Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Independent wheel braking for trailer sway control

I saw this on a audi site discussing pulling a trainer with a Q5

Independent wheel braking for trailer sway control.

It might be worth looking at as an Airstream trailer safety mod.
https://youtu.be/cVlXlbU38zA

OEM link
www.directlink.com
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I saw this video in the list alongside while watching. Also tested by Mr Trailer. I have used this system for over 5 years now.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I saw this video in the list alongside while watching. Also tested by Mr Truck. I have used this system for over 5 years now.

My principle question of an auto system would be premature brake ware from the millions of small application I would assume are applied while turning as apposed to swaying. How can the controller distinguish between initial sway and the initial movement of a turn. While the displacements are in opposite directions the initial force detected by the controller should result in a single brake application.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
My principle question of an auto system would be premature brake ware from the millions of small application I would assume are applied while turning as apposed to swaying.
Here is a data point. Our SUV has open diffs, and relies on wheel braking for wheel slip control. It has dynamic stability control, with trailer stability control built in, albeit for tow vehicle brakes only. Rear brakes tend to get applied first by these systems, due to the rear bias for torque, around 60:40.

Our rear brake pads wore out in 130,000 km while the fronts went 150,000 km to the first change. Fronts would typically wear out first, so the difference was likely due to automatic application by the DSC. I consider there to be some effect, but not a deal breaker in the overall scheme of things.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I saw this video in the list alongside while watching. Also tested by Mr Trailer. I have used this system for over 5 years now.

I have invested one year into the Anderson system on our 2012 F-150 and 2013 30' AS. I went as far removing the factory coupler and installed the on recommended by Anderson.
It took me a lot of effort and experimentation to get the WD working somewhat in an acceptable manner due to having to play with the chain length to be able to torque it up where it would move some weight to the front axle.
As to sway control in my application it was dismal, little to non. I finally jettisoned it after a full day of white knuckle trip out west on I-76 with a lot of crosswinds and semi traffic.
Anyone interested in it you are welcome to it for the cost shipping to you from Naperville IL.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
I saw this on a audi site discussing pulling a trainer with a Q5

Independent wheel braking for trailer sway control.

It might be worth looking at as an Airstream trailer safety mod.
https://youtu.be/cVlXlbU38zA

OEM link
www.directlink.com
I have seen it demoed with a F-350 pulling a 6 or 7 k lbs trailer. It seemed to work great. Same concept as on the newer Pickups. I am going to keep an eye on it and follow its development because it looks like it would be awesome on an Airstream.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Here is a link to a video done by Andy Thompson at Can Am RV on trailer brake sway control.

https://youtu.be/EF_o__RV5kE
Old 02-26-2017, 04:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Here is a link to a video done by Andy Thompson at Can Am RV on trailer brake sway control.

https://youtu.be/EF_o__RV5kE
he does not mention the make or model of the electroic sway controler

is he using the one from http://www.andersonhitches.com
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Al ko esc

when I was in Australia, had the AL KO ESC electronic sway control. It never had to activate thank heaven. Or if it did I didn't notice it.
I talked to their techs at the Brisbane RV Show and asked about differential braking. They report that their system is NOT differential. They said they tried every combination and activating both sides at once was just as good or better than the more (I assume) complex differential system.
They have many videos that are interesting. You will see them go through a slalom course at speed with trailer in tow.
http://alkoesc.com.au/ Very interesting.
Asherstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Trailer sway is dangerous when there are uncontrolled oscillations which may be caused by a variety of factors, especially an improperly balanced and weight paired trailer and tow vehicle. In the video you can see how drastic conditions must be to induce trailer sway...an improperly weight-balanced trailer considerably heavier than the TV's GVWR, moving at a speed too high (60 mph) on a slippery road surface with the TV driver making sudden opposing steering corrections. Yes, that will do it every time. If you anticipate encountering any combinations of those conditions, especially on a continuing basis, by all means, get an effective sway control device. The one identified above by waninae39 looks like it works pretty well. But don't rely on a sway control to compensate for your inexperienced judgement or less than good driving skills.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote