Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Grease or No Grease?

Had a discussion with another streamer about greasing certain points on the WD system. He says the only thing he greases is the hitch ball. I do that, plus all contact points on the weight bars both at the hitch and the trunion system. Which is correct?
Attached Images

banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
Had a discussion with another streamer about greasing certain points on the WD system. He says the only thing he greases is the hitch ball. I do that, plus all contact points on the weight bars both at the hitch and the trunion system. Which is correct?
The spring saddles should be coated with vaseline. It will keep it quiet, but is a poor lubricant. You want friction between cam and spring saddle. Grease the trunnions and ball.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:06 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I grease my ball and trunnions....Both of my trunnion heads have holes above the trunnion. One of the heads says "oil" at the hole.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
I used grease once on the saddles and that was it. Too messy, moved to wd40 when they start to get noisy. Might go back to grease because after 3 years my saddles are starting to wear.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Double duty for the Reese Dual Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcharb View Post
I used grease once on the saddles and that was it. Too messy, moved to wd40 when they start to get noisy. Might go back to grease because after 3 years my saddles are starting to wear.
We take the travel part seriously in our “travel” trailer and sometimes log as much as 15,000 miles in a year. Walmart and others sell white lithium grease in a spray can with a tube like WD40. A quick shot on the cams keeps them quiet without providing excess lubrication that defeated the purposes. I also prefer the white grease sold by Reese in a convenient plastic jar. I wipe off the ball and put a light coat on the upper half of the ball that contacts the coupler. While there, I also place a dab in the trunnion sockets where the pressure is placed when hitched up (upper forward and lower rear).

Over time, the round cams will wear a pair of flat spots as the trunnion ends move back and forth. This is normal. When the wear becomes excessive, simply remove the cams and flip them to the other side and readjust the turnbuckles so that the trunnions fit squarely over them with the trailer and tow vehicle in perfect alignment. That will give you double life for the cams before thinking about replacing them.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I would think that 'friction' sway control needs friction to operate properly.

This tag was on the anti-sway bar on our first AS...

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_25ba.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	464.7 KB
ID:	339208  
Old 04-27-2019, 09:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Hitch Grease

We have an Equalizer hitch.

Was set up and delivered with the bolts not torqued correctly 60-62 ft lbs and no grease. When we pulled into a campground people would come out looking for the snap pop crack creak and groan noise. VERY EMBARRASSING!

That night wife and I got out the PDF instructions. Next day we torqued the bolts to spec’s and applied the equalizer hitch lube ( provided ) to the locations as per instructions.

I also put a light coat of grease on the ball.

No more noise. We just came back from the mother ****. From Florida to Ohio and back. No noise at all. Funny how the manufacturer knows what works.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
Grease

We have the same Reese system you have.
Went one day w/ no grease....wore off 1/16” of steel
Never again dry. White lithium grease all contact points. Clean and replace every 1k mi +\-.
No noise, no wear, very happy.
18,000 mi and counting 😃.
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Reese recommends no grease on the spring saddles as it will defeat the purpose of the sway control provided by the friction of the bars in the saddle. Reese goes on to say that a little vaseline can be used if you want to quiet them down. A good lithium based grease on the ball and the bars on the hitch is all that is required.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
We have an Equalizer hitch.

Was set up and delivered with the bolts not torqued correctly 60-62 ft lbs and no grease. When we pulled into a campground people would come out looking for the snap pop crack creak and groan noise. VERY EMBARRASSING!

That night wife and I got out the PDF instructions. Next day we torqued the bolts to spec’s and applied the equalizer hitch lube ( provided ) to the locations as per instructions.

I also put a light coat of grease on the ball.

No more noise. We just came back from the mother ****. From Florida to Ohio and back. No noise at all. Funny how the manufacturer knows what works.
Bracket Jackets will solve most of your noise problem without the mess of grease ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver72 View Post
We have the same Reese system you have.
Went one day w/ no grease....wore off 1/16” of steel
Never again dry. White lithium grease all contact points. Clean and replace every 1k mi +\-.
No noise, no wear, very happy.
18,000 mi and counting [emoji2].
My spring bar saddles had rough casting/forging surface imperfections which caused point loading and rapid wear. I took a dremel grinding drum and smoothed out the roughness. Not only stopped the wear but created a much larger contact patch, which presumably would provide more friction. Seemed to help with noise as well. I used vaseline per reese, no grease.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Bracket Jackets will solve most of your noise problem without the mess of grease ...
Had them installed day 1 not a bit of difference. That area should never be greased. I love the jackets have a spare set.

The problems was on the stinger side. Bolts for the bars way! overtightened and not a bit of grease as per the instructions. Tech claimed you never ever grease. Call the Equalizer was NOoooooooooooo why we sell equalizer grease

It’s all good now!
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote