Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 09:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
I'm Parallel Parked 6 Inches From a Wall, When I Pull Out Can It Hit the Wall?

I parked my 20' Flying Cloud in front of a house parallel parked 6 inches from a wall. When I got the AS straight the TV was still at a slight angle so I unhooked the TV and rearranged it so now the AS and TV are in a straight line.

My question is when I pull out of here and go to the left will the back right bumper of the AS (the one 6" from the wall) somehow swing into the wall? I'm not the best with geometry so I'm not sure exactly how the AS follosw the TV and whether somehow the bumper could pivot right 6" even though the car is going left.

If this is a possibility is it better to start with my TV at an angle in the road or should I start with it straight as I have it now?
mrpettit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:12 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Metuchen , New Jersey
You should be okay if you have enough room to slowly make that left otherwise you would have to try to match the TV angle it was in to pull out. Also have a spotter and walkie talkies.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
GenXair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
The tongue is further from the pivot point (the wheels) than the rear of the trailer, so the rear swings less and in the opposite direction from the tongue movement. So if you turn left while moving forward with the tow vehicle the rear of the trailer swings right.

If I were in this situation, I would try to drive as straight as possible beyond the wall. If a turn is required I would do it as slightly as possible. I would not make any quick/sharp turn.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
In my opinion, if you can do it the best approach is to pull straight forward and gradually turn left to get away from the wall. If you pull the tongue to the left, the rear will pivot right, but not as far as the front goes left.

I once parked my trailer next to a wall with a post at the end with the trailer connected to a front hitch on my truck. When I pulled out hooked up to the rear, not pulling at the same angle as I pushed in, the bumper and the rear curved segment got a little too cozy with the post.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #5
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Slow and easy with plenty of room.. I once had the k turn the rig and only had four parking spaces to do it in. Two each side. Dn plan n that again.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
You've basically got to pull it out straight as far as possible before beginning the turn. If you turn too sharply the rear swing of the trailer will probable hit the wall...you have already figured that out. I think it doesn't make any difference whether the TV is straight or on an angle, except on an angle the rear swing is going to happen immediately but on a straight pull you may clear the corner of the wall with a Little bit of turning so the swing will miss.
I would be trying it to see what will work. You got it in so it has to come out, but the geometry is different backing in; than pulling out!
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:27 PM   #7

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpettit View Post
I'm not the best with geometry so I'm not sure exactly how the AS follosw the TV and whether somehow the bumper could pivot right 6" even though the car is going left.
I have successfully taught more than one trailer towing novice, including my wife, how a tow vehicle and trailer track using a toy truck and trailer in a sand box or sand tray. The sand holds the wheel tracks so you can see how they do and don't track one another and you can see how the front and back of the trailer swing vis-a-vis the tow vehicle.

The toys do not have to be exact replicas of the real TV and trailer as long as the wheel locations are roughly in the same proportion as the real thing. It is enough that you can visualize what happens when...

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
For departure, you should be able to back the tow vehicle in at the same angle as when you arrived, and unhooked to move the TV. As long as your angle of departure is not greater (less parallel to the wall), you should be fine. A spotter ahead of the tow vehicle who can also see the bumper in question, and whom you can see through the windshield, would be good insurance IMO.

[This assumes that did not "jockey" back and forth before the trailer got located in its final parking spot. If you did, you should replicate the parking steps in reverse order +/- with a spotter in place.]

Quote:
. . .
If this is a possibility is it better to start with my TV at an angle in the road or should I start with it straight as I have it now?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
I have successfully taught more than one trailer towing novice, including my wife, how a tow vehicle and trailer track using a toy truck and trailer in a sand box or sand tray. The sand holds the wheel tracks so you can see how they do and don't track one another and you can see how the front and back of the trailer swing vis-a-vis the tow vehicle.

The toys do not have to be exact replicas of the real TV and trailer as long as the wheel locations are roughly in the same proportion as the real thing. It is enough that you can visualize what happens when...
Thanks..that is a great idea!
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
-- snip -- when I pull out of here and go to the left will the back right bumper of the AS (the one 6" from the wall) somehow swing into the wall? -- snip -- is it better to start with my TV at an angle in the road or should I start with it straight as I have it now?
Disclaimer - Not being there means that my take on your position may be flawed. Consider the following, but verify what is required and develop your plan based on you skills and ability. Use a helper who can see how close you are and stop often (inches, not feet) to check. Have someone hold traffic and do not hurry.

The ball on your hitch will go to the right when you turn the TV left - rear axle on the TV is the pivot and the hitch ball is behind the pivot. So that lever arm will move the front of the trailer toward the wall as the TV turns left. So, unless you have significant space to pull forward and slowly move away from the curb, you need to repeat the movement that you used to park the trailer. That means you need to return the TV to the hitched position that you ended up in when you parked the trailer.

Default - If you are blocked in front wait for or ask the folks who have the vehicle parked in front of you to move. Never be shy when it comes to protecting shiny.

Good luck. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
You had me at "I'm Parallel Parked 6 Inches From a Wall"

Whatever you did, just undo it...
Old 07-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
One addition - Be careful turning to the right when leaving the parking spot. A right turn pivots the tongue to the left and the rear of the trailer to the right which is not what you want until you have clearance. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I like the go slow and have a spotter with a walkie talkie - I'd be assuming yes, the rear end will hit the wall in the right (or wrong) circumstance
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
pull straight ahead and gradually move away from the wall until you some space. I have to back in next to a fence in my yard so I have practice (both backing in and pulling out) Basically you are just going to drive away.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
If you got it in without hitting the wall, then you can get it out without hitting the wall. Reverse the procedure.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
Moving forward and turning left....

Here is how I see it. Unless you are turning left at a ninety degree angle without moving forward at all you should be OK. Moving forward while turning left will move you away from the wall without moving the rear into the wall. My Airstream always follows my tow vehicle....moving forward will move you away from the wall at the same rate as turning left....ONLY MY SIMPLE LITTLE OPINION....please always use a spotter when in any situation where you feel uncomfortable....you feel that way for a reason....trust your instincts.
ldireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Selinsgrove , Pennsylvania
I back my 22 sport into my 100+ft driveway each time about 6 to 8 inches from a wall on my left (drvr side). I pull out slowly very gradually turning right and keeping an eye on the rear of the camper via my mirrors.
TinkersToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
Jeez...I have issues like that in my own driveway. I've been thinking of getting one of those trailer dollies that e-trailer sells so I can park my Airstream without the TV
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldireland View Post
Here is how I see it. Unless you are turning left at a ninety degree angle without moving forward at all you should be OK. Moving forward while turning left will move you away from the wall without moving the rear into the wall. My Airstream always follows my tow vehicle....moving forward will move you away from the wall at the same rate as turning left....ONLY MY SIMPLE LITTLE OPINION....please always use a spotter when in any situation where you feel uncomfortable....you feel that way for a reason....trust your instincts.
Sorry, but this is not true. As others have stated, the rear of the trailer will hit the wall if you turn away from the wall too quickly. I know because I've done it! Fortunately the rear clearance light on our Sovereign sticks out farther than anything else at that point so it took the hit. We ended up with small dent where the light was which mostly pulled out, and we had to replace the light. I also caught the end of the bumper on the wall which pulled the bumper off bending it at 90° where it attached at the other side of the trailer. No great loss there, the bumper was in poor shape when I got the trailer and there is no bumper trunk. I patched the bumper up and while it's obviously been repaired at least it looks no worse than when I got the trailer.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #20
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
So if you pulled into the wall going forward why not simply backup away from the wall?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote