Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
No, I am suggesting you remove less load from the front axle. Driver training teaches that you should try to steer out of a situation instead of simply slamming the brakes on, towing or not. My primary concern personally with no FALR would be related to steering, and that is why I listed it first (perhaps you didn't notice), but RAM expand their caution in the owner's manual, when discussing using WD equipment. Notice the reference to braking control:

If you lighten the front axle, you can encounter a situation whereby the front wheels can lose traction. We likely agree about forward weight transfer, but that doesn't happen until the vehicle has started to decelerate. The concern is over braking control IMO, not over ultimate braking power, which you are focusing on. But if you think it is foolish, you should perhaps write to RAM and tell them so. Maybe they will listen to you. Use words like fool, it may help your case
If you have too much load on the front axle your vehicle will understeer and when you try to brake and swerve to avoid an accident it might not work. Another good reason to have more weight on the rear. Seriously, forget about this nonsensical FALR concept. It's confusing you and the other hitch people and resulting in bad weight distribution.

Of course if you take too much off the front wheels you're going to have a different problem, but nobody is suggesting that. There is an ideal weight distribution for each rig which also depends on what type of accident you want to avoid the most. Nobody is ever going to agree exactly on what that is, but everyone, or almost everyone, agrees it is not to have more weight on the front than on the back.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:34 PM   #142
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
If you have too much load on the front axle your vehicle will understeer and when you try to brake and swerve to avoid an accident it might not work. Another good reason to have more weight on the rear. Seriously, forget about this nonsensical FALR concept. It's confusing you and the other hitch people and resulting in bad weight distribution.

Of course if you take too much off the front wheels you're going to have a different problem, but nobody is suggesting that. There is an ideal weight distribution for each rig which also depends on what type of accident you want to avoid the most. Nobody is ever going to agree exactly on what that is, but everyone, or almost everyone, agrees it is not to have more weight on the front than on the back.
Correction....if you take weight OFF your front axle, you WILL understeer as your tires will not have enough traction to change direction; it will also reduce your braking effectiveness.
You want weight on your front axle.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
interesting comments from U-Haul

But the RIGHT amount of weight. Too little is every bit as bad as too much. That’s why FALR is an important concept, and often clearly specified by the vehicle manufacturer an to the percentage to be returned.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Correction....if you take weight OFF your front axle, you WILL understeer as your tires will not have enough traction to change direction; it will also reduce your braking effectiveness.
You want weight on your front axle.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Wrong. The heavier the load on the front the more it will understeer. Front heavy cars, cars with FWD, understeer. Traction is not the issue. It's because of the inertia owing to the higher load.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
But the RIGHT amount of weight. Too little is every bit as bad as too much. That’s why FALR is an important concept, and often clearly specified by the vehicle manufacturer an to the percentage to be returned.
I don't like the FALR concept. Yes it will ameliorate an unbalanced load condition but it doesn't get to the question of what is the best weight distribution for vehicle stability.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:05 PM   #146
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Wait time out! Understeer/Oversteer misuse infraction! A vehicle alone with more weight on the front is in a understeer condition. A vehicle/trailer with high TW shifts to oversteer. The same combo with WD applied now has more oversteer than before. Continue!
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:45 AM   #147
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
This is all because of the Y2K Bug. It's where conjecture meets reality.

Just a small shot of Airstream Ball Lube and life is good. (With or Without WD).

Thanks to all.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:42 AM   #148
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Looks like some people need to learn what some of these terms they're throwing round really mean, not just what they think they mean.
1-UNDERSTEER= the car continues in a straight line when you turn the steering wheel.
2-OVERSTEER= the rear end tries to move to the outside of the turn.
3-WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION= using Archimedes principle of leverage to lever a portion of the tongue weight back to the front axle of the tow vehicle, where the weight of the tongue had removed it, also by Archimedes' principle of leverage by the distance between the rear axle and ball mount.
4-AXLE WEIGHT RATIO= the percentage of a vehicle's total weight as placed on each axle.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #149
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Out of sight, you are going to have to explain to me how you are able to move 50% of your trailer's tongue weight from the rear axle to the front axle without using any kind of levering device, such as weight distribution bars. Type slow, so I can follow along without getting lost.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #150
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Out of sight, you are going to have to explain to me how you are able to move 50% of your trailer's tongue weight from the rear axle to the front axle without using any kind of levering device, such as weight distribution bars. Type slow, so I can follow along without getting lost.
I don't move the tongue weight. I leave it all on the ball to balance out the weight of the 1000 lb. diesel engine that is sitting over the front axle. The result is that the truck, which is 2" high in the back when unloaded, is now perfectly level and my front and rear axles are equally loaded.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #151
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I don't move the tongue weight. I leave it all on the ball to balance out the weight of the 1000 lb. diesel engine that is sitting over the front axle. The result is that the truck, which is 2" high in the back when unloaded, is now perfectly level and my front and rear axles are equally loaded.
Then why in the hell have you posted repeatedly in this thread that you have 50/50 weight distribution when you haven't done a damned thing to distribute it? At best, you need to choose your words and phrases more carefully.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Then why in the hell have you posted repeatedly in this thread that you have 50/50 weight distribution when you haven't done a damned thing to distribute it? At best, you need to choose your words and phrases more carefully.
You're talking about the distribution of the tongue weight. When I talk about weight distribution I'm talking about how the weight of the entire truck and payload rests on the front and rear axles.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #153
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Wrong. The heavier the load on the front the more it will understeer. Front heavy cars, cars with FWD, understeer. Traction is not the issue. It's because of the inertia owing to the higher load.
Somebody needs to back to school and re-take the grade 10 physics course you obviously failed.
Think about it.....stand on a skateboard and push off; transfer your weight to the back of the board until no weight is on the front wheels; and try and turn. Even if the wheels are turned, the board will not turn; it will understeer.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:34 AM   #154
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
You're talking about the distribution of the tongue weight. When I talk about weight distribution I'm talking about how the weight of the entire truck and payload rests on the front and rear axles.
Ahhhh....un-hitched that explains the lack of weight tickets.
You're not toeing anything.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Somebody needs to back to school and re-take the grade 10 physics course you obviously failed.
Think about it.....stand on a skateboard and push off; transfer your weight to the back of the board until no weight is on the front wheels; and try and turn. Even if the wheels are turned, the board will not turn; it will understeer.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
There is plenty of info on understeer and oversteer available online. I suggest you study it and then get into a FWD vehicle and try making some fast turns. You'll see I'm right.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:21 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Ahhhh....un-hitched that explains the lack of weight tickets.

Bob
🇺🇸
Only because you were nice enough to show me yours:
Old 05-29-2019, 01:22 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert cross View Post
ahhhh....un-hitched that explains the lack of weight tickets.

bob
🇺🇸
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-05-01 scale ticket.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	342035

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_133515.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	342036
Old 05-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #158
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Attachment 342035

From the attached scale ticket:

Steer: 4680
Drive: 5120
Trailer: 6220
Quote:
Scale ticket: Steer 4760, drive 3240. Agrees with the mfr tow chart when the options are taken into account.
Are these the same truck, loaded to the same conditions, apart from the trailer on the ball in the attached scale ticket?

You have added 1880 lbs to the rear axle?

If so, if you had WD installed and set up correctly, just think how much closer to your desired 50:50 front:rear axle weight ratio you could get.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
I believe I’d shorten those safety chains ...

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
I believe I’d shorten those safety chains ...
Yeah. Sparky, Sparky
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote