Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2020, 11:24 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks everyone. I managed to get out.

Here's a little more info, in case this helps anyone problem solve down the road. I was at my house, trailer and truck parallel (but off) the driveway. It's at an incline, from the end of the trailer up toward the front of the truck, maybe a 2 degree or 3 degree slope. I thought of unhitching, but here's the problem: the driveway is narrow enough--and narrowly bounded on the non-mud side by trees--that once I unhitched, I would not have been able to come at the hitch of the AS from another direction, without the back wheels of the truck in the mud. So unhitching would get my truck free, but not provide a solution to getting the trailer out of where it was until everything dries out next week.

What's that you say? Did I need to move the trailer before next week? Well, ummm, actually ... no. But that's not the point. The point is that it's stuck in the mud NOW and I need to move it NOW, because ... because ... because ... just because, OK? Now go to your room.

So what I did was: I went to Home Depot (this is not an endorsement). I bought six bags of pea gravel, and six bags of landscape foundation sand. I put one bag of sand behind each be-mudded tire of the truck, and backed on to them. Then I laid the other bags under each tire and forward in the path I wanted the tires to travel up onto the driveway. Then I got back in the truck, fired it up and pulled very slowly forward. At some point, after a few feet, the tire(s) began to spin, but at that point I guess one was on the driveway, and the truck lurched up onto the driveway. Voila!

I'd certainly do this again. Once I get my front yard cleaned up. Right now it looks like a true Southern native front yard: rockers on the porch, dogs howling in the window, one car parked on the grass, truck mudspattered, trailer in the driveway, and all kinds of broken wood and metal pieces scattered around the lawn where they were thrown in frustration. All I'm lacking is a particular national party's political sign. (I'll let y'all decide which one.)

This was my solution, obviously, but y'all helped me figure it out. All of your suggestions illuminated different parts of the problem and I am truly grateful. It also helped me ice the argument with my wife about why we should have the driveway replaced with a wider and straighter driveway. Many thanks for your time and input, as always.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
...Right now it looks like a true Southern native front yard: rockers on the porch, dogs howling in the window, one car parked on the grass, truck mudspattered, trailer in the driveway, and all kinds of broken wood and metal pieces scattered around the lawn where they were thrown in frustration. All I'm lacking is a particular national party's political sign....
No broken-down car up on blocks?

In all seriousness, glad you got 'er out o' the mud.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Good save.

From the overlanding community, many of us carry traction boards as insurance for various off-road situations or recovery. They're flat plastic boards with traction nubs that are approximately 3' x 1' in dimension.

They would have done nicely in this situation. Particularly good insurance for any 2WD vehicle in similarly slippery situations. They could double as useful and safer levelers under trailer or tow vehicle wheels. Or ramps for deep dips and transitions to avoid dragging the hitch.

There are many brands available. From cheap $60/pair that are surprisingly effective and durable, to $400 for more high end maxtrax benchmark brands. Wouldn't be bad insurance to carry for a 2WD.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088T6W6DX...omotive&sr=1-2
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
Not sure if there it a good size tree accessible from the front side. Get one of these and pull yourself out. These pull up to 3 tons which should be more than enough to pull you out. Then you will have it for future uses as well!!! https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p...=67118&redir=Y
That’s the biggest come-along I’ve ever seen ...
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #25
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Handy Palm Fronds to the Rescue! 🙌🏽

I parked in a campsite where I hadn't notice during the back-in, that the previous occupier left ruts in the sand. When time to leave, my tires spun in soft, damp sand. Backward and forward, I couldn't get away! Fortunately, I was in Florida and downed palm fronds were plentiful. I used those under the drive axle and was able to escape. 😅
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-10-22 08.20.08.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	376927   Click image for larger version

Name:	RUTS_ANASTASIA_041318 20180413__01__03.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	673.8 KB
ID:	376928  

RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:44 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
One thing you might try. Take the truck out of first and put it in second gear. Now the torque on the rear wheels will be less and less likely to spin. Sometimes it works. Good Luck
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:41 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
He already freed the truck, per recent post.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
OMG. That's PERFECT. Wonderful. I could'a used it yesterday when I was up to my ankles in mud, but I probably would have been too mad to appreciate it.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Gr: I wondered about that. I tried it but it didn't take. But it might have worked with the sand and gravel.

If I'd just had canola seed.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
No broken down car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
No broken-down car up on blocks?

For a while I had my wife's car on the lawn next to the mudhole. And I also have a huntin' dog (a Beagle, but that dog will hunt) and a banjo (safely hidden in a back bedroom).

So I guess that sort of qualifies.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
The risk of expensive damage to your trailer demands calling professional help.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I used 24"x48 " pluss 1/2" of better plywood. In those days when traction eludes......both truck and tow.

Of course since I'm not the one stuck this comes to mind. Submitted for the humor.....https://youtu.be/w9WjwTrkdtE

Call the tow truck.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
Thanks everyone. I managed to get out.
. . .
Happy trials, [Sic]