Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Is this possible?

I have an extraordinarily tight parking space, so tight I don't think it will actually be possible to get my new(to me) 27' Overlander in there. I won't have the trailer for a few days, but I'm soliciting opinions on whether this is possible, and/or how to do it. The trailer won't be coming and going very often as I suspect we'll only tow it a few times a year at most. But, I also don't want to get it into my yard only to determine it can never leave.

Here's a schematic of the alley behind my house, and my driveway:
http://www.airforums.com/attachments...ated_alley.png

In this drawing the alley runs "east-west." My driveway is the 29' opening on the "north" side of the alley. The opening to the "south" is across the alley and is the neighbor's driveway. My yard is about 45' deep from the edge of the alley. I would like the trailer to end up parked perpendicular to the alley, and alongside the neighbor's garage on the east side of my property. The alley is dirt, most of my driveway is concrete, except for 8' along the north side, on which I could pour a slab if I wanted to. Other than spots where dirt meets concrete, the whole area is pretty level.

Think it's possible? If so how? I think there's not enough room for the Tow Vehicle to maneuver, and am wondering if there is some way to maneuver the AS without a TV. Anyone ever pushed theirs around by hand?

Thanks in advance for your brilliant ideas.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
A couple of questions:

* Is the area marked "my driveway" 29-feet by 45-feet?

* Is that entire area all yours, or does half of it belong to your neighbor?

* If half of it belongs to your neighbor, would they be willing to move their vehicle(s) to allow you to park your Airstream?

* From your description, do you want your Airstream to end up parked north/south, with the tongue a the south end of your driveway?

* Can you use the 31-foot driveway at the bottom center of your diagram for maneuvering?

* If you can use the 31-foot driveway, how deep is it (i.e., is it 45-feet, like your drive)?

* Are there any roof overhangs or anything overhead that must be taken into account?

I think you may be able to do this, but it probably won't be easy. Also, Airstreams are really heavy; so I doubt if you'll be able to do this by hand, even with help, unless you have a powered tongue dolly (and those are expensive).

Your answers to the above questions will determine whether this is achievable...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Are there eaves on either building facing the alley? If so, measure the distance between the eaves, not the surface of the alley. You may actually have less than 14' in width.

Oops...Phoenix beat me to the punch.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Yes there are eaves of approximately 1 foot on each side of the 14' wide section of alley. I have not measured their height.

Phoenix, the 29' wide space is all mine. The 31' wide driveway is not very deep, there is a fence approximately 20' in. The neighbor would be happy to let me use his driveway if I need it. It is not paved. You are correct about the orientation of the trailer I am hoping to achieve.

My wife wonders whether it would be possible to park parallel to the alley? If we could get the wheels onto the concrete drive, it should be possible to pivot the trailer manually with a dolly or gojaks, but could we even get the wheels on the concrete? The concrete edge of my driveway is a straight line from the SE corner of my garage to SW corner of the neighbor's garage.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Regarding parking parallel to the alley, without looking at a photo of this area, it doesn't sound like a very good idea.

The width of your driveway is only 29-feet, and your Airstream is 27. If you have a foot overhang on both garages, your Airstream may not even fit.

If it does, there isn't much room left for your neighbor (to the south) to get into and out of his (31x20 foot) driveway; and the entire side of your Airstream is exposed to damage from his backing error.

As an alternative to your original parking plan, are you open to parking your Airstream diagonally across your driveway? Or, does this block your garage door entrance? (You didn't specify where your garage door is on your diagram.)

Note: Sent you a PM.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Reference the following post showing photos of my "tight slip" http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...s-68808-2.html. From the street I have to break the 31' ASCL street side to go ~20' through an ~13' fence opening, then break street side again to enter the 10' wide "tight slip" between two wings of my home; the AS is 8.5 feet wide; so you may be able to do it (I have not scrutenized your drawing) VERY SLOWLY.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:20 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
anytown , travlin
not always easy but well worth while

I just towed my 23 ft safari ome am and catching he ck for where i parked it. along side her shed.But being spring thaw my buddy who towed it it for me recomened not going across the yard where I wanted it.a week or two when the ground is more stable I will drag it out drive it in and back it up and drop till then its, close to home and I can work on it. wish u the best.backing take s some getting use to. its a whole lot easier to drive in drop turn around and go.Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0193.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	183269
rednose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Thanks for the input, folks. I've got a professional driver delivering it, if anyone can drive it into this spot, I figure he can.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
guyton , Georgia
use a 4 wheeler like a 650 lot shorter than a pick up
r.swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Consider installing a receiver on the front of your TV for your parking adventures. Don't use WD equipment, just drop the trailer on the ball. This shortens the overall length and significantly increases maneuverability and vision.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Yeah, I'm having a hard time seeing my Honda Pilot with a front hitch.

The ATV is a good idea, but I don't own one, and wouldn't use it other than for this.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
If a professional driver is putting it in, make sure before he leaves, you use ur TV and practise while driver is still there. It would be terrible if you could not get it out again.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If your driveway is smooth and level you can get some casters that fit under the tires and push it where you want it. Can you draw where you want your trailer in that space?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
perry, I've been thinking about that option, but I'd have to pour some more concrete. That would work if I can get the wheels up on the concrete.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I made a 3 point hitch adapter for my Kubota tractor. You can backup to a trailer lift the tongue with the hydraulics move drop, reposition the tractor if you need to, lift move drop etc. I move my trailers around the yard when I need to mow under them. I have done this with the Airstream a time or two.

Perry
Old 04-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Topeka , Kansas
Perryg
Can you show pictures of the Kubota set up?
2club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I will have to take some photos tonight.

Perry
Old 04-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2017 30' Classic
Summerville , South Carolina
I also use my Kubota to move my Airstream, Boat and other trailers around my yard. (I have lots of trees to maneuver around) You can buy an attachment at a good Tractor dealership.

Good luck.
Captain Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Ask your local 4wd club for help parking ... most of the short wheel base 4wd like jeep wranglers can easily maneuver your AS if it will physically fit into the area diagrammed... it may take several see-saws, however. The turning and maneuvering ease is determined by the distance from the steering axles to the ball hitch ... the shorter that distance, the easier to turn. I have not seen a motorcycle style engine powered 4-wheeler sport machine that has a suspension (without a separate moving dolly) that will handle the hitch weight of your AS - so, stick with a "jeep" type vehicle.

We have a front mounted hitch (coupled with a short rotatable & spring loaded stinger) on our Jeep Wrangler and it makes a tremendous difference in the "smile content" after we return home to park.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
mefly, do you tow your AS with the Wrangler, or only use it for parking?

I'm over in Boise, and, like you, canot assume that I'll only be towing at low elevation or on easy grades. Wondering what folks in the mountains tow with.