Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Is this hitch okay? Hope to hear some suggestions.

http://www.amazon.com/Eaz-Lift-48051-Weight-Distributing-Adjustable/dp/B0024E6XBA/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1410810431&sr= 1-3 (I’m considering 800lbs one)

Is this hitch Okay for my below towing setting? Thanks!

TV: Dodge Durango 14 RT, Hemi 5.7 V8, with factory towing package(mark as towing 7200lb)
Trailer: Airstream 16’, 3500lb ~ 4500lb
shockfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The 600# capacity will be fine, the 800 too stiff.

Be sure that the hitch box height and shank will work with the ball height of your 16' trailer. Some hitch boxes are so high that you cannot get enough drop on the ball without a new shank with more drop capacity.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Absolutely not ok. You have to go out and buy the most expensive and heaviest hitch on the market according to some here or you do not love your family or care about the lives of everyone else on the highway.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That's the same one I got for my Caravel a couple months ago. I bought it at a local shop and they set it all up for me too.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Absolutely not ok. You have to go out and buy the most expensive and heaviest hitch on the market according to some here or you do not love your family or care about the lives of everyone else on the highway.

You aren't kidding, I thought my coffee pot had to cost hundreds of dollars

Back to the hitch, same one I use

Sent from my iPhone
David & Diane
Old 09-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlores View Post
You aren't kidding, I thought my coffee pot had to cost hundreds of dollars
Just your vacuum cleaner
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
And portable fan.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-16-2014, 02:00 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
The 600# capacity will be fine, the 800 too stiff.

Be sure that the hitch box height and shank will work with the ball height of your 16' trailer. Some hitch boxes are so high that you cannot get enough drop on the ball without a new shank with more drop capacity.

Here is the spec:

base weight is: 3,261
GVWR: 4,300
Tongue Weight W/Propane: 459lb

should 600# be enough?
we have 3rd row ocupied by an adult and a carseat baby, should their weight plus bags behind 3rd row counted to Tongue weight?
Old 09-16-2014, 02:01 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Here is the spec:

base weight is: 3,261
GVWR: 4,300
Tongue Weight W/Propane: 459lb

should 600# be enough?
we have 3rd row ocupied by an adult and a carseat baby, should their weight plus bags behind 3rd row counted to Tongue weight?
Old 09-16-2014, 02:04 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
and I just saw this,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005SB..._1410854543089,

seems more gadgets, an inclusive package, similar price!!
Old 09-16-2014, 05:19 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We've been selling a similar hitch setup as a lower cost option to the name brand hitches. With your tow vehicle, there may in fact be a problem with it.
The drop bar included with the hitch is limited as far as the height it can adjust to. Your Durango may sit too high off the ground to use the included drop bar, the trailer ball height may be several inches too high. After searching for some time, we finally found a longer drop bar to use with taller tow vehicles, but the drop bar is so expensive, it offsets most, if not all, of the cost savings of the hitch.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The drop bar included with the hitch is limited as far as the height it can adjust to. Your Durango may sit too high off the ground to use the included drop bar, the trailer ball height may be several inches too high. After searching for some time, we finally found a longer drop bar to use with taller tow vehicles, but the drop bar is so expensive, it offsets most, if not all, of the cost savings of the hitch.
The hitch on Amazon appears to use the standard shank. I've lately become a bit of an expert in shanks because we're having some issues finding the right one to go with our new truck - hopefully the one that should be in tomorrow will do the job.

However, as you pointed out, if they have to replace the shank, it'll be an additional cost - figure $150 online and probably $200 in a store. It'd be better to buy a hitch without the shank and order it separately.

To the original poster: etrailer.com, Reese, and probably other hitch brands have guides to help you figure out what drop you'll need. It involves measuring to the top of the receiver and the bottom of the tongue to calculate the drop you'll need. Those numbers should get you in the ballpark at least, and then you have to find a shank that matches, which can be the tricky part (often the dimensions given aren't exactly what you need, and the catalog our shop has lists a "drop" dimension, which isn't clear as to whether it's max drop or min drop...and the drop is different for round bar hitches versus trunnion bar hitches, because the head is different...).

I know you can get it cheaper online, but it may be worth getting one from a local hitch shop or RV dealer, simply because of the different parts you may need. Yes, we spent more for our (incorrect) drop bar, but we also knew we'd have no problem returning and wouldn't have to pay to ship it back to an online dealer if it was wrong. It's hard to put a price on the extra time and hassle online ordering can cause for something like this.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have been having the same issue with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland using the Blue Ox SwayPro system. The shank supplied by the local dealership ended up being 2 inches too short. The automatic air suspension self adjust once moving and raises the Jeep 2 inches higher. I need 2 more inches of drop to get things level all around. The next size the dealership has is 4 and 6 inches longer. They were reluctant to exchange it for a longer hitch drop saying that another customer with the same TV hit a RR track crossing using a longer hitch drop. I just got off the phone with Blue Ox. The are swapping free of charge including shipping both ways for a 2 inch longer drop bar. It should be here in 3 or 4 days.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockfly View Post
Eaz-Lift-48051-Weight-Distributing-Adjustable

Is this hitch Okay for my below towing setting? Thanks!
For the money it is a top quality WDH.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You are now aware of the need to determine the shank specs before you buy a system online.

One other thing you should consider is that hitch has absolutely no sway control factor.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
I wonder if I try to buy the hitch in locally store, which chain store I should visit?
I really feel the RV deal's price is unbelievable high ($999 and another is $1300, I forgot to ask for the brand.)
Old 09-16-2014, 11:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You might consider visiting a Six Robblies store in your area. I have found them to be very very helpful and they have been around since 1913. Fair prices. They also work with others in the area and will be a good source to recommend shops who sell things that they do not. I go to the Missoula store and they found me a great shop to have a new hitch coupler put on my Argosy. Years ago the Spokane store was equally helpful when I needed some brake parts.

I think they sell hitches too, but I am not sure. If not, they will recommend a good local shop.

Locations | Six Robblees' Inc.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockfly View Post
I wonder if I try to buy the hitch in locally store, which chain store I should visit?
I really feel the RV deal's price is unbelievable high ($999 and another is $1300, I forgot to ask for the brand.)
Wow. When I see the prices of Reese hitches online (which is what I have) and then remember what the guy I bought the trailer from said he paid for it, I start to wonder...

In our case, we're working with a place that sells caps, utility trailers, etc. There are a couple of them around here. I haven't priced a full hitch from them, so I don't know what they'd charge for a hitch equivalent to mine. Also, since they usually don't deal with weight distribution setups, they're not going to be experts on them - but then, from many threads we see on here, neither are many RV dealers, so you're really no worse off.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
... I need 2 more inches of drop to get things level all around. The next size the dealership has is 4 and 6 inches longer. They were reluctant to exchange it for a longer hitch drop saying that another customer with the same TV hit a RR track crossing using a longer hitch drop.
We could not get the exact shank drop that we needed; so, I used a cut off wheel on a small grinder and shortened a longer shank to make it perfect ... not a quick job, but required no skill.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
We could not get the exact shank drop that we needed; so, I used a cut off wheel on a small grinder and shortened a longer shank to make it perfect ... not a quick job, but required no skill.
I have the correct bar coming direct from Blue Ox free of charge. It should be here in a few days.