Old 08-10-2020, 08:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Austin , TX
Hitch recall!!

Just bought a brand new international (not the serenity) 25FB. I am loving it and canít wait to take another trip. Iím new to the AS life and bought it because I can take my dogs with me, plan better, plan at the spur of the moment and have more freedom. I also am traveling alone and am learning solo. So the story goes, I took my new AS to Corpus to try it out. I unhitched to go to the store, when it was time to leave I noticed the hitch flap Or release lever (sorry If thatís the wrong term) wasnít engaged. I pulled the truck up a smidge to get it to lock on but was still a little weary. Anyways got home fine, looked up some things on the webs but couldnít find much. IĎm at the dealership (thatís where itís stored) a couple days ago to head out on a new adventure when the hitch did the same thing. I asked the tech to look at it. Well after a lift test the hitch completely dropped my truck ball and itís going to get a new hitch.

He said there is a recall and my VIN actually didnít fall in the recall but clearly I got a dud of a hitch so please everyone double check your hitch!

atxsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
What year is your trailer?

DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Meanwhile, your coupler is either the Attwood (older) or Demco (newer), Both have a place for a pin to be inserted so the coupler latch cannot pop open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190331_105402.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	375417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 12.56.26 PM.png
Views:	11
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	375418  

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Since you described your International 25FB as "brand new" I'm going to assume that you have the DEMCO coupler that Airstream recently began installing on their trailers.

There was an announced recall on this coupler that came out at the end of 2019. Due to a possible manufacturing problem a few of the DEMCO units will not grab properly onto the ball even if the coupler latch is down and locked in position. That sounds like what is happening with your coupler. I had mine checked, it was within spec, and nothing further was required.

I'm surprised by a couple of things. Since this is a known issue it's odd that your dealer didn't test for this before the trailer was ever sold even though it fell outside of the VIN range for the recall. Second, the solution to the problem is a simple fix that involves the installation of spacers to bring the clamping mechanism back into the correct position so it can secure the ball. It doesn't involve a "new hitch" which would require cutting off the old coupler and welding on a new one which is something I'd be leery of. Unless, of course, the problem with your couple is something else entirely.

I hope you can get your situation squared away without too much more difficulty.

ďThe thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.Ē
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

"You can't fix stupid...but you can work with it"
-- Wiley Miller

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:27 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Austin , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Meanwhile, your coupler is either the Attwood (older) or Demco (newer), Both have a place for a pin to be inserted so the coupler latch cannot pop open.
The hitch was popping no matter a pin or not
Old 08-11-2020, 01:28 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Austin , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Since you described your International 25FB as "brand new" I'm going to assume that you have the DEMCO coupler that Airstream recently began installing on their trailers.

There was an announced recall on this coupler that came out at the end of 2019. Due to a possible manufacturing problem a few of the DEMCO units will not grab properly onto the ball even if the coupler latch is down and locked in position. That sounds like what is happening with your coupler. I had mine checked, it was within spec, and nothing further was required.

I'm surprised by a couple of things. Since this is a known issue it's odd that your dealer didn't test for this before the trailer was ever sold even though it fell outside of the VIN range for the recall. Second, the solution to the problem is a simple fix that involves the installation of spacers to bring the clamping mechanism back into the correct position so it can secure the ball. It doesn't involve a "new hitch" which would require cutting off the old coupler and welding on a new one which is something I'd be leery of. Unless, of course, the problem with your couple is something else entirely.

I hope you can get your situation squared away without too much more difficulty.
The funny thing is it worked flawless at first test. I was there watching. It also worked again when I was shown how to adjust for EZ sway bars properly. It failed after about 5 times.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:29 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Austin , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsunshine View Post
The funny thing is it worked flawless at first test. I was there watching. It also worked again when I was shown how to adjust for EZ sway bars properly. It failed after about 5 times.
They said it does involve a new hitch as it falls within it faulting
Old 08-11-2020, 01:31 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Austin , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpas View Post
what year is your trailer?
Old 08-11-2020, 06:52 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Austin , TX
Quote:

Just wanted to send the article https://rvtipoftheday.com/general-ti...trailer-hitch/

It says it was welded out of tolerance which means they must weld a new one on.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:08 AM   #10
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Is this of interest, NHTSA recall document. Lots of details.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...9V753-9253.PDF

And Belbein's post that sorta started the awareness here at AF.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...-201251-6.html

Post 81 has details from JC and 163 has a nice view of the field repair shim, no welding required.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Are you sure you have the correct size hitch ball? If yours is 2", your hitch will pop off. Correct size is 2 5/8"

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Just wanted to send the article https://rvtipoftheday.com/general-ti...trailer-hitch/

It says it was welded out of tolerance which means they must weld a new one on.
Respectfully, I think you may have that wrong. It's true that the backplate on the hitch was welded out of spec which prevents the coupler from clamping onto the ball. However the remedy is not to weld on a new hitch but rather to do the following as described under "Airstream Recall Remedy" in the article you linked:

"For the final remedy, dealers will add a shim plate to the backside of the ball coupler clamp to put it in a position to apply the required clamping force on the tow ball, free of charge".

