Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
U-Hauls are cargo trailers. It's easy to back-end load them. Airstreams are travel trailers and they are very difficult to back end load unless you load them to the ceiling with cargo. At least the newer Airstreams. I have seen some older ones that don't look very well balanced.

Many newer tow vehicles have ESC, electronic stability control. The ESC senses a sway condition and applies the brakes on the appropriate side of the vehicle and cuts the throttle until the speed drops below the critical speed. Then you should stop and re-arrange your cargo.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #42
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Do not assume Uhaul is expert at hitch install. Personally verify all work. We have an excellent local Uhaul. They corrected a flawed install done by another Uhaul shop.

Likely appropriate advice for all towing installations. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
interesting comments from U-Haul

Yup. Last trailer rental from UHaul was hooked up by a kid with little training. I double-checked his work to make sure it was right and tight. Hitch was not fully locked. But hey, not bad for a guy trained as an EMT.

IMHO, unless you did all the work yourself, double check before you head out. You are the one that has “skin in the game” when it comes to towing...and if you did do all the work yourself, double check anyway. Keeps DW from yelling at you when something goes wrong.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

yes , Georgia
Well, the surge brakes on a U-Haul cannot be used with WD hitch as that hitch would interfere with the operation of the surge brakes. The weight of the U-haul trailer pushes on a piston in the tongue that pushes hydraulic oil to the U-haul trailer brakes. The amount of force applied to the brake is proportional to the amount of braking being done by the TV.
Many U-haul trailers, the smaller ones, do not have brakes, so this would not be a factor in that case.
Since the small UH trailers have just one arm, not the triangle shaped two or three coming from the trailer box then there is no where to attach a WD hitch anyway.
For the small non-brake UH trailers there is nothing special as far as being a trailer. It has a hitch and two wheels. Putting a WD hitch, if possible, is no different than putting on any trailer (again, without the hydro brakes).
Electric brakes are different as they actuate at the brake drum, not the tongue, so this is two completely different topics.
UH trailers usually have the axle(s) pretty far back, so it is hard to load them wrong, but I have done it as a youth and gotten bad sway. We put heavy things at the back door, and had light things at the front. Lesson learned pretty quick…

Im curious, why this post?
What on earth does it have to do with A.S.?
silverhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:57 AM   #45
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
I was at a busy Uhual Depot recently and I asked manager how often he checked tire pressure. “Once a month”. Then I asked how often he checked the lug nuts. “ Never”.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhio View Post
Im curious, why this post?
It has to do with trailer stability, applicable to both U-Hauls and Airstreams. U-Haul's opinion that the bigger the tow vehicle the better can also be applied to Airstreams.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:12 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
West Windsor , Vermont
U-Haul

Just towed a 5 x 8’ u-haul trailer 240 miles. No brakes or sway controls included. Without incident.
Peterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #48
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhio View Post
I’m curious, why this post?
The original poster has argued repeatedly that WD and sway control are not required when he tows his Airstreams. He was trying to equate towing a U Haul with towing an Airstream, and referenced the head of engineering at U Haul as an appeal to authority, a logical fallacy. He was given many reasons why his argument is fallacious. He persists.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Another opinion on towing stability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towing Stability Graph.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	341674  
Old 05-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
The original poster has argued repeatedly that WD and sway control are not required when he tows his Airstreams. He was trying to equate towing a U Haul with towing an Airstream, and referenced the head of engineering at U Haul as an appeal to authority, a logical fallacy. He was given many reasons why his argument is fallacious. He persists.
Do you know I have not received one valid reason why I need a weight distribution hitch when I have a perfect weight distribution without one?
Old 05-26-2019, 12:28 PM   #51
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
Do you know I have not received one valid reason why I need a weight distribution hitch when I have a perfect weight distribution without one?
Yes you have. Yet you persist.

It is obvious that you aren’t going to follow the recommendations of your tow vehicle manufacturer, your trailer manufacturer, or the many posters who have advised you. That is fine, but you persist in encouraging others to join you in your folly.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:38 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Quote:
Yes you have. Yet you persist.

It is obvious that you aren’t going to follow the recommendations of your tow vehicle manufacturer, your trailer manufacturer, or the many posters who have advised you. That is fine, but you persist in encouraging others to join you in your folly.
You probably don't realize it but you are encouraging unsafe trailering by telling people that all they have to do is get themselves a good hitch and they'll be good. And you don't even know how to set up the hitch for proper weight distribution.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:31 PM   #53
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
...... all they have to do is get themselves a good hitch and they'll be good.
And you don't even know how to set up the hitch for proper weight distribution.
And the post where that is mentioned is where?
Did you watch him set up his hitch?

All YOU have to do is...stop your inane comments.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
And the post where that is mentioned is where?
Did you watch him set up his hitch?

All YOU have to do is...stop your inane comments.

Bob
🇺🇸
No, I didn't watch him. I don't think he has a trailer or a hitch. He probably has an undersized tow vehicle, though.

So, as long as you are here criticizing my comments as being insane, how do you set up your hitch? Are you like him in that you would overload the front of the tow vehicle?
Old 05-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
No, I didn't watch him. I don't think he has a trailer or a hitch. He probably has an undersized tow vehicle, though.

So, as long as you are here criticizing my comments as being insane, how do you set up your hitch? Are you like him in that you would overload the front of the tow vehicle?
Okay. We get it. Get a huge tow vehicle, load the trailer right, tow on the ball, and WD and sway control are a fraud and a waste of money. Enough! We are tired of you.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
Okay. We get it. Get a huge tow vehicle, load the trailer right, tow on the ball, and WD and sway control are a fraud and a waste of money.
Yup. You finally got it right. Have a safe trip.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #57
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
OOS - You have contradicted yourself. The diagram you included shows that a bigger vehicle is not required for stability. A TV with weight 1:1 with the trailer and a 15% tongue weight is in the same "Ideal Combined Vehicle Stability Range" as a TV that weighs twice the trailer.

Quote:
It has to do with trailer stability, applicable to both U-Hauls and Airstreams. U-Haul's opinion that the bigger the tow vehicle the better can also be applied to Airstreams.
Quote:
Another opinion on towing stability.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Towing Stability Graph.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	341713
Old 05-26-2019, 04:22 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
OOS - You have contradicted yourself. The diagram you included shows that a bigger vehicle is not required for stability. A TV with weight 1:1 with the trailer and a 15% tongue weight is in the same "Ideal Combined Vehicle Stability Range" as a TV that weighs twice the trailer.
That's not a contradiction. Think about it.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #59

1988 34' Excella
Naples , Florida
Towing/Hitch Help

Boy, you all are really getting into it. I started reading this thread in the hope of getting some much needed advise on hitches, sway bars and towing. I am purchasing a 1988 34 ft Excella 1000 in Melbourne FL and plan to tow it 250 miles back to Naples FL this Thursday morning. We will be using a F 350 Diesel Truck for the job. This will be my first Airstream. The couple I'm buying the trailer from told me that they have sway bars that will go with the trailer purchase. This AS has 6 new tires and repacked wheel bearings. It is my understanding that the couple have never towed this AS anywhere before. They have been in it for 11 years I believe. Could you all point me in the right direction to a link that may help us out? This link has been interesting but as a extreme newbie, what I'm getting is that you had better have your weight distribution correct, and WD/Sway bars just help if you started with correct weight distribution to begin with. I don't even know how to have the correct WD! My AS will be dry and empty, except with what it comes with. Sorry for my ignorance. I just want to get us and my new beauty home safely!
SkeetShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:41 PM   #60
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
That's not a contradiction. Think about it.
You stated bigger is better, but the chart contradicts that assertion.