Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2021, 06:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
How often to you check your tire pressure?

After having a blow out on a SOB trailer several years ago I'be been pretty obsessive about checking tire pressure every time I go out. Eventually I got a TPMS system which gives me pressure and temperature of each wheel. If a catastrophic blowout occurs, eventually you'll get a warning, but it may take a minute or two for the readout to get to the monitor and you can still get damage from an exploding tire.

Because the sensors go into "sleep mode" when the tires are rolling, I have to drive a bit before I start getting readouts. So before I pull out of my spot, I take a hammer and whack the tread of each tire and listen for a reassuring "thunk" on each one. If a tire has gotten significantly low, the sound will be different than the other tires and I'd pull the sensor off and check it manually and look for a leak. But the thunk method gives me enough confidence to start rolling and after a couple of minutes I'll get live pressure data on my monitor.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:41 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Depends on how long the trip is.....on a long cross-country as many as 3578.👍
Or as many times as I look at the monitor.

I guage cold before every outing, it's more dependable with a quality instrument.

BTW I don't have to 'roll' to get a reading, and it goes to sleep only when I put it to bed.
You may need a signal booster...I did.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-22-2021, 06:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I have an Off Brand TPMS system. It does have a booster. I may upgrade to a TST or something like that in the future. Hopefully not due to blowing out a side panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Depends on how long the trip is.....on a long cross-country as many as 3578.👍
Or as many times as I look at the monitor.

I guage cold before every outing, It's more dependable with a quality instrument.

BTW I don't have to 'roll' to get a reading, and it goes to sleep only when I put it to bed.
You may need a signal booster...I did.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-22-2021, 06:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
I'll admit, since the TPMS monitor is built right into the vehicle for us, we have a screen that we flick over to and monitor it when we don't need to navigation map.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’ve found that my Eez-Tire TPMS system recognizes a change in pressure almost immediately.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I’ve found that my Eez-Tire TPMS system recognizes a change in pressure almost immediately.
Which model do you have?
Old 09-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thanks Dennis, had a brain fart...that's also the one we have, and it's the rear view we have the booster for.

This is the updated version..the only difference I see is the colors.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Thanks Dennis, had a brain fart...that's also the one we have, and it's the rear view we have the booster for.

This is the updated version..the only difference I see is the colors.

Bob
🇺🇸
Wow, they sure are proud of the Booster ($90 extra). Looks like they are selling the booster for $55 on their website.

I know my off-brand system does not update every 6 seconds like these guys claim. I'll have to check it out (Free returns!)
Old 09-22-2021, 07:54 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Wow, they sure are proud of the Booster ($90 extra). Looks like they are selling the booster for $55 on their website.

I know my off-brand system does not update every 6 seconds like these guys claim. I'll have to check it out (Free returns!)
I brain poofed...it's the rear view camera on the AS that I needed the booster for.😵*💫
You should be good on the 25'.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-22-2021, 07:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I think I have this model:

https://eezrvproducts.com/shop/ols/p...ez-rv-tpmsmonc

I do not need a signal booster for my 23FB.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Just installed TPMS and it is very accurate. But before I did at the beginning of every long drive. Plus I would walk around the trailer at every stop. Highly recommend a TPMS system.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:07 AM   #12
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
On a vehicle often an observant driver will notice the early signs of a tread separation/bulge by noticing slight vibrations at speed or shimmy when slowing to a stop. The first time I noticed this I didn't have enough sense to know what it meant and it cost me a blowout at highway speed. Over 20 years later it happened again, a very slight jiggling of the cups in the cup holder. This time I was smarter. I pulled over and closely examined my tires and found signs of a slight bulge on the right rear which I was able to replace and avoid the consequences of a sudden failure.
On a trailer you don't have that advantage, you can't feel an out of round or bulging tire. For that reason tire engineer Roger Marble recommends jacking the trailer up on a regular basis and slowly rotate each tire watching for out of roundness and uneven tread patterns. Placing something like a block of wood close to the tread surface helps to see uneven or bulging areas.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
How often to you check your tire pressure?
That's the beauty of a TPMS.
You check it every time you look at the monitor.
Always before pulling out in the morning.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:21 AM   #14
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post

Because the sensors go into "sleep mode" when the tires are rolling, I have to drive a bit before I start getting readouts. So before I pull out of my spot, I take a hammer and whack the tread of each tire and listen for a reassuring "thunk" on each one. If a tire has gotten significantly low, the sound will be different than the other tires and I'd pull the sensor off and check it manually and look for a leak. But the thunk method gives me enough confidence to start rolling and after a couple of minutes I'll get live pressure data on my monitor.
Which TPMS did you buy? Mine go to sleep overnight but in the AM I just press the reset before getting under way and within a few minutes all tires update to current values.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:39 AM   #15
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Which TPMS did you buy? Mine go to sleep overnight but in the AM I just press the reset before getting under way and within a few minutes all tires update to current values.
I do the same thing with my TireMinder TMPS. First thing on my checklist is to have it search for current pressure for all tires. By the time I've got halfway through my checklist the new pressure readings are showing.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This off-brand el cheapo. It seemed to work ok, but I'm never confident the sensors are actually communicating with the display even with the booster. And the display can be a bit hard to read sometimes. It takes a while for it to "wake up" and the only way I know it's updating is by watching the temperature increase. Of course once you've hit road pressure and temp, you really have no way to know it's updating unless it rains and the temperature goes down. If you unscrew one of the sensors, an alarm will go off. Sometimes almost instantly, sometimes it take a while.

I don't know if any of these higher priced systems are significantly better in that regard.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:24 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Cleveland , Georgia
Fast Blowout Warning with TPMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Hi all,

I have switched from AS to a Class A MH and I tow a Subaru Forester. Recently, the toad had a catastrophic blowout but I did not detect it. I went on towing the car with the front-L tire turning into spaghetti and didn't feel or hear a thing until passing motorists alerted me to it.

Would a TPMS on my toad tires give me quick warning of a sudden blowout? If there is a delay in getting the warning on the monitor, all the damage would already have occurred. Would the faster response time of the Eez-tire system that Dennis mentions be an answer to my problem? Or would any TPMS give me the early warning I need?

BTW, the MH has a built-in TPMS so there's no problem there.

Thanks for any guidance on this issue?

Krikati
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:26 AM   #18
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
In the morning when it is cool prior to traveling. Set to 60psi

The TPMS lets me know while on the road if something changes.*

*TPMS is not really meant as a tire pressure gauge, rather a tire pressure change. People tend to use it a pressure gauge, it is not.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Check before every trip.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
My approach to tires

Step 1 - Replace tires with Endurance
Step 2 - Drop spare tire, check date code, condition, and pressure yearly
Step 3 - Install TPMS - I think that I use tire minder with booster
Step 4 - Regularly check for even wear after every longish road trip.
Step 5 - Replace tires well before they wear out (aka before you hit the wear bars or they approach date code).

A blowout on a trailer is a fairly catastrophic event depending on where it happens. It is the one issue I work very hard at to avoid.
Peter C is offline   Reply With Quote