RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-20-2020, 11:04 PM   #1

2021 19' Bambi
Hastings , MN
Hensley cub vs Propride

We bought Hensley cub hitch already, but i just found out Propride seems better product for my 19bc Bambi. I didn't even open the Hensley cub hitch box yet, should i return it? is propride better? Is it easier to set it up? Thanks!
dabendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hensley cub vs Propride

I am totally satisfied with ProPride system. I found it easy to set up and use. I have a 22 foot International CCD that I tow with a Toyota Tacoma. My then 18 year old daughter helped install it. It is a heavy device, but I think it is very durable compared to the Hensley cub.

The whole setup tows beautifully. Installing a ProPride does not require drilling any holes in the A-frame.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The Propride is a revised and improved design making it a bit more durable. It uses all the full size components but with lighter bars for smaller trailers. The Cub is lighter duty and lighter weight which is one advantage/consideration useful for your situation. I can't say which way is the better choice.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I used both on our 16’ Bambi (it is a long story...)
They both worked just fine and I couldn’t tell the difference in performance.
I do like dealing with Sean at ProPride...
Old 11-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'm a hensley user. Nothing against a propride - but if I already had the hensley there wouldn't be enough reason to send it back and get a propride.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

42° 2' 27" N / 74° 7' 6" W , US
I was very pleased with the service and guidance I received from Hensley, I called them multiple times while installing.
One caveat ‘New and Improved’ have little meaning, and is very subjective, marketing tool, my personal thought.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Started with the full sized Hensley Arrow on our 2013 25FB International Serenity as the ProPride was really not available in late October 2012. It worked fine towing with my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI turbo diesel that had the hitch modified for weight distribution at CanAm in London, Ontario, Canada. Getting the new trailer home from California to Phoenix was not an an issue at 55 mph. After loading the 25FB to camping ready, the car was making unhappy sounds. Acquired our 2012 RAM 2500HD Cummins and a different Hensley stinger and the 25FB towed well.

I kept the Hensley Arrow with stinger and the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller when we traded for a 2014 31' Classic. It got the ProPride hitch. Have been pleased with the hitch and tech support over the years answering questions.

We bought a 2015 23D International Serenity and used the aforementioned Hensley Arrow with the original stinger and the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller with the 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI. That was an ideal towing combination. Our 23D scales 6,069 pounds camping ready with a 929 pound tongue weight. Since we replaced the stock 23D 14" tires and wheels with 15" SenDel wheels and the same sized Michelin 15" tires used on our 25FB, all the hitch settings remained the same for the 23D as were used on the 25FB.

Both hitches continue to do a good job. Due to a pending (third time) major engine repair (cost over $3,500 to replace the failed gaskets at 75,000 mile intervals), the Mercedes was sold. So I reused the stinger I had for the 25FB being attached to the Ram with no issues.

So the Ram is now used to tow both Airstreams as needed. The greater payload and storage capacity of the truck is actually a bonus towing the 23D.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Very brief history:
Once upon a time, Mr. Hensley invented a trailer hitch that would essentially eliminate sway problems. It became very profitable and the business was eventually sold but, Mr. Hensley retained the patents.
He later got with his former designer/product manager (Sean Woodruff) and together they re-designed the hitch with most 'faults' eliminated. They formed a new company and called it Propride.

The Propride hitch cost more than the Hensley - probably due to re-design and parts costs and increased profit margins.

I've taken some editorial liberty here, but the jist of this is pretty much what I perceived from my previous discussions with Sean.

Eventually, I bought and installed a Propride hitch on my SOB trailer.
Unfortunately, I left the Propride on the trailer when I sold it to a guy that was clueless about it. My SOB towed like a dream with the PP connected.

So, I am a Propride fan but, never had a Hensley anything. Right now, I have an Equalizer hitch on my AS that is very satisfactory, so no suggestions as to Hensley v. Propride. If I did it again, I'd probably go with the PP.
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
I was very pleased with the service and guidance I received from Hensley, I called them multiple times while installing.
One caveat ‘New and Improved’ have little meaning, and is very subjective, marketing tool, my personal thought.
^
X2

Keep the "Cub"

Bob
🇺🇸

I'm biased..😂 15yrs SFSG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12CDE0E7-522D-4134-82C7-45EF615A051E_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	383597  

“Change is the new normal, if nothing changes, nothing is normal, everything changes, everything is normal.”
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:58 AM   #10
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei Dong View Post
We bought Hensley cub hitch already, but i just found out Propride seems better product for my 19bc Bambi. I didn't even open the Hensley cub hitch box yet, should i return it? is propride better? Is it easier to set it up? Thanks!
Wei -

The Hensley & ProPride work essentially the same for all intents & purposes, with marginal changes between the two, probably more to be able to allow ProPride to patent theirs as a "new" design in order to avoid patent infringement on Hensley's design (ProPride's owner Sean was a former Hensley employee who struck out on his own).

Both the bigger Hensley Arrow & ProPride hitches are rated for trailers up to 10,000 lbs & 1000 lb Hitch Wt., and are both in the mid to high $2000s price range.

The ProPride's design with the "Yoke" under the A-Frame may not work for all trailers due to conflicts with the other items mounted on the A-frame, as it did not for our vintage kin 1960 Avion T20's shorter than modern A-frame - so it wasn't a viable choice for us, nor for others.

Whereas the Hensley Cub is meant for slightly smaller trailers up to 6000 lbs & 600 lb HW, but it's priced significantly lower than either of the above 2, in the mid to high $1000s. It's exactly the same components, except primarily at only 600 lb. torsion bars, a thinner & shorter base plate at the head (look at Hensley's photos for Arrow & Cub & it's clear), etc.

We've been pulling our `60 Avion with the Cub since 2013 with absolutely no issues, & it was easier for me to install by myself at then 61, with the Cub's head unit being 20 lbs lighter than Arrow/ProPride.

The Cub works exactly as the heavier duty Hensley Arrow or ProPride - there is NO difference - so long as your 19BC Bambi is at or under 6000 lb GROSS trailer wt. rating (check your weights sticker on the Bambi), & your hitch weight (HW) is at or less than 600 lbs - which you'll have to weigh that (borrow or get a Shurline HW scale).

Remember to have full LP tanks & any other tanks to get a true balanced weigh-in, & to add the 160 lbs for the Cub once installed.

Our Avion's dry/empty HW per the factory was 285 lbs & 2680 lbs curb wt. - but 2x 30 lb LP tanks & 27 gals of post-resto water holding tank at the front wall, plus the 160 lb Hensley Cub boosted our HW to 542 lbs on our 3000-3500 lb wet & loaded Avion T20 (vintage trailers were lighter mainly due to the use of lighter Marine Plywood & cabinetry - vs - modern AS's with much heavier particle board cabinets & OSB subfloors).

If your Bambi is 6000/600 or less - then install the dang Cub & enjoy safe & easy trailering.

But if you're 6001+ &/or 601+, then ask Terry at Hensley for an upgrade to the Arrow - & I'm sure that they'll make a deal with you, & maybe they'll have a factory refurbished Arrow still with their same lifetime warranty for nearer to the new Cub price.

If you want to believe the marketing hype & go to the ProPride, then you may have more difficulty backtracking your purchase of the Cub.

As others have said - from the user's point of view there is little or no difference between the two brands of any consequence.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Saint Augustine , Florida
My slightly used Propride 3P is in the garage. Put about 5000 miles on it this year but can be a real pain.

Installed an Equalizer last month to make hitch/unhitch easier. Put about 1500 miles on this setup and slightly more sway than with Propride hitch/unhitch process takes <5 minutes.

I over thought this when we got our trailer earlier this year. Suggest you make sure you know what you are signing up for aligning that stinger!. With a Bambi you may not need that much hitch.
mtflybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #12
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Here's another 19' AS owner asking about the Hensley Cub -

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ud-144694.html

Here is our Hensley Cub on the Avion - you can see the smaller orange base plate, as compared to the Arrow's in the post above:

(the black box on the silver plate above it is the Tekonsha Prodigy RF Brake Controller mounted on the trailer, but same as their under dash units, without messing with the dash, & uses a small hand control plugged into the TV's 12v/Cigarette Lighter round outlet for the brake boost & settings.)

One thing about asking loaded questions about "What is better X or Y?" on these types of forums, is that you'll get dozens of opposing opinions. It's a bit like the old joke of asking 10 lawyers for a legal opinion, & then getting 100+ opinions!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 11-21-2020, 05:32 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Shawnee , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Here's another 19' AS owner asking about the Hensley Cub -

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ud-144694.html

Here is our Hensley Cub on the Avion - you can see the smaller orange base plate, as compared to the Arrow's in the post above:

(the black box on the silver plate above it is the Tekonsha Prodigy RF Brake Controller mounted on the trailer, but same as their under dash units, without messing with the dash, & uses a small hand control plugged into the TV's 12v/Cigarette Lighter round outlet for the brake boost & settings.)

One thing about asking loaded questions about "What is better X or Y?" on these types of forums, is that you'll get dozens of opposing opinions. It's a bit like the old joke of asking 10 lawyers for a legal opinion, & then getting 100+ opinions!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
We like our cheaper simpler Equal-izer Hitch.
Vagabonds_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Actually the ProPride is rated for a 1,400 pound tongue weight. At one point our 2014 31' Classic had a 1,375 pound tongue weight when we had four Lifeline AGM batteries in a custom stainless steel enclosure behind the Propane tanks. When we upgraded to a 600 amp-hour lithium battery, the stainless steel enclosure was also removed and the battery went under the front sofa curb side of the center line. Tongue weight dropped to 1,175 pounds. The trailer scales 9,200 pounds camping ready.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:33 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

South East , Michigan
Get the Propride. Do you REALLY want an ORANGE block of metal hanging on your trailer???

Seriously, one major selling point to me for the PP, not having to drill into the a-frame of my SOB.

Another thought, if the Cub meets your current needs, great. If you think that, like many others, you will end up getting a larger trailer down the road, get the PP. Selling your current trailer with the CUB is not a major selling point for most, you probably won't get any additional $ for leaving it on the trailer. The general habit of most Hensley and PP owners is to move the hitch to the new trailer.

One other minor point, the PP stinger is adjustable if you get a new TV or trailer that don't line up like your current combo. Hensley will swap for a different stinger, but my understanding is that you have to pay for shipping.

Bottom line, both are great hitches.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Hensley cub vs Propride

Propride.

No drilling into your frame.
Fast adjust towers / WD spring bars
Tapered stinger with more clearance for easier hitching
adjustable drop shank
Each and every part is serviceable / replaceable
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #17
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Propride.

No drilling into your frame.
Fast adjust towers / WD spring bars
Tapered stinger with more clearance for easier hitching
adjustable drop shank
Each and every part is serviceable / replaceable
Thoughts from a H-Cub owner who seriously considered both H & PP -

"No drilling into your frame"
I did like the yoke not requiring drilling the frame rails, but it wouldn't fit on our short A-frame - so check your A-frame lay-out before you buy ProPride.

"Fast adjust towers / WD spring bars"
Same-same - The WD Adjustment screw-jacks are the same type of "Fast Towers/WD Springs" on both Hensley & ProPride.

"Tapered stinger with more clearance for easier hitching"
Hensley tapers the inside of the receiver box in the hitch head. Tapered stinger &/or tapered receiver box are only fractions of an inch, so neither will make much difference if you're off by much - Ya still gotta back it in pretty straight.

"adjustable drop shank"
Hensley has found problems with the adjustable drop shank tearing at the welds due to the stresses in towing use - so see their video on the Hensley website, & talk with Terry Powell at Hensley about that.

I really liked that adjustable concept because we were renting multiple TVs with different drop height needs (PP makes a Hensley version of their adjustable shank), but I went through the video etc. & with Terry Powell at Hensley - and went with the fixed stingers.

Hensley will do a shipping cost only Stinger exchange for your lifetime, should your needs change, &/or sell you a reconditioned used stinger still with their lifetime warranty for less than new (if part is available used at the time). Then make your own decision for safety.

"Each and every part is serviceable / replaceable"
All Hensley parts are also serviceable & replaceable, &/or you can send your Hensley in for them to repair/service under their Lifetime warranty - so I think that this one is same-same on this too.

Plus Hensley sells a replacement parts kit for the small bits, which is a great idea to carry with you in case something happens on the road - and we all know that "Mr. Murphy" & his "Laws" are very active in trailering!

I got a kit when I got our H-Cub, but don't know if PP sells their version.

It came in handy when a nut or washer etc. decided to run away at the campsite when I was messing with our Cub.

"Orange Hitch Heads vs Black"
Someone else above said something about not liking the bright orange hitch head - it's orange for a reason - a warning, as is the Hensley vinyl hitch head cover.

Knock your shins a few times & you'll know exactly what I mean! Heck, I still occasionally do so when I'm bipping around setting-up or taking down camp & displays at the vintage trailer rallies!

Just my thoughts on these PP issues. Both are great & very safe Anti-sway hitches, so pick which works best for your situation.

Cheers & work off that big TG Feast from yesterday!
Tom
///////
Old 11-28-2020, 08:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master

42° 2' 27" N / 74° 7' 6" W , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Thoughts from a H-Cub owner who seriously considered both H & PP -

"No drilling into your frame"

I did like the yoke not requiring drilling the frame rails, but it wouldn't fit on our short A-frame - so check your A-frame lay-out before you buy ProPride.

"Fast adjust towers / WD spring bars"

Same-same - The WD Adjustment screw-jacks are the same type of "Fast Towers/WD Springs" on both Hensley & ProPride.

"Tapered stinger with more clearance for easier hitching"

Hensley tapers the inside of the receiver box in the hitch head. Tapered stinger &/or tapered receiver box are only fractions of an inch, so neither will make much difference if you're off by much - Ya still gotta back it in pretty straight.

"adjustable drop shank"

Hensley has found problems with the adjustable drop shank tearing at the welds due to the stresses in towing use - so see their video on the Hensley website, & talk with Terry Powell at Hensley about that.

I really liked that adjustable concept because we were renting multiple TVs with different drop height needs (PP makes a Hensley version of their adjustable shank), but I went through the video etc. & with Terry Powell at Hensley - and went with the fixed stingers.

Hensley will do a shipping cost only Stinger exchange for your lifetime, should your needs change, &/or sell you a reconditioned used stinger still with their lifetime warranty for less than new (if part is available used at the time). Then make your own decision for safety.

"Each and every part is serviceable / replaceable"

All Hensley parts are also serviceable & replaceable, &/or you can send your Hensley in for them to repair/service under their Lifetime warranty - so I think that this one is same-same on this too.

Plus Hensley sells a replacement parts kit for the small bits, which is a great idea to carry with you in case something happens on the road - and we all know that "Mr. Murphy" & his "Laws" are very active in trailering!

I got a kit when I got our H-Cub, but don't know if PP sells their version.

It came in handy when a nut or washer etc. decided to run away at the campsite when I was messing with our Cub.

"Orange Hitch Heads vs Black"

Someone else above said something about not liking the bright orange hitch head - it's orange for a reason - a warning, as is the Hensley vinyl hitch head cover.

Knock your shins a few times & you'll know exactly what I mean! Heck, I still occasionally do so when I'm bipping around setting-up or taking down camp & displays at the vintage trailer rallies!

Just my thoughts on these PP issues. Both are great & very safe Anti-sway hitches, so pick which works best for your situation.

Cheers & work off that big TG Feast from yesterday!

Tom

///////

Tom I agree with all your comments in response to the individual you commented to. I would add that the installation of the PP with no drilling into the frame results in the PP being less stable and subject to slight misalignment that may go unnoticed. Hensley has shear bolts that provide the same function with a known trigger / breakage ( hence the design named ‘Shear’ ) Thanks for a thoughtful response.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote