Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2020, 07:06 AM   #101
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
That is one reason I often keep my iPhone (with CarPlay or Apple Play on the dashtop screen) navigation on even when I know I am staying on a certain major road for a while. The nav will always say "stay in the left two lanes" when appropriate. In my experience gives plenty of warning too. Also like the fact it will update with traffic conditions and offer alternate routes when it would save time, among other nice features.
Hi

Works fine in less tangled parts of the country. I have an ever growing list of roads that it will tell you "keep left, keep left, keep left, ..... exit right in 0.2 miles ". Needless to say, that sort of thing is not very helpful on a 5 or 6 lane wide road....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
This conversation has been going on since the invention of the wheel. Apparently, some on this Thread were around to assist in its invention.

If your tow vehicle and Airstream have tires that exceed manufacturer's stock, a reliable hitch and tow vehicle... Common Sense and Driver's Ability are what limit anyone towing speed.

Otherwise the highways would be covered with wrecks and mayhem. From my short life on the planet... traveling the Speed Limit has worked.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
How Slow Do You Tow?

I usually drive within 2-3 MPH of the speed limit when traffic allows. If the weather is crappy or traffic is heavy I slow down appropriately.

I verify speed with my GPS because Toyota typically sets their speedometer to reading at least 2 MPH high at about 55 MPH according to my checks.

Most days in Southern California that makes me a rolling speed bump. But hey, I leave lots of space so the speeders ca easily get around me and get to the LEOs waiting for them first. I keep score and watch the fun.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Drive Road Conditions, not Speed Limits

Just a comment about Highways and Traffic.

Most Western States have well maintained Federal and State Highway systems.

Speed Control is NOT the problem.

We lived very happily on the Front Range of Colorado. The highway system into the mountains east to west and on the east side of the Front Range, north to south.

Then Urban migration outside the state, from their chaos and overpopulated metro areas hit the Colorado proverbial fan. Two to four lanes of GRIDLOCK of the massive population shift to Colorado. Bumper to bumper traffic from Colorado Springs to the last major exit in Colorado at Fort Collins. We build a home in Boulder City, Nevada and left Colorado.

Once passed the Fort Collins exit... no traffic to or from Wyoming.

The Speed Limit was 70 to 75. Traffic was 80 to 0. Rear End stop and stop again. Rolled over travel trailers on straight stretches of the Interstate and the locals take the side routes to detour the mayhem. This blocked our access for we country bumpkins getting into town. This is Urban Sprawl creating havoc for everyone. No speed was safe.

Salt Lake City and Park City, Utah traffic has become no better. Beautiful climate, booming economy... and everyone is coming. Towing a trailer coming from the south will turn your grey hair... red.

Wyoming Interstate 80 and 25 are well maintained and traffic moves well at 80mph limits. It is the high cross winds from the North to South that will get someone not familiar with the wind. Calm mornings often become Wind Blizzards... sans snow, rain or sand.

Maybe a herd on antelope moving through during the day. A herd of deer after sunset would set the speed limit to locals.

There are more Road Hazards to consider than speed. Western Arizona is finally filling all the huge pot holes and damaged asphalt from the bumper to bumper 18 wheeler traffic. Who needs a speed limit when the right lane is an obstacle course and the passing lane is full of 18 wheelers?

Rmkum and I have the natural self survival instincts for travel. Drive the Road Conditions, not the Speed Limit.

Montana did not have a Speed Limit during the DAY. Many western States had a lower NIGHT limit, not because traffic was heavy... but the wildlife eating the lush grasses alongside the highway were slow to cross. Western Kansas when the speed limit dropped to 55mph to... save something or other? Highway Patrol had parking lots along the Interstate 70 getting Thank You's. I was caught twice on my way to Colorado that first month within ten miles. I sped up in Colorado.

Rest Stops. When a State Highway Department had left over Federal Money... REST STOP. A little birdie explained to me how that worked.

This should be my Last Post. This is like making a 'crunchy peanut butter and banana sandwich'. Once you get started... you cannot quit.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:20 AM   #105
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We are pulling our 25FB at 65 just like the 23FB, both with the Tundra. Just drove 1,200 miles without any issues. Did have one interesting situation develop just south of Birmingham. This guy pulling this half of a oversized double wide came barreling by me in a spot where we had guardrails on both sides of the road. I looked, he had about a foot to spare on his left side, and there was about two feet between us. That was with me over on the right shoulder. I guess he just assumed I’d pull over. He made it through without any problems, but there were much easier stretches just down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77BD61C5-BCEF-4FA1-AF9D-C1044C1543EC.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	361131  

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote