Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #1
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Generator mounting ideas

Has anyone found a way to attach a small generator on the rear of a Air stream

Lynnsr
lynnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
There is a basic problem with mounting anything to the rear of an Airstream. The construction of the frame and shell does not have enough strength to do so successfully. The design uses the shell to hold up the frame somewhat, and extra weight can easily make it sag.

There is also an issue of stability--weight that far to the rear causes possible instability because it reduces tongue weight and can make the rear end too heavy.

There have been many documented cases of trailer sway caused by adding too much weight to the rear end. Best place for a generator is inside the Tow Vehicle, mounted over the A-frame, or simply carried in the AS forward of the axles...

I have a smallish (3200 Watt) dual fuel Champion Inverter generator--it lives in the bed of my pickup under a tonneau cover when in motion, and chained down when in use as far as I can get it from the AS.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
If you are near a good welding shop they would be able to fabricate a rack to mount your generator on the tongue between the propane cover and the AS. I know that Can-Am RV in London, ON makes and installs them.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I've carried a Honda 1000i on my 2007 20' strapped to the top of my battery box. A 2000 would fit, but it risks wearing the front panel of the Airstream if you take the generator out a lot. I pop riveted aluminum angle iron to make a track for the gen so it wouldn't slide around. NY to AK and return with no problem.