Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2022, 09:40 PM   #21
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you need a jack to raise the hitch head just use you truck's sisscor jack. It is small and handy.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:08 AM   #22

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
If you need a jack to raise the hitch head just use you truck's sisscor jack. It is small and handy.

guskmg

Easier yet, take a milk crate or similar to set the hitch head on and use the tongue Jack to lower the trailer onto it.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Easier yet, take a milk crate or similar to set the hitch head on and use the tongue Jack to lower the trailer onto it.
Milk Crate would work. Or I suppose I could bring my Harbor Freight hydraulic lift table. Honestly, this is one of the best things I've ever bought. I originally got it to swap out the oven in my kitchen, but It's come in handy dozens of times for other things. I even use it when I install and remove the ProPride stinger on my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 10.21.08 AM.png
Views:	29
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	413741  
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Hitch head goes on the stinger while the stinger is attached to the TV. Then you attach the hitch head to the trailer while the head is hanging on the stinger. I installed the PPP alone. IIRC I used a small floor jack to lift the head onto the stinger.

When you grease the ball during maintenance you release the ball while hitched and raise the tongue just enough to apply lube. Kinda the reverse of the installation.

I found the written instructions just a little lacking but the videos produced by ProPride and starring Brent are great.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:11 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
New Milford , Pennsylvania
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 diesel towing a 2019 Classic 30. Hitch weight is 890 lightly loaded and 70 PSI in the trailer tires. I installed the ProPride myself. You need a jack. I use a hitch jack measurement of 4 5/8 inches. Truck tires are at 70 PSI and tows great. Last trip to Florida I had lots of "stuff" in the bed of the truck so jacked pressure to 80. Bad. Slight sway. back to 70 and all is right with the world. Installation by yourself was not too bad. With two, I wouldn't tow without it. Just my 2 cents.
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:22 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Milk Crate would work. Or I suppose I could bring my Harbor Freight hydraulic lift table. Honestly, this is one of the best things I've ever bought. I originally got it to swap out the oven in my kitchen, but It's come in handy dozens of times for other things. I even use it when I install and remove the ProPride stinger on my truck.
I got the same lift for the same reason. Dang double ovens are heavy!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 11:13 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
FedEx just delivered some big heavy boxes. Guess it's time to get ready to install. Will be watching videos for the next day or two. Are the ones ProPride puts out the best? Any other ones on the YouTube worth checking out?
Old 03-31-2022, 03:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Warm up before you lift those boxes. Do a few stretches, etc.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 03:38 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
Warm up before you lift those boxes. Do a few stretches, etc.
Doing beer curls as I type this
Old 03-31-2022, 11:12 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Quote:
Doing beer curls as I type this

Airstream Nuts and Bolts has a good video on the installation. If you use this method you do not need a jack. I used his video along with Brent’s (Propride) for both of my installations.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:40 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Charlotte , North Carolina
Here's a couple links that do a good job of showing the install. The first link is an install on a late-model Airstream.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:41 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
We are picking up our 28’ FC in a couple of weeks and plan to drive it home without any trailer sway hitch until we get home to install the ProPride. Our travel is only 42 miles with only back roads.
In your case with 30,’ I’d have them install it before you leave.
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 10:02 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Yaphank , Arizona
Doesn't your dealer install the new hitch on your vehicle. COLONIAL airstream installed my equalizer hitch I bought with the trailer from them
scroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 10:37 AM   #34
Ebb and Flo

Tulsa , Oklahoma
let the dealer help or do it

Mechanical. Lots of torque on the bolts. Not as easy as it looks.

If the dealer can ( I mean they have done it before) and will ( some dealers won't touch it), I would highly recommend you enlist their support and expertise, if not just let them do it.

I thought I had installed mine correctly, but at the first opportunity took it to sean at propride to review. He was very polite. Efficient and kind. He smiled, and directed me to the front of the garage. And took it from there. Fortunately. It was about 90% correct.

David
davidlbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:21 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Either way.

When my Chevy Truck was getting some work done I rented a dodge 3/4 ton from Enterprise Truck rental. They rent trucks to do work. Not like the car rental. They dodge was taller and my Blue Ox didn't fit. I pulled our 30 ft AS and found it started to get sway-ish above 65mph. So I drove slower and had no problems.

I-95......I don't like it at most Amy speed. But I work 301 and 441 a lot. Less traffic. Fewer juevaniles that drove like me back then.

I-95....do speed limits or less. They mark speed for a reason. For example.....South bound entering Jacksonville you will find lower speed limits down to the 50s. around the Trout river bridge. Grooved pavement in a turn with traffic surprises even with sway control that area will give you problems it too fast a speed.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 03:18 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Well since I’ll have help I’ll just install it there and do the 800 miles with the ProPride.
In my case, the dealer (Toscano RV in Los Banos, Ca) allowed me to stay there on the lot, as long as I needed. They had full hookups anyway so why not?

The ProPride install videos on YouTube are very helpful. Just remember, in those videos, it is performed in a perfect work environment (indoors, perfectly level, etc). In contrast, I had to install it alone, on a not so level surface. There are always the unknown "gotchas", like the LP gas line on the A-frame being in the way of the PP support bracket install.

Installing it in 2-3 hours? That's being very optimistic. It's not a slam dunk, you have to torque all the nuts down, adjustments, measurements, etc. Don't rush it, just saying.
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 03:40 PM   #37
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlbriggs View Post
Mechanical. Lots of torque on the bolts. Not as easy as it looks.

If the dealer can ( I mean they have done it before) and will ( some dealers won't touch it), I would highly recommend you enlist their support and expertise, if not just let them do it.

I thought I had installed mine correctly, but at the first opportunity took it to sean at propride to review. He was very polite. Efficient and kind. He smiled, and directed me to the front of the garage. And took it from there. Fortunately. It was about 90% correct.

David
Just curious what Sean had you change about your installation?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:14 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Yea, had a couple of gotchas when I installed my Curt WD hitch on my last trailer. I’m hoping for a few hours, but can take as long as I need. Really just impacts how far I go that day before I stop for the night on the way home. Worst case I stay an extra day to finish up. The guy I’m buying the new rig from just installed one on his 23’ Flying cloud and said he’d help me out. So I think I’m in good shape.

For those saying their dealer installed the ProPride all I can tell you is the Fort Meyers Airstream dealer and the RV One Airstream dealer in Tampa both said they won’t install it on new RVs. So I guess it’s hit or miss with dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
In my case, the dealer (Toscano RV in Los Banos, Ca) allowed me to stay there on the lot, as long as I needed. They had full hookups anyway so why not?

The ProPride install videos on YouTube are very helpful. Just remember, in those videos, it is performed in a perfect work environment (indoors, perfectly level, etc). In contrast, I had to install it alone, on a not so level surface. There are always the unknown "gotchas", like the LP gas line on the A-frame being in the way of the PP support bracket install.

Installing it in 2-3 hours? That's being very optimistic. It's not a slam dunk, you have to torque all the nuts down, adjustments, measurements, etc. Don't rush it, just saying.
Old 04-03-2022, 04:51 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2024 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Yea, had a couple of gotchas when I installed my Curt WD hitch on my last trailer. I’m hoping for a few hours, but can take as long as I need. Really just impacts how far I go that day before I stop for the night on the way home. Worst case I stay an extra day to finish up. The guy I’m buying the new rig from just installed one on his 23’ Flying cloud and said he’d help me out. So I think I’m in good shape.

For those saying their dealer installed the ProPride all I can tell you is the Fort Meyers Airstream dealer and the RV One Airstream dealer in Tampa both said they won’t install it on new RVs. So I guess it’s hit or miss with dealers.
Same thing at Toscano RV in my case. They would not touch it. Nice people, but wanted nothing to do with the PP hitch. In fact, when I asked for them to tow the AS (with the PP hitch installed) out of the lot so I could have clearance (maybe 100 feet), instead, they opted to moved the other RV's out of the way.
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:38 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Ha! I have a ProPride lot bar for the knaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
Same thing at Toscano RV in my case. They would not touch it. Nice people, but wanted nothing to do with the PP hitch. In fact, when I asked for them to tow the AS (with the PP hitch installed) out of the lot so I could have clearance (maybe 100 feet), instead, they opted to moved the other RV's out of the way.