Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Max tow does not give you the larger mirrors on a 2015. You have to order the tow mirrors. It does give you different bumper and the hd coolers and if your trim doesn't already include it, the brake controller. Also I believe the 3.31 ELock differential is included. I have a 2015 Platinum FX4 with Max tow. Did not order the larger tow mirrors as I didn't like the look as much for those times towing. Waiting on the slide on extensions that I pull off when not towing.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:04 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Woodland , California
Have to wait until 2016 model year for F150 Heavy Duty option

I have been looking for a decent TV for a 25FB FC, and the sweet spot for the F150 seems to be the 3.5L EcoBoost XLT Supercrew 6.5' bed with Heavy Duty Payload option, which automatically selects the Max Tow option and 3.73 axle ratio for you. The XLT trim appears to maximize payload and offer more of the options that I want than the Lariat trim, for some reason. Unfortunately Ford has cancelled all existing HD optioned orders and postponed availability for HD until the 2016 model year. Just as well for me since I have yet to take the plunge on the Airstream purchase, but a disappointment for a lot of F150 buyers.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:05 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plaquemine , Louisiana
My only advice in recommending a tow vehicle, as I feel they are all capable, would be, if power loss in higher higher elevation bothers you any, get something with a turbocharged engine.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:22 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I was reading the additional comments and noticed I typed in the wrong information in my post. The max tow package includes the 3.55 E Lock differential. Brain lapse for a moment. Also includes an upgraded front stabilizer bar.

Chuck
Old 07-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I just read through the comments and I know that this post may ruffle some feathers but I noticed that several were not afraid to hold back their opinions so I will be open as well. I shopped carefully and took notes. Also, the question of SAE standard was asked. Here is a full article on such:

Standardized Tow Rating Procedure Finally Gaining Traction | Edmunds.com

Ford was the first of the big three to go for it. Toyota even prior to that. Nissan hasn't yet.

I want to discuss my experience with the Ram dealer and their trucks. The reason is because I have read so MANY articles lauding their superior capability. I don't find it to be accurate. Here is what I found. The ride and steering was my first critical comparison as they were the highest rated on three different reviews. The ride was, IMO like the other trucks. I did not notice any difference really. On the curvy road (their test track for customers) the steer was light and tight but the vehicle felt heavy (It was 6000#) Naturally I was driving the recommended 5.7 hemi with 3.92 axle. The manager told me that is what I needed to comfortably haul a 7000# trailer. As I mentioned in the other post, I pushed for the ecodiesel as a possibility and was steered away from it by both sales and management. Once I saw the 1400# payload figure, I knew why. In my examination of the Ram I found the door seals to be sticking out of the sides of the door cracks and the rubber ends or slits not attached to each other. This was on three of them I looked at. My assumption is that they are all that way. Additionally. The ones in the lineup i looked at had silver painted bottoms but the top color showed through on spots in the silver. Then after considering the 5.7 with the 3.92, I asked the salesman about the MPG rating on the hemi and he said the 15 whatever hwy rating was based on a hemi with the shorter gear ratio 3.21 and then he hit me with the 1460# payload figure. The manager said that it can get 200# more if I go with the payload package but... I just left disgusted.
In a nutshell the Ram was $5K less than the F-150, The Tundra was $3K less and the Silverado 1500 $2K less but I have now reviewed my paperwork and got 14.1% off MSRP-an excellent price (see True Car) toward that left side on the graph!

As far as towing capability, like Mach5 says, the XLT is the best bet for maximizing the payload/towing but these trucks all tow/haul a lot. I took mine to the CAT scale today- It weighs exactly 400#@5080, less than my 2009 XLT but remember this is a decked out Lariat being compared to a minimalist XLT. It was a good truck but just not loaded with a bunch of goodies. BTW, I found out at the dealer yesterday that the HD payload is NOW an order option on the Lariat. It was grayed out when we looked a few weeks back. They also show a dynamic trailer backing system?!?. The dealer said that those ordered from Aug forward will probably come in as 2016 models. I got the impression that several updates to various systems are also coming- radio system, transmission, etc. My 1720# payload 11,900# tow is more than enough for me. I cannot wait to try it out!

I have to say that you need to get the tow mirrors when you buy the vehicle-either included or when you order because I just checked thinking that I would add them as mine did not have them- bad move. The mirrors are a $165 option when purchased with the truck. They are outrageous afterwards. The 360 cameras, spotlights and power stuff is all a part of that mirror and they are I was told unofficially about $1200 to add! So, I will be using my Aero mirrors I guess.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #46

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Denton , Texas
We are looking to buy a FC 23 and need a truck to go with it. We really like Toyotas in general, and are looking seriously at the Tundra (5.7 engine, towing 10,000 lbs). I am very disappointed though with the poor mileage (13 city, 18 highway) and am considering other options.
Our AS dealer recommended the F150 eco boost 2wd V6.
Does one of you have any thoughts n this?

Oh, I forgot I would like to hit a lot of natl parks and tow safely in the mountains.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
You won't be getting much better mileage from any pickup unless you go with a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I had a 2010 Tundra Double Cab SR5 2x4 and it got 11 to 13mpg towing 60mph. Unloaded 19 mpg. 4x4 Tundras would probably get slightly less mileage.

What you need to look at more closely for any pickup is the payload sticker on the door. May sure the available load is enough for your needs.

Kelvin
Old 08-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
No truck will get much better mileage.
I will sacrifice a few mpg's for Toyota quality and all that power.
I get 11-13 mpg towing. Not many trucks will do better than that.
If I ever need another tow vehicle, I will get another Tundra. I will only buy Toyotas.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 08-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Well, since we cannot in fact get a new F150 with all the options we want AND the HDPayload and finding a used one is like tracking down a unicorn, we started reverting back to SUV's again (we will not rehash that again here now).

This weekend we borrowed a new 2015 Yukon XL Denali. 420hp, 460lbs torque, 3.23 axle ratio, 4WD, 22" wheels, magnetic ride control, just under 1600payload (which is roughly the same as most actual F150's we've found).

I think it could be our "Tahoe/Truck" combo. Longer wheelbase, more space, easier to get he old labs in and out bc the backseat door is wider bc the wheelbase doesn't intrude into the door like in the Tahoe.

We are sleeping on it tonight.......but she's a beauty and might be OUR best combo for daily needs + towing.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
I note on HogFan's post above it sounds like the "HD-Payload package" is still not available. Does anyone insight as to when (or if) that will change?

Thanks

Doug
Old 08-30-2015, 09:49 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan View Post
Well, since we cannot in fact get a new F150 with all the options we want AND the HDPayload and finding a used one is like tracking down a unicorn, we started reverting back to SUV's again (we will not rehash that again here now).

This weekend we borrowed a new 2015 Yukon XL Denali. 420hp, 460lbs torque, 3.23 axle ratio, 4WD, 22" wheels, magnetic ride control, just under 1600payload (which is roughly the same as most actual F150's we've found).

I think it could be our "Tahoe/Truck" combo. Longer wheelbase, more space, easier to get he old labs in and out bc the backseat door is wider bc the wheelbase doesn't intrude into the door like in the Tahoe.

We are sleeping on it tonight.......but she's a beauty and might be OUR best combo for daily needs + towing.
Hogfan... it might be worth your while to swing by a Chevy dealer and check out the payload capacity on a nicely-loaded Suburban. The engine specs won't be quite what they are with the Denali, but you might gain some very useful cargo capacity, save some moolah, and have the same overall vehicle.

Denalis are great (we have a Sierra Denali HD and have had a Yukon Denali and a Yukon XL Denali) but if the Suburban LTZ gives more cargo capacity, minimally less engine specs, and saves money... that might be the sweet spot.

I would also check a Yukon XL SLT version for cargo capacity and compare that to the Yukon XL Denali.

You have to check inside the driver's door for the actual payload (cargo capacity) of the specific vehicle you are looking at.

It is possible that you might benefit more from a little more cargo capacity than from a little bit more engine. But only you can determine your cargo capacity needs.

Lastly, don't forget towing mirrors. Find out what options you have for upgrading the mirrors on whatever SUV you buy to give you better towing mirrors. And don't take a salesperson's word on anything... you must confirm with a reliable source if you are to know for sure.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:58 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

Hey DHart, does the Suburban have more cargo space? Or equal cargo, but less $$ for just a little less engine power?
Old 08-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan View Post
Hey DHart, does the Suburban have more cargo space? Or equal cargo, but less $$ for just a little less engine power?
Aside from very minor trim differences:

Tahoe LTZ = Yukon SLE
Suburban LTZ = Yukon XL SLE

These vehicles are practically interchangeable, but do differ slightly in looks and perhaps some minor options. I would be equally happy with either, if the looks, color, features were as I wanted.

Interior space-wise, the Chevy Suburban is exactly the same as the GMC Yukon XL and the GMC Yukon XL Denali.

Chevy Tahoes & Suburbans, GMC Yukons and Yukon XLs, and Denalis all come from the same design, parts, quality, and share the same assembly line, as I recall. They only differ with small trim, styling, and decor details.

Denali models are differentiated with having engines tuned for slightly more HP and torque... giving them something slightly tangible to set themselves apart from the rest of the Chevy and GMC twins.

Remember that the more optional goodies that are added, including a bigger engine, that takes away from cargo capacity (payload). And since each vehicle is optioned out differently, the cargo capacity will vary from individual vehicle to individual vehicle.

I know that Denali has worked its way into your emotions by now, for sure. But if you can just hold out a little longer while you look closely at the Suburban LTZ models and the Yukon XL SLE models, check out the cargo capacities, check out the pricing, pit one against the other, then you can make your decision one way or the other a little more confidently and assuredly.

In the end, Chevy Tahoes & Suburbans, GMC Yukons and Yukon XLs, and Cadillac Escalades are the industry standard for SUVs. That's why whenever you see celebrities, dignitaries, high level polticians, etc. arriving... they most often arrive in black Suburbans, Yukons, or Escalades. They ARE awesome vehicles, all practically identical except for trim and minor details, and are the industry leaders for full-size SUVs. And they have been for many decades.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:33 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I just noticed something interesting about the specs posted on the GMC website for the Yukon XL Denali.....They now have the specs for 2015 and 2016 available, so of course I had to take a look at the payload.

For 2015 "Max Payload" is 1519 pounds. For 2016, it goes down to 1491.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:34 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . in spite of recent comments like 'I will only buy Toyota' . I'm on my 3rd Ford And prefer them based on my experience, & I think others should do the same. I had a Tundra & didn't like it. But we're all different & make different choices . . .Do your 'due diligence' and make your choice. . . there are a lot of choices out there, digest all the B.S. here and pick what you like. . .and get out there ! regards, Craig
Old 08-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Sorry DHart, originally misunderstood what you were mentioning about "cargo capacity" and thought you were referring to actua space rather than available payload!
Old 08-31-2015, 12:19 AM   #57

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
I note on HogFan's post above it sounds like the "HD-Payload package" is still not available. Does anyone insight as to when (or if) that will change?

Thanks

Doug
At this point I'm not sure if you can still order 2015s, but you will soon be able to order the 2016s that start production in October. I think what Hogfan meant was that you can't order HD Payload in a fancy truck. Lariat Base (500A) is the highest trim level at which you can add the HD Payload option (627) and the next one down is XLT Mid, you can't get it on the XLT Luxury trim either.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 08-31-2015, 06:31 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

Correct
Old 08-31-2015, 06:40 AM   #59
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
The Yukon XL SLT 4x4 5.3L with max trailering 3.42 rear end ratio $61,925 MSRP
Curb weight-5775
Max payload -1725
GVWR-7500
Max Trailering-8000

The Yukon XL Denali 4x4 with 6.2L $70,220 MSRP
Curb weight-5981
Max payload -1519
GVWR-7500
Max Trailering-7900

Both good options in my opinion.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Old 08-31-2015, 07:50 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

For some reason the Yukon XL Denali has a 3.23 ratio - b/c of the larger tires perhaps? They are 22" tires
Closed Thread