Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Phoenix , Arizona
Just ordered our 2016 AS yesterday and the hitch is being installed for us thru airstream. That way we can use our own bike rack.
Auberlee W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:25 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

san ramon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auberlee W View Post
Just ordered our 2016 AS yesterday and the hitch is being installed for us thru airstream. That way we can use our own bike rack.
When you say airstream, are you talking about the factory or the dealer?
Eonicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonicks View Post
When you say airstream, are you talking about the factory or the dealer?
I heard the same thing at the factory, including the part about fearing people might try to carry a heavy or something. But was the person who said it an engineer or an unexperienced new employee? I haven't a clue.

But thinking it might be true I've always wondered why they just didn't make a hitch with an odd shaped receiver that would only accept their carriers.That way they could limit what goes on it.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:05 AM   #24
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Installing a 2" receiver for a bike rack on the back end of an AS is an intriguing idea. Does anyone have any pictures that would be willing to share?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Phoenix , Arizona
Sorry for the delay. I had to confirm with my husband but we both believe the dealer told us this would be done at the factory while being manufactured.
Auberlee W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
A little off topic but some have used a rear hitch as a outdoor grille mount.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
I have looked at the frame at the rear, underneath the tool box area. Mine is a 2011 25 footer.
I am going to get some rectangular medium wall stock steel, weld two plates onto the ends, these plates will be drilled like the frame and bolted on either side onto the frame. The receiver will obviously be welded onto the rectangular stock, with some form of bracing.
I plan on getting a bike rack that holds two and shove it on. There is ample strength on the frame for this. I am also going with the small receiver.
I welded up my own trailer years ago, so this will be an easy job. Just not sure on using Mig Tig or Stick method. Got all three kinds of welders, Mig is the quickest method. I may corner weld the plates onto the frame, just for extra security.
jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Installing a 2" receiver for a bike rack on the back end of an AS is an intriguing idea. Does anyone have any pictures that would be willing to share?
Here are a few pictures of the receiver on my 2007.

Installed by the previous owner so I don't the usage history. I would like to use it for a Thule bike rack that I own but haven't yet. I have bee a little to afraid to after reading the warnings of frame separation.

Please give any feedback on whether this receiver is likely to give me issues down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	242275   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1194.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	242276  

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	242277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1196.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	242278  

LesMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I custom made this hitch

I built this hitch for my Safari. It uses the existing hole in the frame. I planned on drilling two more bolt holes though the skid plates. After reading about rear end separation on this forum, I never completed the installation, took it off before it was ever used. I would not recommend adding this type of hitch for hauling weight or towing. It would be ok for mounting a grill while parked.
Anyone who wants it is welcome to it for what I have in it. $35.
I no longer have the bike rack insert.

Name:	hitch on Airstream.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	473.9 KB
ID:	242279

Name:	bike rack  (3).jpg
Views:	241
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	242288
Old 07-06-2015, 07:04 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

It's the lawyers

I asked one of the marketing heads during Alumapalozza about the hitch issue and he said the lawyers are the ones who refuse to endorse hitches. I guess the are concerned someone will but a Harley Davidson on the back. They are probably right
hobiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Fiamma rack is ugly period!
It is an afterthought. It blocks access to rear compartment models. I've heard lots of folks unhappy with fit finish and durability!
If the engineers say a frame mounted hitch is ok, fund a fab shop and have one made. It's really not a big design job!
I have one on my 2006 25 FB and we are quite happy with it. It is very solid and the bikes don't jump around while traveling down the road. We pulled into a gas station and someone with another AS pulled in behind us and wanted to know about the rack. They were looking for one and followed us after seeing how the bikes were solidly attached.

An afterthought? Well, it did take them a long time to come up with this design and it is not perfect but being attached to the frame AND the shell it works well for the AS. It does interfere with the back hatch, but only a little. I store everything there now like I did before. This is splitting hairs in my opinion. It is tight so yes, the bikes will rub together. The front fork hits the rear on the second bike. If that bothers you, a little padding would take care of it.

We have had ours for about 4 years now and have traveled throughout the west without any problems. Now that Airstream has approved the addition of a receiver hitch on the back, options will increase for sure. I have followed hitch mounted bike racks and have not liked the bounce of the bikes when the vehicle hits bumps. I am sure that some are better than others in this regard as well. Again, to each his own.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #32
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I have one on my 2006 25 FB and we are quite happy with it. It is very solid and the bikes don't jump around while traveling down the road. We pulled into a gas station and someone with another AS pulled in behind us and wanted to know about the rack. They were looking for one and followed us after seeing how the bikes were solidly attached.

An afterthought? Well, it did take them a long time to come up with this design and it is not perfect but being attached to the frame AND the shell it works well for the AS. It does interfere with the back hatch, but only a little. I store everything there now like I did before. This is splitting hairs in my opinion. It is tight so yes, the bikes will rub together. The front fork hits the rear on the second bike. If that bothers you, a little padding would take care of it.

We have had ours for about 4 years now and have traveled throughout the west without any problems. Now that Airstream has approved the addition of a receiver hitch on the back, options will increase for sure. I have followed hitch mounted bike racks and have not liked the bounce of the bikes when the vehicle hits bumps. I am sure that some are better than others in this regard as well. Again, to each his own.
Has Airstream clearly approved installing a receiver hitch on the back of their trailers?
Old 07-12-2015, 05:26 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Some say it has always been okay with the newer AS. Just don't get rediculous about the weight.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Airstream will probably never saw it is OK to put a receiver on the back of your trailer. If they do and someone puts their big motorcycle on it and it damages their trailer or bike Airstream can be sued. So since humans will do anything they(lawyers)will not give the OK. With that the engineers say it is strong enough for a hitch and a bike rack. Pedal bike not motor. So you are looking at 1 or 2 hundred pounds at the most. Now all I need is to find someone who sells already made one that I can order. The place in Mich. will not make one up. Said all the trailers are different?????
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:57 AM   #35
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
Airstream will probably never saw it is OK to put a receiver on the back of your trailer. If they do and someone puts their big motorcycle on it and it damages their trailer or bike Airstream can be sued. So since humans will do anything they(lawyers)will not give the OK. With that the engineers say it is strong enough for a hitch and a bike rack. Pedal bike not motor. So you are looking at 1 or 2 hundred pounds at the most. Now all I need is to find someone who sells already made one that I can order. The place in Mich. will not make one up. Said all the trailers are different?????
Have you tried Can-Am?
Old 07-21-2015, 11:42 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Orleans , Ontario
I haD Can-Am install one on my 2013 25 FC when i bought it new from them. we talked a few options and saleguy called me back and told me they could do that with hesitation. when I picked the AS up they asked me to bring my Thule bike rack, which they tried on and also drilled a second hole to bring it closer to the AS to minimise the bounce.
Bryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:59 AM   #37
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryker View Post
I haD Can-Am install one on my 2013 25 FC when i bought it new from them. we talked a few options and saleguy called me back and told me they could do that with hesitation. when I picked the AS up they asked me to bring my Thule bike rack, which they tried on and also drilled a second hole to bring it closer to the AS to minimise the bounce.
I would think that fore and aft placement of the receiver would be helpful to minimize bounce. Would you happen to have any pictures?

I noticed a thread yesterday with a discussion of the failings of the Fiamma bike rack. I think a rear receiver for a bike rack makes sense if it is installed correctly.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Orleans , Ontario
Quote:
That should have read "they could do it without hesitation".
Bryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #39
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
That should have read "they could do it without hesitation".
Would you be willing to share pictures? Any negatives about the setup?

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #40
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Here is what CanAm is doing. They take a Arvika bike rack and mount it to the rear bumper with awning brackets and supports to the AS body. Sort of the same principle as the Fiamma rack. I still think a hitch mounted to the frame would provide more substantial support, as long as there was a strap or support from the top of the rack to the trailer body to alleviate the momentary bounce.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bike Rack 004 (Medium).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	245045  

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote