Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Arlington , Washington
Issues with new trucks. Hitches, Tow Mode, Regens

Bought a new F350 Ford with 6.7 powerstroke. Traded in a 2014 GMC 6.6 Duramax that was causing me troubles with the DEF/DPF system while traveling. Had replaced the entire system for 6.5K 5K road miles earlier. 4 trips were aborted and the last one the 9th injector failed (the only part that was not replaced) and regen was not working in the middle of nowhere. Speed was reduced to 15mph. Also, I found out tow mode stops regens. Since we put on 4K miles on this last trip through the South West, I had only used tow mode on hills, however, the DPF soot level was at 70%, which may have resulted in another DPF burner unit replacement, very close to the margins. Evidently plastic parts on trailers were melting due to the 1,200 degree requirement for regen to work properly. Nice way to start a brush fire.

Also, the Ford F350 comes with a 3" tow hitch and the hitch was 2" higher then my GMC which had a 2.5 inch opening. The handle on the AS crank does not allow the rear tailgate to open all the way as the step compartment extends the tailgate out further. Trying to buy an insert with the correct holes was not available, so had to drill holes and modify some shaft extension. Long ones are also hard to find when you get into 8" drops.
Proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Diesel problems

Ok, I will stick my neck out and take a shot at this one.

Noticed in your info that your towing a 22' Airstream. That may be old info and you now have a much larger Airstream, but... Now, I just have to ask why you bought an F350 oil burner after all the problems with your previous oil burner. Maybe your work requires a 1 ton truck? A 22' Airstream is easily towable by just about any "Properly Equipped" 1/2 tonner. Also the new Silverado/F250/F350/Ram 2500/Ram 3500 all are available with wonderful gas engines that are more than up to the job. A 3/4 or 1 tonner is pretty stiff in the rear axle department for a 22' Airstream.

Just a couple of curious thoughts. Set me straight if I am totally wrong or I am missing something. No harm intended but answer would be interesting.

Happy Travels!
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:26 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Ok, I will stick my neck out and take a shot at this one.

Noticed in your info that your towing a 22' Airstream. That may be old info and you now have a much larger Airstream, but... Now, I just have to ask why you bought an F350 oil burner after all the problems with your previous oil burner. Maybe your work requires a 1 ton truck? A 22' Airstream is easily towable by just about any "Properly Equipped" 1/2 tonner. Also the new Silverado/F250/F350/Ram 2500/Ram 3500 all are available with wonderful gas engines that are more than up to the job. A 3/4 or 1 tonner is pretty stiff in the rear axle department for a 22' Airstream.

Just a couple of curious thoughts. Set me straight if I am totally wrong or I am missing something. No harm intended but answer would be interesting.

Happy Travels!
Hi

Must have a *lot* of toys in the bed of the truck

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Ingleside , Illinois
Regen issues and def are two big reasons I went with a gasser. When we decided to purchase our 2020 International 30 RB twin I did a lot of research. First I determined that a half ton would be maxed out too easily and a one ton was overkill. So we decided on a 2020 Ram 2500 MegaCab with the Air Suspension. Further research, along with talking to my uncle (diesel mechanic) made going with the 6.4 Hemi an easy decision. Also decided on the 4.10 rear end for added capability. A Ram and an Airstream is a beautiful combination! Plenty of power in the flats and on the grades. Did the Smokies last year with no problem. Spent a week down at the Top of Georgia Airstream park last month and had to go up and down some steep grades. The Airstream is such a stable trailer to pull. Heading to Yellowstone at the end of next month for a couple of weeks. Overall we could not be happier with both our Ram and our Airstream! Safe travels to all.
JohnandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandDonna View Post
Regen issues and def are two big reasons I went with a gasser. When we decided to purchase our 2020 International 30 RB twin I did a lot of research. First I determined that a half ton would be maxed out too easily and a one ton was overkill. So we decided on a 2020 Ram 2500 MegaCab with the Air Suspension. Further research, along with talking to my uncle (diesel mechanic) made going with the 6.4 Hemi an easy decision. Also decided on the 4.10 rear end for added capability. A Ram and an Airstream is a beautiful combination! Plenty of power in the flats and on the grades. Did the Smokies last year with no problem. Spent a week down at the Top of Georgia Airstream park last month and had to go up and down some steep grades. The Airstream is such a stable trailer to pull. Heading to Yellowstone at the end of next month for a couple of weeks. Overall we could not be happier with both our Ram and our Airstream! Safe travels to all.
What kind of mileage are you getting with that setup?
psy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by psy1 View Post
I don't know about that Ram, but my '17 F250 gasser pulling my '19 International 30 gets 8.5 mpg going through the hills of West Virginia, and 10.5 on flat sections of Interstate 95 say, through South Carolina and down in to Florida.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Ingleside , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by psy1 View Post
Around town, not towing, combined highway and city is an avg of 12.5 mpg. But I do have a bit of a heavy foot and it is so fun to drive. Actually I have not checked while towing as conditions vary so much. Plus when it's doing what I bought it to do the mpg does not really matter. I knew going in that it would be a thirsty beast and it is. Also I use 89 octane as recommended in my owners manual. But for the roughly 10k price diff between the Hemi and the Cummins I can buy a whole lot of gas. Also, I have no intention of selling anytime soon. I generally keep my vehicles for a least 10 years.
JohnandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Arlington , Washington
Originally had a Ram 1500 hemi. Overheated on hot summer days going over passes. Believe they changed the location of the power steering and trans cooler on future models. Pull a 30 foot Ranger Tug around 10K lbs with a 3 axle trailer, otherwise, would have stayed with gas.
Proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proton View Post

Also, the Ford F350 comes with a 3" tow hitch and the hitch was 2" higher then my GMC which had a 2.5 inch opening. The handle on the AS crank does not allow the rear tailgate to open all the way as the step compartment extends the tailgate out further. Trying to buy an insert with the correct holes was not available, so had to drill holes and modify some shaft extension. Long ones are also hard to find when you get into 8" drops.
A camping friend of mine had a 2010 2500 Chevy and traded on a 2020 Ram 2500. He had a similar hitch issue - much higher hitch on the new truck. He purchased a hitch from B & W which sits lower than the factory. He didn't have to remove the factory hitch. He was able to utilize the existing hitch parts/pieces that were used on his previous truck. An easy win for him.

So sorry to hear about the emission woes on your previous truck. That doesn't make sense for GM to turn off the regeneration mode during Tow/haul mode. Something else must have been wrong. If there is enough heat generated while towing there should be a passive regeneration taking place to keep the DEF clean. Headaches like this is pushing folks back to gassers. At least the transmissions are getting better to make gas engines more palatable.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
...<snip>Headaches like this is pushing folks back to gassers. At least the transmissions are getting better to make gas engines more palatable.
I never thought I'd think about going back to a gasser but the amount of added systems, sensors, & components to keep the diesel emissions down (and they do a good job) are just taking away one of the usually high points of a diesel, reliability. Yeah, the added mileage is/was a plus but no where as much as it used to be.

crispyboy: good point, the newer 10 speeds (X speeds) are great for optimizing the rpms for torque and hp. The downshifting helps but I would miss engine braking.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

If you're wanting a new diesel without all the problems, there are two really, really low mileage Ford 7.3 1999-2003 era trucks on Bring a Trailer right now, but plan to pay big $$$$ for them.

Enjoy
Old 06-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetED View Post
I never thought I'd think about going back to a gasser but the amount of added systems, sensors, & components to keep the diesel emissions down (and they do a good job) .........
Hi

According to the window sticker, a 2021 F-350 gets a "D" rating for green house emissions from the State of California. It gets a C+ for smog. That's on a scale of A+ down to D. I happen to have one dated 6/5/2021 .... no truck to go with it, just the window sticker

Bob
Old 06-13-2021, 07:44 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
I just bought a F250 diesel a couple months ago a couple items I did to adapt from my F150. FYI - I’m towing a 27 GT.

I had to reset up my hitch. The 250 is a couple inches higher than my 150. I did it myself as an exercise in getting to know my hitch.

I use a moonlight diesel composite insert in my hitch to go from 3” to 2” receiver. It works great - although I have only towed maybe 1,000 miles with it.

My tailgate just clears my electric jack, until I mounted a flag pole holder to appease she who commands all and now it doesn’t clear. But this is as much a bi-product of the whole hitch setup. I have an Amp step mounted in the drivers side rear. It pulls out when needed and makes getting in pretty easy even with the trailer hitched.

I’m getting 14-15 mpg towing. And 21 not towing. I looked at the Godzilla engine and even drive one. They weren’t easy to find on dealer lots, did not want to wait to order and as a result of finding a diesel optioned as I wanted versus a gasser with lots of extras I paid roughly the same.
RobdaSlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:01 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobdaSlob View Post
I just bought a F250 diesel a couple months ago a couple items I did to adapt from my F150. FYI - I’m towing a 27 GT.
. . .
I’m getting 14-15 mpg towing. And 21 not towing. I looked at the Godzilla engine and even drive one. They weren’t easy to find on dealer lots, did not want to wait to order and as a result of finding a diesel optioned as I wanted versus a gasser with lots of extras I paid roughly the same.
I have a 2021 F-250 w/7.3L Godzilla, and freely admit that mpg with this cannot come close to the powerstroke or any other diesel, but I knew that going in. I did factory order mine, way before the chip shortage, but still had to wait about 4 months to get it. I also have the 4.30 rear end, that does not help for mpg but it sure helps the low end grunt factor. The trans downshift helps with downhill speed scrubbing, and I’m happy with that too, but it’s not the same as the Diesel engine braking. The first 7k miles my mpg was awful, then I must have crossed over a “break in” milestone because now it *is* slightly better than prior. Non towing, on fairly flat Midwest interstates, fairly calm days, at ~72mph, using cruise control and the ECO mode for the trans, I can consistently get 15+ mpg. My “best” for towing is ~10mpg, and I have to be 65mph or lower to see that. Most of my time I am about 9.0 to 9.5 mpg towing. I was hoping to see double digits mpg towing, and I can get that, but it’s not easy. I’m pretty happy with what I get now that breakin is behind me. Plenty of power at my disposal.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Exclamation

Issues with new trucks. Hitches, Tow Mode, Regens?

Welcome to the new normal !!!

There . . . all problems solved . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

According to the window sticker, a 2021 F-350 gets a "D" rating for green house emissions from the State of California. It gets a C+ for smog. That's on a scale of A+ down to D. I happen to have one dated 6/5/2021 .... no truck to go with it, just the window sticker

Bob
Bob this got me noodling…which is dangerous. But with the towing efficiency gain my diesel 250 has over my gas 150, I’m actually creating less CO2 with my oil burner. I was getting roughly 11 mpg towing with my 150. And we can call it 14 with the diesel. Gas engines typically create 19.26 lbs of CO2 per gallon and diesel 22.38. Which equates to 1.79 lbs of CO2/mile for the 150 and 1.60/mile for the diesel 250. If I want to be more responsible I could go biodiesel or plant more trees (which eat 31 lbs of CO2 a day). or just quit driving.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Bob this got me noodling…which is dangerous. But with the towing efficiency gain my diesel 250 has over my gas 150, I’m actually creating less CO2 with my oil burner. I was getting roughly 11 mpg towing with my 150. And we can call it 14 with the diesel. Gas engines typically create 19.26 lbs of CO2 per gallon and diesel 22.38. Which equates to 1.79 lbs of CO2/mile for the 150 and 1.60/mile for the diesel 250. If I want to be more responsible I could go biodiesel or plant more trees (which eat 31 lbs of CO2 a day). or just quit driving.
Hi

I think the issue is that there are more things coming out the pipe than CO2. The total coming out of a diesel *is* quite a bit more than out of an equivalent gas engine running down the same road, under the same load. (... and yes, that window sticker is on my truck ....).

Bob
Old 06-14-2021, 07:21 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Cape Coral , Florida
Quote:

I had to reset up my hitch. The 250 is a couple inches higher than my 150. I did it myself as an exercise in getting to know my hitch.

I use a moonlight diesel composite insert in my hitch to go from 3” to 2” receiver. It works great - although I have only towed maybe 1,000 miles with it.

My tailgate just clears my electric jack, until I mounted a flag pole holder to appease she who commands all and now it doesn’t clear. But this is as much a bi-product of the whole hitch setup. I have an Amp step mounted in the drivers side rear. It pulls out when needed and makes getting in pretty easy even with the trailer hitched.

Can anyone tell me what a “moonlight diesel composite insert” is? We have F350 on order, have had word it will be here next week and will need to resize for height as well as the difference in hitch receiver size. BTW, ours is a gasser.
One Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:19 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
“ Can anyone tell me what a “moonlight diesel composite insert” is? We have F350 on order, have had word it will be here next week and will need to resize for height as well as the difference in hitch receiver size. BTW, ours is a gasser.”

This is an adapter for the receiver hitch, F250 is a 2.5” tube, F350 is a 3” tube. F150 is a 2” tube. If you have a hitch ball, it’s probably on a 2” mount, that’s the most common, and to re-use it, adapters for the bigger trucks are needed. Amazon has them .... several options exist.

https://www.amazon.com/Moonlight-Die...3737709&sr=8-3
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:41 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Smith View Post
Can anyone tell me what a “moonlight diesel composite insert” is? We have F350 on order, have had word it will be here next week and will need to resize for height as well as the difference in hitch receiver size. BTW, ours is a gasser.
As noted it takes your receiver from 3” on the diesel to 2” which matches up to my 2” equalizer shank.

I tried metal insert but to go from 3 to 2 took two inserts which were a pain to align and had a lot of slop. I could hear the hitch moving around when towing and all I could envision is something wearing.

The right answer is either to get a hitch system with a 3” shank or to put a smaller receiver on. I wasn’t ready to go there so did this for now. I am happy with how it works.