Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Boyden , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Isn't is amazing that after generations of hitches being built that a company can produce one that doesn't work right?

It looks like they are trying to solve it, but would you trust a company that can't build old and simple technology correctly?

I guess Airstream saved a few pennies by switching brands. That has been company policy for years—cut costs and then figure out the problems you caused later.
Gene,
IMO it's not amazing that Demco can produce a coupler that doesn't work right. This goes for any manufacture of any product. undoubtedly somewhere along the lines tolerances will stack up or a process will fail, or human error will come to bite you. This could relate to any and all Mfg items. The part that is unacceptable to me personally is that the quality controls did not catch it.

We as company worked very hard to find an acceptable solution to fix the issue. However the list of acceptable solutions was very limited. I also don't expect everybody to be able to trust Demco after dealing with a bad coupler and I am sympathetic the people having to deal with the issue. This is only exasperated by the fact that you do not get to choose what coupler you use. If you want a new Airstream, you get a Demco Coupler. So as a result of that I try my best to be available directly to the end user of the product via this forum.

In Airstreams defense, they did not save any pennies switching to Demco. They could have replaced the Atwood with any number of other direct off the shelf imported couplers similar to the Atwood, but instead they chose to go the opposite direction.
Demco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Boyden , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
The problem reported by the OP has added an important new fact: the hitch coupler problem extends beyond the original recall.

That is an important fact.

I don't believe the OP was treated very fairly by some in this thread.

"Shoot the Messenger" seems to fit.
I would like to reiterate as I have stated previously, that the recall as it pertains to AS owners in terms of Make, model, and vin ranges is not controlled by or even known by Demco directly as it passes through multiple hands prior to it receiving any kind of identifier that is used in the Recall.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #63
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Folks,

Just a performance point about the new Demco hitch. I follow the Midwest Truck YouTube channel and saw this video The Tail Wagging the Dog and watched as they recovered the TV and heavy tandem axle dump trailer with construction debris after a rollover. I know it's not an Airstream. At about the 13:50 mark start watching very close and you'll see the new Demco coupler not only survived this rollover event it disconnected w/o issues when it was time to disconnect it.

IF I ever need a new coupler, I'm getting a new Demco. For now the coupler gets extra respect connecting and disconnecting.

Kudo's to Demco for stepping into this discussion.

Gary

S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demco View Post
Gene,
IMO it's not amazing that Demco can produce a coupler that doesn't work right. This goes for any manufacture of any product. undoubtedly somewhere along the lines tolerances will stack up or a process will fail, or human error will come to bite you. This could relate to any and all Mfg items. The part that is unacceptable to me personally is that the quality controls did not catch it.

We as company worked very hard to find an acceptable solution to fix the issue. However the list of acceptable solutions was very limited. I also don't expect everybody to be able to trust Demco after dealing with a bad coupler and I am sympathetic the people having to deal with the issue. This is only exasperated by the fact that you do not get to choose what coupler you use. If you want a new Airstream, you get a Demco Coupler. So as a result of that I try my best to be available directly to the end user of the product via this forum.

In Airstreams defense, they did not save any pennies switching to Demco. They could have replaced the Atwood with any number of other direct off the shelf imported couplers similar to the Atwood, but instead they chose to go the opposite direction.
I for one think DEMCO handled this situation very well. That a welding machine went out of tolerance is something that can happen to any manufacturer. I guess there are some disgruntled former airstream owners who have never made a mistake in their professional life. I just wish I were that perfect.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:35 AM   #65
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
I for one think DEMCO handled this situation very well. That a welding machine went out of tolerance is something that can happen to any manufacturer. I guess there are some disgruntled former airstream owners who have never made a mistake in their professional life. I just wish I were that perfect.
You are of course entitled to your opinion. Couplers are something where the results of failure can be disastrous and therefore mistakes should not be allowed to happen. The technology is not new. If a welding machine goes out of tolerance, why was it out of tolerance for a long time? Considering all the trailer owners who got bad couplers, it must have been out of tolerance for a long time. How about couplers that we’re not so bad that anyone noticed yet, but still substandard that may fail in a year or two or three? Anything that is as critical as couplers should have the machine that makes the parts checked and double checked daily. That obviously didn’t happen. Has anyone filed a complaint with the federal highway safety agency? Shouldn’t there be a broad based recall?

As for the snide remark about making mistakes—there are mistakes that are inconsequential, but ones that affected freedom and people’s needs were ones where I was extra careful. But I never claimed to be perfect and I don’t manufacture couplers.

Atwood seems to have sold off several product lines. I know power jacks were sold to LCI, a company that immediately stated it would not observe the three year jack warranty that Atwood had—you can’t unilaterally refuse to live up to contract terms previously agreed to. When a company sells off parts of the company, consumers have to be careful. Of course, when you buy a trailer, as the Demco rep said, you have no choice on most of the components and have to go by the reputation of the manufacturer.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #66
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Takata airbag recall, 63 million.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
I used to work for a guy who was a former test engineer/designer at one of the major auto manufacturers. Later, he got lots of calls from folks that had this or that problem with their new vehicle. One such problem stuck in my cranium. His latest 'problem call' was from a beer salesman. The salesman would go into a liquor store, shoot the bull for while, take an order - all while leaving his new car's engine running to keep the air conditioning running, so the car would keep the interior cool for his next move down the road. One day his A/C crapped out. Why, he asked. My boss told him that his new car was a sort of 'test-pig' in the higher scheme of things. It was a common procedure to pull one strand of wire from a component wiring harness and repeat. They would keep pulling a strand until a certain number of A/C failure reports would come in from dealerships across the country. Then, they would re-insert the wire(s) in the manufacturing process. Just image what the cost would be without this 'build-to-failure' process - especially when you're talking about millions of units.
Onward to another story. This big car company hired a 'fresh-out' engineer. He designed a wheel bearing that would never needed to be lubed and would way outlast the vehicle. The rookie was excited to present his design to a review board. They were delighted with it until one senior manager asked him "How much per unit based on several millions required?". He replied "About 11 cents each more than the existing product." The board's recommendation was to fire him immediately, when the senior board member said "He's just a rookie - give him some slack - he'll learn." So, he stayed and learned about the world of competition.

Demco/Airstream are big players in RV-world. Give them some slack. The problem will go away - especially after you bring it to their attention. I know I would. In a competitive world complaints matter. It hurts the 'bottom-line' and the smart guys listen - if they're smart.
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 01:00 PM   #68

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeGX View Post
I too have a Demco EZ on our 2020 Globetrotter 23 FBT. Sometimes the ball will completely drop out of the coupler while lifting to install the WD bars. Even bending a locking pin so much I had to drive it out with a hammer and another pin.
I also have a Parkit 360 battery operated dolly. It has a nut the draws up tight against the coupler, pulling down on the ball to make a good stiff connection. I can pull the ball out of the coupler while tightening the nut. The trailer has also rolled backwards when the dolly did not - flipping the dolly over - pulling the ball out of the coupler - dropping the trailer onto the driveway dragging the jack about two feet on the concrete. I now put the jack directly into the hole of the dolly and have worked with Parkit 360 about the trailer brake control operation issue.
Did you get a fix for your issue? I was never informed of the recall even tho my TT was listed as one with potential problem. I’m 2k miles from home and trying to get the fix before driving back. Any insight is appreciated.
EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 08:43 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Boyden , Iowa
Hey Eric,

If you want to give me a call we can see what we can do to help you out before you head home. I will shoot you my Cell # via DM.

Thanks Josh