Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #41
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
I'm thinking that either you're a lawyer or for some reason you've been overly exposed to one...
I'll take that as a compliment.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Having the mirrors on my F-350 compared to my strap on McKesh mirrors I used on the Toureag - yes, better the mirror, the safer driver you will be - cannot imagine towing with improper mirrors...

LEO will sit behind you and turn on the cherries, if you don't pull over that is proof to him that you do not have proper mirrors or are scanning them. Their call to ticket when things are not safe. With LEO on this one...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
AFAIK, it is illegal in all 50 states to have a video device, whether it is a television, DVD player, or backup camera where the driver can see it while moving forward. If the driver can see the screen, it has to be off when driving, no matter what the reason or excuse for it being there is.
That's not the case. There are exceptions for safety technology or GPS. Several manufacturers are building surround-view camera systems that show what's directly ahead of the car as well as the sides and rear. They're active when moving forward; it helps when parking.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #44
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Rich,
Bummer on the ticket. Here is a link for McKesh. It has a state by state run down as far as mirror laws are concerned. I don't have extended mirrors on the Sequoia, but I can see through the trailer when towing. So I guess I'm good in FL.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I have extended mirrors for both tow vehicles, the Silverado and the '47 Chevy. I want to be a safe as possible as well as comply with the law.

From time to time, for what ever reason, we use the mirrors to take photos. Here are a couple taken from the '47 for folks to enjoy while they are reading this important and informative thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6239881.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	128355   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6239887.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	128356  

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
I have extended mirrors for both tow vehicles, the Silverado and the '47 Chevy. I want to be a safe as possible as well as comply with the law.

From time to time, for what ever reason, we use the mirrors to take photos. Here are a couple taken from the '47 for folks to enjoy while they are reading this important and informative thread.
WOW! Love that pic on the right! BabyBoomers
BabyBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Wow! I assume he rolled up behind you for the stop? So how is it you were able to see him if your mirrors were inadequate?
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
So just what are you looking at in your mirrors? And when?

I tow a lot and have for many years. I set the passenger side down just a bit so that I can see the white line at the trailer wheel and down the side of TinTater (AS) or Bonus Round! (25' boat). I set the drivers side for distance and think I can see 200' back but I better check next time I am out. I look over my shoulder for the blind spots, but would use the mirrors if I wsn't towing.

Yeah, I have a set of those aftermarket extended tow mirrors that sorta work and I sorta put them on and sorta use them - when I remember. I really don't find them that helpful but do it so that I am compliant. I secretly lust for a Ford TV with those pull out tow mirrors instead of the Chev. Suburban that I have, but - it's paid for!

I agree a warning would have been appropriate in most cases - but, he said it had been two miles! At highway speeds that means you didn't look back for at least two minutes. Somehow you didn't see him on the roadside or were not aware that he was approaching from the rear. So if he was telling the truth then he was either following too close and you couldn't see him (way less than 200') or you were committing "inattentive" driving by not being aware of what was going on behind you thereby creating an unsafe situation. Was that light in the rear view mirror red when I went through it cause it sure is red now?!

HOW ABOUT PAYING THE FINE WITH PENNIES IN A COUPLE OF THOSE US POST OFFICE "IF IT FITS IT SHIPS" BOXES AND GIVE THE LOCAL TV (not "tv") STATION A CALL WHEN YOU SHIP IT OR WHEN IT IS EXPECTED TO ARRIVE! THAT WILL TEACH THEM! HA! but them again that might get you banned from the state.

Be Safe! BabyBoomers
BabyBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Below is a driveway simulation.. The blue truck is positioned as it would be if next to your trailer in the passing lane.
Note that it is not visible in the main mirror, though it would be if you wiggled around a little. This is as seen from the drivers seat
It is visible in its entirety in the convex and would continue to be until next to you
Hey Rick,
I see your setup is similar to one my wife does. The outer mirror is pinched in too far IMHO, since 20% of the view is the side of your vehicle. Swing that baby out and I think you will see the vehicle in your blind spot.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Wow! I assume he rolled up behind you for the stop? So how is it you were able to see him if your mirrors were inadequate?
The extended mirrors are quite adequate.
We were coming home down I5 from a car event in Oregon when the line of Street Rods came up behind. Photos were taken on the move as the line passed us.

Here is a photo taken at the car event of the '47 Mercury pick-up, made for the Australian market, not sold in the US, and the small fiberglass trailer (maybe a Scamp or Bowler). The car has been updated with modern running gear etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6243149.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	128370  
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
One thing nice about my 2008 Ford F-250 Lariat with the Camper option is the remote sliding mirrors. One push and they both slide out to see well behind our 30' AS Classic. It really helps for sure. Sorry for your ticket and hope the rest of your trip was OK. Be safe out there-

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
this is what is says

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
................ But safety being an issue I do want to comply with the law. Does anyone know what it actually says ...............
316.294 Mirrors.

Every vehicle, operated singly or when towing any other vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the motor vehicle. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

The way I read this it says "highway" not a vehicle behind you. IMHO, if you had a side mirror at all you were in compliance.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
316.294 Mirrors.

Every vehicle, ... "at least 200 feet" ...
That one is worded improper..."I can see 8,000 ft behind me, but not 200...I'm good to go..."
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn

316.294 Mirrors.

Every vehicle, operated singly or when towing any other vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the motor vehicle. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

The way I read this it says "highway" not a vehicle behind you. IMHO, if you had a side mirror at all you were in compliance.
I looked up too and thought the same thing! Seems very ambiguous to me. Im looking in the civil code and vc for entries relating to a trial by declaration. Funny thing is, the local population is allowed to prove susequent compliance and gets off with a puny $25 fine. Seems like they are poaching the "foreigners" if you ask me. If he fights it they have a provision that CAN allow the court to impose an additional civil penalty just for fighting it. "those damn lawbreakers, how dare they even think about messing with our little money making scheme!, we'll show them, we'll scare them into just paying it, lest they suffer the implementation of the DREADED FEE!" lol
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Thanks AW for actually posting the official law, which does state the 200' rule and the non-moving violation that I was told. The Lexus mirrors are the same as the Sequoia. Pretty large motorized. I can see my wife at the back of the trailer when backing into a camp site. The officer in question must have caught me at a stop light from the cross street. When I saw him (in the mirrors) he wanted me to pull over to the left lane but I pulled over to the shoulder on the right. Guess he didn't want to be on the street side so he had to talk to me through the wife's passenger window. We were driving slow as we were about 2 miles from the State Park after 980 miles. Went to Walmart that night and bought the $19 suction cup model that sticks on the Lexus mirror. Though it does extent the view it blocked the view of the Lexus mirror creating an even bigger blind spot. Didn't want to get another ticket but until further research didn't want to spend more money on a temp fix. Looks like the consensus is to get the McKesh ones. On another note don't think the officer in question wanted to debate the concept of being able to see the highway behind me. They just want their easy $116.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
I looked up too and thought the same thing! Seems very ambiguous to me. Im looking in the civil code and vc for entries relating to a trial by declaration. Funny thing is, the local population is allowed to prove susequent compliance and gets off with a puny $25 fine. Seems like they are poaching the "foreigners" if you ask me. If he fights it they have a provision that CAN allow the court to impose an additional civil penalty just for fighting it. "those damn lawbreakers, how dare they even think about messing with our little money making scheme!, we'll show them, we'll scare them into just paying it, lest they suffer the implementation of the DREADED FEE!" lol
They know that since it is a nonmoving violation then the out of staters will just pay the fine. He did say I could hire a lawyer to take the proof of my compliance to court for me. Gee, wonder how much that would cost?
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, the day that I picked up my new trailer, I thought that I had everything needed. At the first campground, I found out that the ten foot sewer hose was too short for use almost anywhere. But before that, I was backing into my first back-in space and couldn't see either side of my trailer. I had to be blindly guided in. The next day I bought some CIPA slip-ons. That is all they make for my Lincoln and I wish they were wider. Without those extension mirrors, making safe lane changes would be next to impossible. You really need to see the sides of your trailer. I think you should feel lucky that you got a ticket for towing without proper mirrors instead of explaining, how you and your trailer changed lanes, ran some one that you didn't, and couldn't see, off of the road causing damage or death to some Innocent person or persons. Note: your ticket cost more than my extension mirrors cost.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Rich,
You and I have discussed the GX470 as a TV in prev. posts. We agree it works well, but I wouldn't think of towing without extended mirrors.
I'd say pay the tkt and figure that's cheap education.
Am still looking for the "perfect" mirror and ordered a set of Milenco Aero's.
Will post about how they work.
Bob

PS: I always notice that semi tractors have extended mirrors!
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
McKesh with the optional convex spots.... My wife gives me a hard time about all the mirrors on the truck, but I still like the safety margin it gives me!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wyoming 2010 445 [800x600].JPG
Views:	154
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	128409  
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
One can not have too many mirrors... extended: