Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Harbor Freight Haul-Master Weight-Distributing Hitch

10,000 Lb. Capacity Weight-Distributing Hitch System

I thinking about buying this to tow my 66 Caravel with my 09 Grand Caravan. Has anyone bought one of these? It is a great deal using a 20% off coupon from there ad. I'm looking for any feedback.

Thanks

Ace in PA

WBCCI 2169
TAC PA-1
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you get it, resign yourself to buying another complete setup when something breaks.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
If you get it, resign yourself to buying another complete setup when something breaks.
Thanks for your reply Terry

I know some people don't like HF. But I have had very good look with there stuff. They do a very good job when it comes to returns and replacements if needed. I can get this for $152 that in one third of what a Resse will cost me. With your thinking I can buy three of them.

Ace in PA
Old 08-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflys View Post
Thanks for your reply Terry

I know some people don't like HF. But I have had very good look with there stuff. They do a very good job when it comes to returns and replacements if needed. I can get this for $152 that in one third of what a Resse will cost me. With your thinking I can buy three of them.

Ace in PA
That's what I was thinking. I've had very bad luck with getting parts for their stuff. And yes, retail on a Reese is about $400. Reese is also now made in China.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Looks like the max. towing capacity for a Grand Caravan is 3,600. So for about the same price you could get your hitch here:
Dodge Grand Caravan Trailer Hitch - 2009 | etrailer.com

Is 'That Italian place" still there - I used to live it Bethel.....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
I also have had good luck with 90% of the things I buy at Harbor Freight. You just have to be wise enough to know what to stay away from.

Having said that, I don't know that I'd buy a WDH from them. While it's several pieces, it's several KEY pieces and it's the only thing that ties your tow vehicle and your trailer together. I'd hate to skimp on something that important.

I have, and like, the HF electric tongue jack, but I'd spend the money on a Reese or equivalent for the WDH. Just my .02, of course.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Read their warranty policy on it, they don't warrant everything they sell the same. Some tools have and not others, and at the mgr's discretion sometimes. Check what happens when you get failure of product, a hand tool might not do too much collateral damage, however I wouldn't want to be the driver of a failed hitch.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
the hitch is the life-line between the TV and trailer; DON'T BE CHEAP. It's NOT only your life that is in involved, and your insurance might be involved if you have an accident. The "sharks" will be looking.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Buy 2, then you have spare parts. Otherwise, if you have probs while traveling, options are few, and prices go up.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It has no built-in sway dampening. That would be an additional expense to add separately.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Since you asked. One thing is that if the hitch is good for 10000 lbs and 1000 lbs tounge weight it might be a bit stiff for that car/trailer combination. I like the Reese Straight Line better and you can get it with 600 lb torsion arms. I feel very good about spending the additional $300 for the Reese. I like the anti-sway control built into the Reese.

I do not need 3 hitches for $450; I need one that works well. Click on the Pro-Pride site and look at the Reese that they offer there.

I do not know of anything necessarly wrong with the HF setup. But it is not something that I would want to use. I want a hitch product that I think has gone through some real development and testing and has a record of performance.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Ace

I do not know anything about the HF's hitch so do your homework before you purchase. The hitch IMO is more then a lifeline between your TV and the AS. It is a lifeline between you and your passengers.

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Interesting.... I see nothing wrong with it... looks just like my EZ-lift hitch. More than likely, it probably is the same. My only concern is that the bars seem to be rated for 1000 pounds? Might be a bit stiff for your trailer, but with the Grand Caravan's realatively soft suspension, it might work out ok.

Yes, you need sway control too.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Make sure you understand how to size your bars. The 1000 lb bars with this set-up are probably too much for your combination of trailer and tow vehicle. The 1000 lb bars would suggest that you have 500 lbs tongue weight and 500 lbs of cargo in the back of your TV. You want your bars to be as close as possible to your actual combination of weights. Over-sizing the bars by several hundred pounds will result in an overly stiff connection, which could result in damage. As far as I know, there are no options for different sized bars on the HF hitch system. If you do decide this hitch is the way to go, you can get the sway dampening device for about $30 at HF as well (bring your coupon too).

To vear off topic, slightly, on the topic of HF, I certainly use my share of 20% off coupons, but I try to buy only "dumb iron" there (nothing with a cutting edge, or a requirement for precision). Funny story, I needed to replace some pieces of steel that are roughly 3" x 1.5" x 0.25" that act as big washers tying the front and back of my trailer C-channels to the frame. A piece of mild steel bar stock would have cost me some $14 at the local hardware store, but I was at HF, and they had their small nail-puller type pry-bars on sale for $1.99. On a whim, I bought a couple of them, as they had the right dimensions for my application. By the time I got home, I was having second thoughts, as I figured I would burn up a band saw blade and a drill bit or two trying to cut what should be spring steel. Well, I went ahead with the project, and these pry bars cut like brass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0798.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	166712  
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
Looks like the max. towing capacity for a Grand Caravan is 3,600. So for about the same price you could get your hitch here:
Dodge Grand Caravan Trailer Hitch - 2009 | etrailer.com

Is 'That Italian place" still there - I used to live it Bethel.....
Sorry - one should never be doing three things at once....

Trailer hitch - EAZ-LIFT Weight Distribution Hitches on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

Complete set up with friction sway control and the ball included.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflys View Post

10,000 Lb. Capacity Weight-Distributing Hitch System

I thinking about buying this to tow my 66 Caravel with my 09 Grand Caravan. Has anyone bought one of these? It is a great deal using a 20% off coupon from there ad. I'm looking for any feedback.

Thanks

Ace in PA

WBCCI 2169
TAC PA-1
First of all I don't buy cheap tools, so I don't shop at HF. However the purchase you are contemplating can be a life or death matter. I have no idea where this is made, but if it made using the Chinese Q/C techniques, I would be very dubious about it.

Even with your light trailer, a broken WD bar catching on the pavement at highway speed can easily throw the TV and trailer out of control. at 60 mph, it is unlikely you will be able to recover. I highly recommend you go with a well tested hitch system that has a good reputation with users here.

I would sooner tow with a hitch and ball. At least then you know what you are dealing with.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Come on now Ace, quite pulling people's legs with this joke
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Just spend the extra $250 and get an Andersen WD hitch with built in sway control. Easier to hook up and 100 x better. And it's made int the USA.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Just spend the extra $250 and get an Andersen WD hitch with built in sway control. Easier to hook up and 100 x better. And it's made int the USA.
And if you want a more traditional designed WD hitch, that is also made in the USA ( well made, I should add ) that has built in sway control, consider the Blue Ox.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
I Not Sold Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Come on now Ace, quite pulling people's legs with this joke
Well Frank I didn't think I was pulling anyone's leg. But guess I was looking a that Chinnesion stuff! Lots of good feedback. Well should I be a test pilot and try it out? I think not.

Thanks All

Ace in PA