took me 10 minutes to plug in and mount under the dash.
Warrenty issue? I am going out a limb and assume you were joking.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
Mine was just a plug and play as well. Just be sure you get the correct harness.