Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
Hey T4 did you know a Derek Lisk USAF CCT at Halo School?
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

Tipton , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
Hey T4 did you know a Derek Lisk USAF CCT at Halo School?
No Sir. Only two CCT guys worked there when I did and he wasn't one of them.

T4
T4HALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
OK thanks
retired C-130/141 loadmaster S3 planner here
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Bluffton , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Cloud View Post
I have been confused with almost every thread that I have looked at on the forums. That is why I will rely on the experts for my answers. It took 20 min at a seminar and a 5 min conversation afterwards with Andy T at an RV show to be sold on his expertise and knowledge. Please just call them and be reassured.
Wasn't Wally B an innovator, experimenter and inventor ? He figured out a way to get it done and then went and did it !!
Didn't they call him crazy ??
I emailed CanAm yesterday about our situation with the Santa Fe. Thought it best to explain in writing rather than bumble and babble around like I do sometimes. Haven't heard anything back as of yet. Our Sante Fe is AWD, which I failed to mention in the email. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing, or if it matters at all. I've gotta tell ya, I'm kinda scared to death. I wonder if we should just go with the '99 Suburban and a quality hitch set up ( oh Lord....that's another debate...) We had to tow it back from Virginia...slowly...without anything but the ball hitch, which I don't want to do again, but the little thing followed right behind with no problems...even with the barrage of semi's blasting by us on I-95, wind, and narrow construction routes on I-40. . I won't lie...we did have to have a cocktail when we finally arrived home.
Mtnlvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
St. Catharines , Ontario
Search out the experts in the field for anything that you do and you will have the peace of mind that you will need. There are too many experts out there that do not know all of the facts, nor have the experience and or the expertise. Be patient for the reply. It will be well worth it. Then and only then will you tow with the confidence that you need.
I will !!!
Silver Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I don't know which path you will chose but you are taking the right steps to improve your towing experience, which will make your Airstream experience much more enjoyable.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #67
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnlvrs View Post
I emailed CanAm yesterday about our situation with the Santa Fe. Thought it best to explain in writing rather than bumble and babble around like I do sometimes. I won't lie...we did have to have a cocktail when we finally arrived home.
Hang in there and be patient. The Can Am folks can help.

Our car is lighter than your Santa Fe and our 23' is much larger than your 16' Sport. The highway drive at 100kph, even with semi's passing is a one finger on the steering wheel experience.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Just caught up with happenings here.... home renovations can be tiresome, eh?

Just to summarize,

1. No State or Province specifies manufacturers' tow ratings in it's towing regulations for RVs. GVWR, GAWR and tires yes, but not the tow rating.

2. Can-Am RV is no fly-by-night business knocking out poor hitches to unsuspecting trailer folk. Airstream and many in the automobile industry think Andy Thompson knows his stuff and he's advised many businesses as well as sitting on the advisory panel for the new SAE towing ratings. If that isn't good enough for you then nothing is.

3. If Can-Am says the Santa Fe will tow then that trumps any opinion heard here.

4. Horrible stuff for T4 and his flip over and can well see why bigger may appear more attractive. Doug is right, though, well set up with good suspension and low CoG will work. Just a thought, but how heavy is the tractor on a semi compared to it's fully laden trailer? I know the hitch system is different but the weight differential must be enormous.

5. Finally, anyone anticipating using something other than a truck to pull an Airstream, you lose nothing by seeing what the good folks at Can-Am have to say. They may not persuade you but you'll at least get the alternate view.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Thanks everybody for your advice, and encouragement. We have a trip coming up this Sat, so I needed to get the towing dilemma settled. I didn't hear back from CamAm, so we went to the RV dealer here, Tom Johnson Camping Center.

After reading all the posts here, plus other threads here on the same topic, I decided to go with the Suburban. I think you'll agree that there are MANY opinions on the subject, and I'm just too new to comfortably make the call on the Santa Fe. I found out the hitch I had put on when I bought the car is a class II. (after talking with Hyundai). I did take it to Tom Johnson and have them take a look. Their opinion was the WD hitches were too heavy for our Bambi 16, based on what they had. They recommend the basic Reese sway bar, and adding the transmission coolant. I would need to replace my class II hitch with class III.

Knowing that the Surburban is definitely capable, and the class III hitch is already there from our previous 28 ft Alumalite, we decided to go with it.

So here goes...I'm holding on to my hat!...The recommendation was the same. Based on the trailer wt, the Surburban capabilities etc, they installed the Reese sway bar, no WD.

Because the Suburban is old, we're shopping around for a new tow vehicle. (Jeep Grand Cherokee, diesel??) Depending on what we end up with, the lighter WD hitch is still our choice, based on what I've read here.

So, there it is...hit me!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #70
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Just a thought, but how heavy is the tractor on a semi compared to it's fully laden trailer? I know the hitch system is different but the weight differential must be enormous.
When I drove a big truck 20 some years ago, the empty truck and trailer weighed #30,000. The truck around #20,000. The max gross weight was #80,000, so the truck was 25% of the fully loaded combination.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
When I drove a big truck 20 some years ago, the empty truck and trailer weighed #30,000. The truck around #20,000. The max gross weight was #80,000, so the truck was 25% of the fully loaded combination.
Thanks Lance. It's the argument I use when people tell me that my TV is too light for the trailer.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnlvrs View Post
So, there it is...hit me!
Nah, you tow with whatever you feel is best for you. I'm quick to bang the drum for the smaller TV because that's what I use, but you have to go with what's comfortable, and practical, for you. The Santa Fe will work but you do need some mods; the Suburban is usable from day one.

Again it's your choice, but you might consider some WD at some point, even though the Suburban can cope with the weight. It's always better to have the weight spread over all the axles.

Hope you have a grand time out on the open road.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #73
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
St. Catharines , Ontario
I'd didn't take me long on the forums to realize that the argument for towing with a smaller vehicle is one that could never be won.
Just be happy and confident in what you choose so that you can enjoy the experience and have fun.
I think that is what it is all about !!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Cloud View Post
I'd didn't take me long on the forums to realize that the argument for towing with a smaller vehicle is one that could never be won.
Just be happy and confident in what you choose so that you can enjoy the experience and have fun.
I think that is what it is all about !!!!!!!!
The argument IS won - it's just that there are a few people out there who remain unconvinced

Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #75
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
St. Catharines , Ontario
True !!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Nah, you tow with whatever you feel is best for you. I'm quick to bang the drum for the smaller TV because that's what I use, but you have to go with what's comfortable, and practical, for you. The Santa Fe will work but you do need some mods; the Suburban is usable from day one.
Yup. I tow with a tank, you should see the looks I get on the highway.

-Marcus

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Yup. I tow with a tank, you should see the looks I get on the highway.

-Marcus

Not going to break any speed limits though, eh?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Thank you so much everybody, especially Silver Cloud and MrUKToad (what a hoot of a name..) I really do appreciate all the input. It has helped me so much, and I'm excited about our trip. (Jordan Lake State Park) Now...if the weather will just cooperate. My son and his friend will be in a tent on the same campsite. It doesn't look like it will be above 40* at night, at most. Something tells me we may have company...

My sincere thanks for everything! It would be cool if we all met someday at a giant Airstream rally!

My best to you all.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #79
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
St. Catharines , Ontario
Enjoy the journey !!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The weekend Toronto Star just had a review of the latest Hyundai Santa Fe. The new tow rating is 5,000lbs.
Wonder if they actually improved something or is it a marketing strategy ploy.