Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Incessant beeping while towing with F150

Hi,
[I put this message on the Ford F150forum.net and have had some response, but nothing that solved the puzzle, hence my posting here]
I bought my 2016 F150 Lariat in January (49,000 miles) to tow my FC 27FB (5,800 lb dry weight). It has the 3.5 Ecoboost, 3.55 axel ratio, and the max tow package. The PO had never towed anything, by the look of the hitch receiver. The two times I have towed the trailer for more than 10 miles two different unexplained beeping/alarms have sounded.
The first time it was after 1.5 hours at moderate highway speeds (55-60 mph). It came from the dash, a triple beep that repeated five times. Occasionally another longer alarm sound (like an old Braun electronic travel alarms with the continuous beeping). No warning lights or any designation appeared on the dash or the console. It repeated every one to three minutes for more than an hour, then stopped. I called a mechanic buddy and asked him if he had any experience with these sounds; he had not. I thought it might have been relaying a weather alert from my iPhone, so I turned off all weather alerts and, coincidently, the sounds stopped. However, on the return trip from the campout five days later, the beeping began almost immediately when I turned onto the highway and continued for four hours, the entire trip.
I searched the manual. I turned off all alerts. Shut down the phone. Called Ford and tried to get an answer. They searched the manual. No dice. Even after I turned off the engine it continued until I exited and locked the door. The truck was in tow mode for this trip. The sound occurred, as noted, whether or not it was in drive. It continued after I shut off the engine until I locked the TV. In travel without a trailer no beeping occurred. All gauges read normal. Tire pressure at 35 psi. I was using premium fuel, as recommended.
Has anyone else experienced this beeping? What might the cause be?
Thanks,
Eric
Randonneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Do you have a blind spot alert/warning system?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We've seen some of the newer F150 models that have the 7 pin plug mounted in the bumper in an inverted position. The umbilical connector is then in a position that can cause an intermittent connection when towing. This will result in a disconnect alert in the system.

Two ways to check this, and see if that's the issue. First is to attach an elastic (bungee) cord under the connector, and attach that to the top edge of the tailgate. Second is to temporarily disconnect the plug itself from the bumper, flip it around right side up, and see if the beep stops.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Fort Wayne , Indiana
I have the BLIS system, but it turns off as soon as you connect the trailer.
As for the connection, the connector has an orientation post the prevents anything but one way insertion.
Randonneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Ranger , Texas
It sounds like it might be the seat belt alarm. I've had mine turned off for a long time so my memory is hazy, but I think mine would beep three times several times in a row then beep many times once. Repeating until the seat belt was put on.
Goatboy708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Incessant beeping while towing with F150

Built in radar detector by previous owner? Look under dash for add on wiring.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote