Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Chicago , Illinois
Hitch Lock

I'm a total newbie. I'm leaving on my first ever trip with my 23 International and plan to be on the road for the entire summer (lucky me). My wife is very nervous about security particularly that the AS might get stolen when we're off in town or just driving around in our TV away from the AS. Living in Chicago we worry about things like vehicle theft -- and getting shot on the street :-(

So first question is: Does this happen? Do folks back up their trucks and steal ASs?

Second: Should I consider more than a padlock on the hitch tab such as a Coupler Vault Pro? Obviously I'd like to avoid the expense but...

Thank you,
David
Drcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Not many thefts of AS but generators they like to steal bikes other easy things. I use Master Lock Co. no. 35 that I painted brite red, [highly visible in my opinion they look for a trailer easier to steal with out a lot of trouble]. It fits over coupler has pin that goes up into coupler can't be cut like padlock. You insert key provided that lets allan key insert into bottom then turns pin up into coupler then withdraw allan key then turn key back to normal, the only way to remove is by picking lock. There are numerous threads on forums about locking AS. but this a simple anti theft lock. This lock is not expensive, believe around $35.00 but I never pur. as came w/horse trailer that wife pur. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Follow up about Master Lock. there are 2 on ebay now, 1 is up tonite also they are not obsolete
Old 06-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcrow View Post
I'm a total newbie. I'm leaving on my first ever trip with my 23 International and plan to be on the road for the entire summer (lucky me). My wife is very nervous about security particularly that the AS might get stolen when we're off in town or just driving around in our TV away from the AS. Living in Chicago we worry about things like vehicle theft -- and getting shot on the street :-(

So first question is: Does this happen? Do folks back up their trucks and steal ASs?

Second: Should I consider more than a padlock on the hitch tab such as a Coupler Vault Pro? Obviously I'd like to avoid the expense but...

Thank you,
David
I just use a padlock on mine, but I don't live or camp in Chicago.

I've never felt the need for anything more and apparently neither did either of the 2 previous owners of my AS. There are other devices for the hitch, they block the hitch head from being attached to a hitch ball.

Once I read of someone's brand new $34K Ranger bass boat stolen from their house when the new owner unhitched the trailer and went inside to get something. He came out just in time to see someone with a pickup truck, chain wrapped around the trailer tongue and attached to a hook in the truck bed, driving off. If someone wants your stuff, they're going to get it. You can slow them down, make it so they go after someone else's stuff but if they want it, they're going to get it.

I worry more about the stuff outside the trailer, like a generator, bicycles, kayak, etc. They're more likely to grow legs if not secured. I have a long plastic covered wire rope with a good padlock. I put that through the alloy wheel on the trailer then through other things, like the bikes and kayak. It may not stop them but I'm hoping it discourages them. If they want the AS then it's going to make a lot of noise when they try to drive away.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Master lock has redesigned there coupler lock, it is now #ML389DAT and I found on line less than $30.00. The key goes in on side instead of underneath still same operation. In my opinion this a great lock as bolt cutters can't cut off only can be picked in key slot and no adjusting just slide on then lock, they now are painting brite red. I don't have any fin. interest in co. just think it's a good lock. Last year had to call lock smith, couldn't find key so I no what there capabilities are as to securing AS. As far as gen. I use bicycle vinyl covered cable w/kriptonite padlock.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Chicago , Illinois
Thank you for your reply. I bought the master lock on line and look forward to trying.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Chicago , Illinois
What do folks do with their stabilizer anti sway bars? I assume they are removed from the TV and AS when one wants to drive away in the TV. Off so, are these susceptible to theft? Do you put them in the TV? Mine is quite heavy.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Dcrow: Once disconnected the hitch head and bars go in the back of our pick up.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
If you are looking for a good way to move about and store the bars, we use a shotgun bag. It is the correct size, and has a shoulder strap. It is not too heavy, even with both bars inside. The 2 Equalizer bars fit perfectly inside, and this lets us move them around to store pretty easily, without getting greasy. They fit under the back seats in our TV in the bag. Or under the bed in the AS. We usually keep the hitch attached to the truck when on a camping weekend. If we do disconnect the hitch head, we put in the bed of the truck.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use a Hensley/ProPride style hitch and weight distribution. The hitch head is bolted to the frame and padlocked to the coupler, it stays there permanently. Hitch nor Airstream an easy theft unless they have the stinger, which we usually leave in the hitch head, but can put it in the truck bed if in doubt.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote