Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Question Help I pulled the wires out of my 7pin conection to tow vehicle.

I got in a hurry and pulled my truck away from my 1973 31 Airstream with out disconnecting my 7pin light and brake hook up. The unit is in tact but the wires were all pulled loose and the normal configuration for wiring does not activate my brakes. I looked at the owner manual and it appears to have a very different pattern shown for both the tow vehicle and trailer than what I am seeing in the info I have. I switched the yellow wire and the blue putting the blue( brake wire?) on the center post and now I have brakes but my back up lights on the tow vehicle and trailer will not go off when the trailer is connected to the Airstream by 7 pin.
Help!!!! I am at the Fiesta Bowl in Glendale AZ and have to drive 1100 miles to Austin TX on Tuesday. I need to get this fixed before then.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
AustinAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
This should help:
http://www.airstream.com/docs/7wayplug1966-81.pdf

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Are we looking in from the front of the plug?

Thanks so much that is very helpful. I just wanted to make sure I was looking at the diagram correctly. Is this the view looking in from the front of the plug?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinAir View Post
Thanks so much that is very helpful. I just wanted to make sure I was looking at the diagram correctly. Is this the view looking in from the front of the plug?
Unless someone has changed the wire or connector, simply hook the wires up as the color on the back side of the connector specifies.

As an example, blue wire to terminal marked blue, etc.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Connector redone and has no color info on inside.

Andy
Thanks for the help but the connector was redone the year before i bought the airstream and has no info on the inside. I tried the pattern that seemed to match what was written on the female truck plug but no brakes. Any ideas. Should I wire according to diagram above sent on PDF?
Thanks for any help.
Andy Oliver
Old 01-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy
Thanks for the help but the connector was redone the year before i bought the airstream and has no info on the inside. I tried the pattern that seemed to match what was written on the female truck plug but no brakes. Any ideas. Should I wire according to diagram above sent on PDF?
Thanks for any help.
Andy Oliver
The colors of the wires for the circuits is "exactly" as you see in the diagram, for the original wire and connector.

"BUT" if someone has changed the wire, then who knows.

If the connector has been changed to a blade type, then again, you will just have to do the old trial and error thing.

The round pin connectors are aircraft type, and by far, are the best.

That doesn't help you now, but you may wish to change after you get back home.

Then if the same thing happens, you could rewire in a matter of a few minutes.

Andy
Old 01-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Maybe you can use this diagram to determine how the tow vehicle (7-way car end) plug should be configured and the diagram that azlycaster provided to determine the trailer side. Hopefully the trailer wiring has not been changed.

RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Fixed it and Got Home

Thanks to everyone who contributed diagrams and advice. I was able to use the Airstream diagram and color codes for the wires and look at the diagram on the Truck bumper and figure out which wires went where. The plug on the tow vehicle side had been converted to the blade type(berkman?) connection. Got home from Fiesta Bowl safely and with all lights and brakes working.
Thanks Again.
HOOK EM HORNS
Old 01-10-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who contributed diagrams and advice. I was able to use the Airstream diagram and color codes for the wires and look at the diagram on the Truck bumper and figure out which wires went where. The plug on the tow vehicle side had been converted to the blade type(berkman?) connection. Got home from Fiesta Bowl safely and with all lights and brakes working.
Thanks Again.
HOOK EM HORNS
You will find, in time, that the flat pin connectors are a "hazard" within themselves.

They easily corrode, one grain of sand interferes with a connection, especially the brakes and charge line.

A little more expensive 7 way "aircraft type" connector, eliminates that problem, 100 percent, since they use round pins that self clean every time you plug in or out.

Soaking them in mud and sand, for weeks at a time, will not stop it from "connecting."

Of course, the flat pin is cheaper, but that's also what you get, namely, cheap, unsure connections.

Andy

Andy
Old 01-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Good idea

I will put that on the list of repairs to be undertaken in the future.
Thanks Again
Andy Oliver