The procedure described above doesn't involve welding. If the dealer is truly going to cut off the old coupler and weld on a new one then your problem is different and more serious than that described in the recall documentation or, worse, they don't know what they are doing.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-- Wiley Miller

Old 08-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Austin , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Are you sure you have the correct size hitch ball? If yours is 2", your hitch will pop off. Correct size is 2 5/8"

Pat
Lol yes.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Austin , TX
Quote:
Respectfully, I think you may have that wrong. It's true that the backplate on the hitch was welded out of spec which prevents the coupler from clamping onto the ball. However the remedy is not to weld on a new hitch but rather to do the following as described under "Airstream Recall Remedy" in the article you linked:

"For the final remedy, dealers will add a shim plate to the backside of the ball coupler clamp to put it in a position to apply the required clamping force on the tow ball, free of charge".

The procedure described above doesn't involve welding. If the dealer is truly going to cut off the old coupler and weld on a new one then your problem is different and more serious than that described in the recall documentation or, worse, they don't know what they are doing.
Sorry but you may have it wrong. It was told to me by airstream will be welding on a new one not just putting a shim. Putting on a shim does not fully remedy my situation. Boy people are sure out to prove things wrong in here. Just trying to alert people to what is happening.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:56 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Austin , TX
Quote:
Lol yes.
Like I stated before. It worked about 5 times and then didn’t because it is a faulty demco
Old 08-12-2020, 08:05 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
DALLAS , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post

Pat
Never heard of a 2 5/8" ball.
Phantom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Sorry but you may have it wrong. It was told to me by airstream will be welding on a new one not just putting a shim. Putting on a shim does not fully remedy my situation. Boy people are sure out to prove things wrong in here. Just trying to alert people to what is happening.
Sorry for the misunderstanding; just trying to keep the facts straight.

You linked to an article in your post that referred to the original clamping problem with the Demco hitch, with the obvious implication that this was also the problem on your new Airstream. FWIW, most affected owners were notified about this by Airstream late last year and, like me, had their couplers tested or repaired if necessary. Again, the repair for that original issue did not require welding.

For the benefit of those, like yourself, who might not previously have known about the recall and are just now reading about it, I was trying to clear up any confusion about what kind of fix is required. If welding is actually needed in your specific situation, then clearly your problem is both somewhat different and more serious than the one described in the article. However, it is not the norm.

That's the only point I'm trying to make; I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong. Good luck with your repair.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

-- Wiley Miller

Old 08-12-2020, 09:39 PM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom98 View Post
Never heard of a 2 5/8" ball.
Should have been 2 5/16

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:31 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Austin , TX
Quote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding; just trying to keep the facts straight.

You linked to an article in your post that referred to the original clamping problem with the Demco hitch, with the obvious implication that this was also the problem on your new Airstream. FWIW, most affected owners were notified about this by Airstream late last year and, like me, had their couplers tested or repaired if necessary. Again, the repair for that original issue did not require welding.

For the benefit of those, like yourself, who might not previously have known about the recall and are just now reading about it, I was trying to clear up any confusion about what kind of fix is required. If welding is actually needed in your specific situation, then clearly your problem is both somewhat different and more serious than the one described in the article. However, it is not the norm.

That's the only point I'm trying to make; I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong. Good luck with your repair.
Regardless my point on this thread is to alert people to test the coupler since my VIN was not in the recall. All I can tell you is what the dealer and what airstream is telling me. I still am dealing with a faulty demco product that either falls into the recall or not. If it doesn’t then they probably need another recall. The point is to call this out so people can be safe and double check. What the fix actually entails probably doesn’t need as much attention as that will obviously be determined based on what is wrong. You have stated and restated what it says the fix is, yes I read that document as well, and they are telling me that’s not the fix.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #20
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
2 5/16". Oops. Never was good at fractions.

Thanks, Richard.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote