Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2020, 06:20 PM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomcatA View Post
Somewhere I read/heard that raising the tongue after applying the x-chocks is not good for the tires. Can someone comment?
Let's just say I don't install them when the trailer isn't level.
Or when hitching up. I always block the wheels when running the haha stinger in. Why...'cuz you do NOT want to jam those X chocks into the tires by forgetting to remove them or exerting an excess of rolling force.
The one negative feature.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-06-2020, 07:24 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Somewhere I read/heard that raising the tongue after applying the x-chocks is not good for the tires. Can someone comment?
I do it all the time. I haven't had an issue yet. And my drive is at an extreme slope so I lift it to the max. Trailer hasn't moved at all using the x -chocks. Even when hooking up the ha-ha.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Back up to position your trailer, put your foot on the brake pedal, set the parking brake, put it in park, take your foot off the brake pedal. Chock it with X chocks lower the front jack. Take the trailer off the ball. Done.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Sounds like minutia to me. IF you were raising the tongue five feet, then maybe, since the tires can't rotate to allow the axles to move. But we're talking a few inches.
If the premise were true, then you could never level the trailer after disconnecting.
Now what is bad for the tires is to drive off with the x-chocks still in place!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Personally, for me, Fastway's OneStep chocks are better than X-Chocks. They easily lock snugly on the tires and pretty much prevent the trailer from moving. I really don't think they can slide on the ground as some common chocks can. In my case, I have less trailer movement while camping now than I did when I was using X-Chocks. They are relatively light, easy to install and remove, and with over 2 years of use, they still look brand new.
https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/onestep-chock
Old 11-06-2020, 09:15 AM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I chock and lock my wheels on my trailer when I unhitch. But inevitably there is pressure on that ball and coupler dependent upon the level of the site. One of the things I've noticed that the jack can unusually labor because it is under this stress. I handle that a couple of ways.

First on unhitching my Equal-i-zer I typically raise the front of the trailer to help get the bars off. Once that is done, I lower the trailer enough to get the jack plate off the ground. At that point, I will notice some movement of the trailer or vehicle as that initial force by the bars are removed and the ball becomes a little more centered in the coupler. At that point I find that now by opening the coupler and raising the hitch, the jack post has the front to back stress pulled off it because the ball is more centered in the coupler. I really think it really is important to get that jack post in a position where it is only having to deal with up and down vertical forces than having a post that is undergoing forward or rearward stress also. Takes a lot of stress off the lifting mechanism.

I use the same thought pattern when hitching up. As we all know we may get some travel as coupler engages the ball and technically you can be locked in prior to the coupler holding 100% of the hitch weight on the ball. At that point the jack might be under some forward to vertical stress and it's evident as you raise the nose to help you engage your weight distribution bars.

What I do as I lower the coupler on to the ball and it engages, I continue to lower the coupler until the jack plate is off the ground. You will noticed in many cases that the trailer will better adjust itself into the coupler and the jack's lower pipe and foot will adjust itself as the stress is removed. At that point I will now raise the front of the trailer to accommodate the installation of weight distribution bars. In that process the jack mechanism is only working on the weight of the trailer, than having to fight the front or rear stress being placed on the jack.

What I'm doing pretty much replicates the process noted in attempting to move the tow vehicle to eliminate that same stress.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Back up to position your trailer, put your foot on the brake pedal, set the parking brake, put it in park, take your foot off the brake pedal. Chock it with X chocks lower the front jack. Take the trailer off the ball. Done.
Double bingo....😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #28
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Hint: when you unhitch place the vehicle in D and pull forward enough to straighten out your rig. Then place the TV in neutral and loosely chock out TT wheels so everything has room to move a little. Remember when you operate the tongue jack it also moves the TV & TT forward or aft as you raise it up or down.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:15 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryk View Post
Do not use the blocks...

Hi, BINGO.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Trailer movement.

I use the x Locks, chocks, and I pull the emergency stop cable and this activates the brakes on all 4 tires. This is overkill I know, but I had a experience at Fall Creek Falls state park when I was a rookie.... no damage to trailer or TV.
My underwear ???? Well that’s a different story.
The stepper the site the more you can experience roll off.
I also agree with only using one leveler under the front jack. Raise all four stabilizers To prevent damage.
DBSteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
First I assume you are in level ground. Apply TV parking brake. Chock trailer wheels. Could chock TV wheels if feel needed. I do not detach safety chains until last thing. You may need some grease on ball, which is hanging up so Ball and TV raised higher than needed to detach. I unlatch hitch socket raise my hitch Jack up so see hitch lifting TV ball as TV levels. I then step on TV bumper and give a jump. This pops ball from hitch so then can raise hitch without lifting ball. This lack of upward force diminishes TV movement. Be Safe.
Ky76Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:12 AM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, BINGO.
Hi W.C. Bob

Under the Jack right?

E.C.
Bob
Old 11-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
I use these, absolutely the easiest to use. Just look at your rear view mirror to look at the level ball on the front of the trailer. The put the front portion of the kit in and your done!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CZJXQRX...8-16115d17af4f
HoverLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
If the truck is moving, as you say...

Remember to use the hand brake before going back to the hitch.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Get rid of those yellow plastic blocks and replace the with a 6"x6" block of wood. I have also removed the wide foot on the end of the jack so that it bites into the wood block. No damage has ever occurred on the end by removing the foot.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Fairhaven , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
Get rid of those yellow plastic blocks and replace the with a 6"x6" block of wood. I have also removed the wide foot on the end of the jack so that it bites into the wood block. No damage has ever occurred on the end by removing the foot.
Ditto, I've done this with all my trailers
davincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:51 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Indian Rocks Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
This works for me 99% of the time:

Once you are in the site, check that your rig is level side to side, add blocks (or not) as necessary. Then chock the wheels of the trailer, tight. Remove the sway bars if you have them.

Jump back in your tow vehicle and put it in neutral — your tv should move just a skosh fore or aft, taking the tension off the ball. Set the parking brake, tranny in Park.

Now raise the trailer off the ball. Usually, it will just slide right off without any drama.

Unless strangers are watching — then all bets are off...[emoji3]

So far this has been working. Thank you.
ortsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:59 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Much Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
Personally, for me, Fastway's OneStep chocks are better than X-Chocks. They easily lock snugly on the tires and pretty much prevent the trailer from moving. I really don't think they can slide on the ground as some common chocks can. In my case, I have less trailer movement while camping now than I did when I was using X-Chocks. They are relatively light, easy to install and remove, and with over 2 years of use, they still look brand new.
https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/onestep-chock
I ordered a set of the OneStep chocks and received them yesterday. I used them on my AS and they are more stabilizing than my X-Chocks. (on pavement) The are also faster and easier to use. Weight is about the same but my X-Chocks do store a little bit easier. The Onestep fit in the same space but it just takes a little more exactness to put them into the front compartment. Next I will have to see how they work on other surfaces, such as gravel or grass. I would expect the same results be we will see soon.

SailorSam205 Thanks for the tip!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:53 AM   #39
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortsa View Post
So far this has been working. Thank you.

Yep...it always has for us.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-16-2020, 09:58 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Jeffersonton , