Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2017, 11:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Hensley hitchbar offset for F250

Trading in my 2007 Tundra for a 2017 Ford 250 Diesel 4x4. I currently have a 2"offset Hensley hitchbar towing a 2008 30' Classic. How much offset will I need with the F250?
Philly Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Will View Post
Trading in my 2007 Tundra for a 2017 Ford 250 Diesel 4x4. I currently have a 2"offset Hensley hitchbar towing a 2008 30' Classic. How much offset will I need with the F250?
I'd suggest that you head over to the dealer and measure the distance from the bottom on the hitch opening from the ground. Call Terry at Hensley with that measurement and he will advise you.
We switched from a 2010 F-150 that used a 4" drop bar to the maximum drop of 6" when we purchased the Ram 2500. Our Ram has air suspension and we drop the rear to the lower "trailer" setting when towing and we need all of those 6 inches.
Bruce
Old 01-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have been using my Hensley Arrow for eleven years now with three different Airstreams and four tow vehicles. The hitch bar drop is not dependent solely on the receiver height of an unloaded tow vehicle. A receiver can drop several inches when a tow vehicle if fully loaded. For instance, I have two hitch bars, a four inch and a six inch for different load situations. Measuring the receiver height of a brand new unloaded truck may not cut it.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the help. I heard about doing the measuring but my truck in on order and the Airstream is stored a good 90 mnutes away at JSH. Didn't think about the load situation Brian, thanks for that. I'll give Hensley a call and see what they say.
Philly Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Will,

I agree with the others, you'll need to measure for both your trailer as loaded - including how much the installed Hensley box's aperture/hole for the stinger drops below the ball coupler, if not already installed on your AS, & for the specific way your truck will be set-up, optioned & loaded (e.g.: 2x vs. 4x, which wheels/tires, suspension, etc.).

You may be able to get close on the truck, if you can find another one at the dealer lot or around town with the same set-up - for a preliminary measurement. You'll need to find the new aluminum bodied 2017 though, just in case there are any changes by Ford in the ride height.

As a point of reference, we've been renting the 2016 & earlier F250s for about 3 years from Enterprise Commercial, & we get various F250 Crew Cab short bed (once a long bed) in gas & diesel V8 with 4x4s (generally lightly loaded with just wife & I, 2 beach cruiser bikes, trailer spare & a few luggage bags) which all ride pretty high - depending upon what they have available each time, & with our 1960 Avion T20 (probably rides lower than your newer AS due to its drop axle) - & the 4" drop works for us.

The couple of times we got RAMs, we had to use the 6" on the Dodge/RAM 2500 4x4 & it was still a tad too short, due to their higher set receiver.

So also make sure that Ford hasn't raised the location of their receivers on the new 2017s.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
National City , California
24" to inside top of the receiver on our 2017 Ford F-250 4x4 diesel.
NordSailOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
U.S. Navy, Retired

1997 30' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
Following. I'm towing my 30 with an F150 ecoBoost. New axles raised the trailer almost 2", but the folks at Hensley advised that my 4" drop was still appropriate. Does the F250 still have a 2" receiver? When does Ford go up to the 2 1/2"? And if it's 2 1/2, can you use a sleeve or does Hensley make a 2 1/2"?
2018 F250 King Ranch 6.7L Powerstroke
Silverleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordSailOne View Post
24" to inside top of the receiver on our 2017 Ford F-250 4x4 diesel.

If that's the number then the truck will have to settle approximately 3" in the rear for the Airstream to ride level and not nose high. The largest offset they make is 8".

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #9
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverleaf View Post
Following. I'm towing my 30 with an F150 ecoBoost. New axles raised the trailer almost 2", but the folks at Hensley advised that my 4" drop was still appropriate. Does the F250 still have a 2" receiver? When does Ford go up to the 2 1/2"? And if it's 2 1/2, can you use a sleeve or does Hensley make a 2 1/2"?
Yes you can. Almost all of the F250s & RAM 2500s which we've rented from Enterprise Commercial have had 2-1/2" receivers & we've used the sleeves on the 2" Stinger for our Cub, per Terry Powell at Hensley.

I think you can order the F250 & F150 with either 2" or 2.5" receiver - I assume depending upon which towing package you get on it. Ask a Ford dealer which is which.

Hook up your trailer as typically loaded & measure on a level surface, & if it's within 1" of level front to rear it's good. If not, then get the next size up of drop stinger, & I think they'll do an exchange for a different drop for partial price, & I think they also sell refurbed ones that have come back in exchange for less than new ones. Just call Terry Powell on that.

Also, Hensley does not advise using the adjustable receivers, so they don't sell them.

Good Luck & Thanx for your Service!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 01-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post

Also, Hensley does not advise using the adjustable recievers, so they don't sell them.

Good Luck & Thanx for your Service!
Tom
///////

Every hitch company in the world uses adjustable stingers.

Hensley does not have the patent rights to use an adjustable stinger with their hitch and, regardless of the story they tell, that is the reason they do not advise using adjustable stingers.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Old 01-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #11
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
"Originally Posted by NordSailOne View Post
24" to inside top of the receiver on our 2017 Ford F-250 4x4 diesel."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
If that's the number then the truck will have to settle approximately 3" in the rear for the Airstream to ride level and not nose high. The largest offset they make is 8".
-
Shaun & All following -

They still need to measure the trailer & rig for level when they are both loaded & on level ground, in order to get the proper drop, cuz each truck & trailer can have differing set-ups & ride heights. Ideally, that would be with their own TV & TT, or else an exact one or other or both, as are their own total rigs are/will be set-up/optioned/etc.

IIRC, I think that the 2013-16 MY F250's which we've rented had top of receiver heights about 21-24" - depending on wheel/tire size, how jacked-up they were, etc. - but my 1960 Avion trailer is still with the original lower 2" drop axle.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 01-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Shaun & All following -

They still need to measure the trailer & rig for level when they are both loaded & on level ground, in order to get the proper drop, cuz each truck & trailer can have differing set-ups & ride heights. Ideally, that would be with their own TV & TT, or else an exact one or other or both, as are their own total rigs are/will be set-up/optioned/etc.

IIRC, I think that the 2013-16 MY F250's which we've rented had top of receiver heights about 21-24" - depending on wheel/tire size, how jacked-up they were, etc. - but my 1960 Avion trailer is still with the original lower 2" drop axle.

Cheers!
Tom
///////

Agree.

The top of the ball on an Airstream is 18-3/4" (19" for practical purposes) when it's level (parallel to the ground to be exact).

The top of the opening on the hitch head is the top of ball less 5.5".

19" - 5.5" = 13.5" to the top of the hitch box opening.

13.5" + 8" (max offset they make) = 21.5" to the top of the opening on the tow vehicle without any settle. 21.5" is the max height the top of the receiver can be to tow the Airstream at level with the Hensley Arrow.

The rear of the truck will settle when loaded and towing with the Airstream level so technically the top of receiver could be 23.5" if the tow vehicle squats 2".

-
Tu ne cede malis
Old 06-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #13
Motivated

1974 25' Tradewind
1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
2007 25' International CCD FB
San Jose , California
Send a message via Skype™ to MaggieMarty
ProPride/Hensley Adjustable stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post

Every hitch company in the world uses adjustable stingers.

Hensley does not have the patent rights to use an adjustable stinger with their hitch and, regardless of the story they tell, that is the reason they do not advise using adjustable stingers.

-
Hi Sean,
any idea when (and if) your adjustable stinger will be available again? I bought a 2007 25FB that came with a Hensley Hitch with a 2" drop stinger, and I believe I need a 4" drop. Towing with a stock 2011 Ecoboost XLT, the top of receiver box is just under 17". I am not liking the idea of shelling out $275 (incl. shipping) to purchase a new stinger for lack of flexibility with possible future trailers and/or TW.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:32 AM   #14
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMarty View Post
I am not liking the idea of shelling out $275 (incl. shipping) to purchase a new stinger for lack of flexibility with possible future trailers and/or TW.

You don't. Hensley will exchange the stinger for whichever size you want/need for free. Look it up on their website under hitch bars or hitch bar exchange.

Alternatively, they may also be able to sell you an extra used hitch bar if you're wanting to keep the other, try calling or emailing on that option.

Cheers OZ Mate!
Tom
///////
Old 06-03-2018, 11:23 PM   #15
Motivated

1974 25' Tradewind
1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
2007 25' International CCD FB
San Jose , California
Send a message via Skype™ to MaggieMarty
Quote:
You don't. Hensley will exchange the stinger for whichever size you want/need for free. Look it up on their website under hitch bars or hitch bar exchange.

Alternatively, they may also be able to sell you an extra used hitch bar if you're wanting to keep the other, try calling or emailing on that option.

Cheers OZ Mate!
Tom
///////
Tom, thanks for the tip in the possibility that Hensley might have a used bar to sell. I'll check in that. Unfortunately the free exchange only applies to the original owner of the hitch, and that isn't me, I'm the 3rd. owner.

We might try to recreate the adjustable hitch that ProPride used to sell.

Also, thanks for the cheers to the OZ Mate, but I have to confess that Mickey is my dog - an Australian Shepherd. I'll tell him cheers from you anyways!
Old 06-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #16
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMarty View Post
Tom, thanks for the tip in the possibility that Hensley might have a used bar to sell. I'll check in that. Unfortunately the free exchange only applies to the original owner of the hitch, and that isn't me, I'm the 3rd. owner.

We might try to recreate the adjustable hitch that ProPride used to sell.

Also, thanks for the cheers to the OZ Mate, but I have to confess that Mickey is my dog - an Australian Shepherd. I'll tell him cheers from you anyways!

Also check with Hensley on you getting the Lifetime Warranty renewed as a later owner, & if that then would qualify you for the free hitch bar exchange. If close to the same price, then you'll "kill 2 birds with on stone" as they say with buying the warranty + exchange vs. just buying the used bar.

As for Mickey, maybe put a Fosters in his bowl!

As a Yank after playing Rugby from college on for 26 years, I know a lot of OZ Boyz, Kiwis, Brits & others from the Commonwealth, so I always try to greet them, & I use "Cheers" to sign off just because.

Cheers!
Tom
///////