Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2019, 10:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Is this the tow vehicle?

Two things, as a male, you never talk about with any female: 1) weight, and 2) age.

The really dangerous question is anything related to pregnancy because that borders on #1 above.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
And since when is the average American driver and passenger only 150 pounds??
Hi, I was in about 1964. But you can add close to one pound per year since then.

[Hey, when I say it that way, it doesn't sound too bad] "I only gained one pound per year!"
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Very nice towing combo!

By the way, Edge in Europe has 2,000 kg (4,400 lbs) towing capacity. Page 19

https://www.mediaab.ford.com/content...he%20Daten.pdf

Funny how manufacturers are playing with "towing capacity" on different markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfp1953 View Post
Saw this set up a few weeks back.......I believe that is a 28 footer and that is the tow vehicle. I kid you not!!!!!!!!! It is a Ford Edge,max towing is 3500 lbs.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:27 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
And since when is the average American driver and passenger only 150 pounds??
Hi

I've had *dogs* in the truck that weighed over 150 pounds ....

I also have run into outfits that seem to think that the people in the vehicle average out at 125 pounds .... yikes .... I guess I really am a "multiple personality" after all.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:24 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I've had *dogs* in the truck that weighed over 150 pounds ....

I also have run into outfits that seem to think that the people in the vehicle average out at 125 pounds .... yikes .... I guess I really am a "multiple personality" after all.

Bob
Yaaa...but that average weight number only includes those folks over 3 yo.
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Very nice towing combo!

By the way, Edge in Europe has 2,000 kg (4,400 lbs) towing capacity. Page 19

https://www.mediaab.ford.com/content...he%20Daten.pdf

Funny how manufacturers are playing with "towing capacity" on different markets.
In Europe the recommended tongue weight is 5-7 percent.
In some (maybe all) countries they have a lower max speed for towing also.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
And your point is...? You can tow with 5-7% TW in the US. Physics works the same here and there. However, most people do not understand how towing works, so in the US they are recommending at least 10% TW in order to let speeders to tow 80 mph in Texas.

In most EU countries, the speed limit is 50 mph when towing, unless the trailer has electric brakes - then the limit is increased to 65 mph (I am not sure, if this works in all the EU).

The fact is that in Europe in majority of the case the trailers use surge brakes and no weight distribution. Despite these limitations, there are many examples where the same car is "rated" to tow more in Europe than in the US, where the larger trailers use electric brakes and weight distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
In Europe the recommended tongue weight is 5-7 percent.
In some (maybe all) countries they have a lower max speed for towing also.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:13 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
On our way home we are overnighting at the same RV park, and the big brother turned up! So no more bullying!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	280DE28E-A7F4-499E-84B1-109DA17CDC0E.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	698.0 KB
ID:	347901  
Old 07-28-2019, 11:36 PM   #29
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Despite these limitations, there are many examples where the same car is "rated" to tow more in Europe than in the US, where the larger trailers use electric brakes and weight distribution.
My favourite example came from reading the owner's manual for my daughter's new Toyota. The same model was sold in Canada, the US, and Europe. The manual had three sub sections under the heading "Towing". In the section labelled Canada, there was a tow rating. In the section labelled US, there was a note that the vehicle could not tow anything, as it was not designed for towing. In the section labelled Europe, there was a higher tow rating than in Canada, and a drawing showing the place to attach a tow hitch, with reinforced attachment points on the chassis. The vehicles were identical in all three markets, apart from some smaller engine options available in Europe; they were all built in the same factory. It just came down to regional marketing differences by the manufacturer.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
And your point is...? You can tow with 5-7% TW in the US. Physics works the same here and there. However, most people do not understand how towing works, so in the US they are recommending at least 10% TW in order to let speeders to tow 80 mph in Texas.

In most EU countries, the speed limit is 50 mph when towing, unless the trailer has electric brakes - then the limit is increased to 65 mph (I am not sure, if this works in all the EU).

The fact is that in Europe in majority of the case the trailers use surge brakes and no weight distribution. Despite these limitations, there are many examples where the same car is "rated" to tow more in Europe than in the US, where the larger trailers use electric brakes and weight distribution.
My point is that if the limiting factor is tongue weight then with a limit of 200 lbs tongue weight with 5% tongue weight that would allow a 4000 lb trailer, with 10% tongue weight 200 lbs would only allow a 2000 lb trailer.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:07 PM   #31
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
If you look in the initial picture, you can see the worn grass where the tow vehicle that won't fit in front of the AS parks. But for those with less investigative skills, the actual pictorial evidence is an easier sell. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote