Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 01:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
Good Video or 'How To' On Hooking Up to Hitch?

I'm a 12 hour owner of an Airstream. I'm at my first RV park.

I'm leaving in the morning so I felt fine just parking and not touching the hitch.

My big fear however is unhitching the trailer and then having to rehitch it again.

Is there some sort of video/how to/manual how to do this? I don't see anything in the AirStream manual I have. I've got an anti-sway stabilizer.

The dealer walked me through it, but on my own I want to make sure I get it right.

I see tons of how tos on how to set up and operate everything within the trailer but can't find anything on how to hook up the trailer to the TV. Help would be appreciated. If the TV doesn't operate I'm fine. If I can't tow the vehicle I'm in a lot more trouble.

I'm excited to be an Airstream owner!
mrpettit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:14 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
I'm not aware of any videos, but both of the Airstreams I have had extensive sections of the owners manual that describe the process in very good detail and with photos. Have you looked there?
BradB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I would search Google for a video of your particular hitch. I assume that you have a weight distribution hitch? Congrats on the new trailer! How did you sleep last night? I would be so excited that I don't think I would sleep a wink.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
i made a set of pictures showing the hitch set-up before unhitching the first time(safety chains, weight distributing and sway control)...i remember one morning having difficulty getting the coupler to latch completely, finally i stopped walked around the trailer and realized that the stabilizer jacks where not raised....
just go slow andyou will be fine
enjoy the trip

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
Here is a video from youtube, their are lots of video's relating to this besides this one.....:
Bigskyrider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I think we all go through this the first couple of times. Although it is not difficult it is more involved then connecting a boat trailer. I was taught that the easy way to connect the trailer is do the unhitching steps in reverse.

First unlock and remove the coupler lock, raise the stabilizer jacks, raise the jack and back under the coupler and attach the ball to the trailer, then attach the sway bars one at a time ( I raise the the jack to take the pressure off when attaching the sway bars) replace the pins. Lower the jack and and disconnect the platform from the jack and put away. Replace the lock and attach the safety chains and the electrical cord for the lights. Check to ensure the lights are working. I then remove the chock blocks if using. Walk around the AS to ensure everything is up to include the steps to the entrance.

One thing that I do when I have disconnected the trailer is to attach the exact number of links I use for tension to the hook up bars.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Just the basics

Before you unhitch, take lots of pictures of your hitch, weight distribution bars, safety chains, etc. Nothing like a good reference when you have to put it all back together.

Exact procedure will differ, depending on what type hitch you have. Hensleys and ProPrides are different.

With other hitches, here's the basics:

1. Align the ball on the TV under the hitch on the trailer--your local auto parts store will have a device that has two yellow balls mounted on telescoping shafts with magnets. These work well when you have to do this by yourself. Backup cameras are the greatest, wish I had one.
2. Lower the tongue jack and latch the hitch on the ball, pin or lock the hitch closed
3. Raise the tongue jack, lifting the trailer and back of the TV. This proves that the hitch is really latched on the ball, and it makes it easier to raise the weight distribution bars.
4. Attach the bars to the ball mount first and then at the A-frame of the trailer--usually an adjustment chain at the trailer end and a lever to make it possible to raise the bars and a latch to keep them in place.
5. Hook up the safety chains, emergency brake cable, and electrical umbilical cord.
6. Stand back, breathe a few times, then check all this again to make sure everything is right.

Of course, no one wants the trailer to go away without them, so make sure the wheels are chocked before you unhitch and leave the chocks in until the hitching process is complete.

Checklists are wonderful. Make a basic one, then add items to it as you find necessary.

Enjoy your new Airstream!
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
Trust your senses.
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
What hitch are you using? Instructions will vary widely depending on that.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:57 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
That video is excellent and what i used. Thank you all for your help. All is well the first week. You said it was just like towing a boat. The problem was I had never towed anything except a Uhaul once.

I feel confident unhitching and rehitching now.

My question is if I'm going to stop someplace for one night and not unhitch. Do you all use the stabilizers in such a situation? Do you use the jack to raise the AS up off of the car?

The solution I'm using tonight is just keeping everything hitched, no jack, using stabilizers in the back.
mrpettit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:41 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpettit View Post
That video is excellent and what i used. Thank you all for your help. All is well the first week. You said it was just like towing a boat. The problem was I had never towed anything except a Uhaul once.

I feel confident unhitching and rehitching now.

My question is if I'm going to stop someplace for one night and not unhitch. Do you all use the stabilizers in such a situation? Do you use the jack to raise the AS up off of the car?

The solution I'm using tonight is just keeping everything hitched, no jack, using stabilizers in the back.
I take the weight of the trailer off the truck with the jack while trying to stay as level as possible, then set all the stabilizers. i also level side to side. if i can't get reasonably level then i take the trailer off the hitch moving the truck forward just enough to clear the trailer.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote