Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2023, 09:36 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBHent View Post
I have to purchase a new hitch system as the Anderson system that came with my used 25ft RB Flying Cloud (2017) is toast. That said - I don't know what to buy and was hoping for a little help on this forum. I have read several items, thinking I could procure the information I needed from prior posts but, alas, I can't find what I need. I'm hoping there is someone out there that can help me. Thank you for your advice in advance
Quick response:

We tow with a 2500 Ram 2013 Laramie. Hitch: ProPride. We've used this hitch over the last 13 years and have towed from a 30' to a 25' AS. Absolutely love that hitch. Over all these years we have never encountered any problems in interstate traffic or any other driving situation. Always felt safe and secure.

The only downside to the ProPride....there is a learning curve to hitching and installation. Installation can easily be mastered--lots of videos available.

Hitching requires close attention to the details to make certain that the hitch base on the AS is "level" to the stinger on the tow vehicle--and of course, at the proper height. Again....many videos available !
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 10:19 AM   #42

2015 30' International
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Talking Rock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBHent View Post
I have to purchase a new hitch system as the Anderson system that came with my used 25ft RB Flying Cloud (2017) is toast. That said - I don't know what to buy and was hoping for a little help on this forum. I have read several items, thinking I could procure the information I needed from prior posts but, alas, I can't find what I need. I'm hoping there is someone out there that can help me. Thank you for your advice in advance
I have an Equal-I-zer that I used to tow a 30í International Serenity with a F-350 with great satisfaction for 5 years. . I sold the Airstream and the purchaser didnít need the hitch so I still have it. If youíre interested please let me know, there is nothing wrong with it and it is a great hitch.
Scott-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 10:22 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We used a Hensley for fifteen years and have now gone to a ProPride. These hitches are quite expensive, but the actually work. There is no sway ever.

Brian
Are you suggesting that other hitches don't ?
I have been using BO for over 7 years and it works beautifully.
Been tested a couple of times at high speed crash avoidance.
Our current 2017 came with a Hensley.
I removed it promptly and installed the BO from the trailer we sold.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 10:25 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Hitch Battle

Check out the YouTube channel Wandering Weekends, he compares 11 weight distribution hitches with real world results
Cracker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 12:17 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Littleton , Colorado
Thank you all for your comments. It seems that my hitch was just fine. The gentleman that owned my Airstream had put oill/grease inside the unit and caused damage. I took it to an Andersen hitch dealer and he fixed it for me at NO-CHARGE. I am hoping to get back out on the road soon and see how it works. Thank you again for all your responses. this is a great forum for all things Airstream.
DBHent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 12:32 PM   #46
LADan

2019 25' Globetrotter
Monrovia , California
ProPride or Equal-I- zer 4 point

We found a used pro pride and love it with the 25 ft AS the equalizer was great for the 19 ft AS so no issues with either and they are great
2011 LandRover LR4 (Q MI6)
LADan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 02:52 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Not sure what your TV is but if F150 you can get a PulRite from factory if 2017 or newer. Pul Rite is the only no sway ever hitch. Others imitate but nothing is as good.
Airstream87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 03:19 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Have to purchase new Hitch System

Very true, unfortunately the PulRite appears to ONLY be a fifth wheel setup. My Airstream has a standard ball. Iím quite happy with the total sway eliminator Propride setup I have.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 06:34 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2004 22' Safari
San Luis Obispo , California
My Tow

I'm a little embarrassed to mention this lift compared to all of the $$$$$ Lifts... It was given to me from the original purchaser who sold me my 2019 27' Globetrotter basically brand new.

My TV is also a Ram diesel but a 3500 dually so it doesn't even know that there is anything back there!

The lift is a Camco ESY-LIFT (I had to go look!) in the $400 range

I suppose someone might explain why I should replace it but as a mechanical engineer I don't see anything obviously weak about it

One thing I always worried about was the RV hitch pin itself... I am now much more comfortable with my new AMPLOCK dual lock model with BOTH a keyed lock and a pin lock

I also have their trailer security lock... (and an AirTag mounted on the roof if the lock fails)
gboneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 06:39 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
highlands ranch , Colorado
Check out the B&W Continuum hitch, good thread with GoldenChase in the forum.
Replaced my equalizer hitch with the B&W, 4th trip and love it.
Colorado Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 08:53 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
Great idea that doesn't work

I love the idea Andersen is attempting, but it only works to control sway on my 27fbt. even the Portland Oregon rep admitted it was set up correctly and didn't move the weight appropriately, it was useless.
Blue ox with 1000 lbs bars works perfectly and doesn't beat the trailer to death. Great combination for a half ton truck
Dick tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 10:03 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Dearborn , Michigan
Hitch options

We have had 3 different systems over the years, all have worked fine if set up properly. Reese, Center Line, and currently Blue Ox. The latter is because our camper has a very high hitch weight(not airstream currently) and needed the 1 ton capacity of the big Blue Ox system.

First you want to know how much the tongue weight is for your airstream. If you can get your existing hitch to work long enough to take it to a truck scales do it. Weigh the tow vehicle with the trailer attached and then again with with them separated. The difference in your tow vehicle weight is the tongue weight.

Based on that a dealer should be able to recommend an appropriate hitch. I recommend that you have them install it and set it up.

When the trailer is attached to the tow vehicle, both should be level or very close to level.

If either the vehicle or trailer arenít level you are guaranteed to have issues with sway. The other factor for sway is whether the tow vehicle weighs enough to reliably tow the trailer.

Good luck.
Tom Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 10:49 AM   #53
Airstream Newbie

2021 33FB Classic
Box Elder , South Dakota
We tow a '21 Classic 33 with 2018 Ford F250 Lariat using Equalizer. The hitch came with the trailer and so far we've been very happy. We considered upgrading- but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" has become our philosophy. Four months on the road and not a problem so far.
Gunta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 11:34 AM   #54
Man of means by no means

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
Thumbs up Blue Ox Track Pro here

I'm new to towing anything other than a small utility trailer. We have a whopping 1,361 miles on our 28' FC RBQ towing with an F250 diesel. The FC has the AirKrafters lift on it. I had always read Airstreams tow quite nice as it is and with my limited experience I can say I have yet to have any sway events or anything making towing a nail biting experience. Have had trucks blow by me and vice versa with no noticeable anything; maybe my ignorance, or lack of experience, or maybe the Blue Ox is simply doing exactly what it supposed to do. No complaints and the customer support has been top notch (needed a reducer, a hitch immobilizer + some maint questions). I do like being able to back up and not have to remove or disconnect anything.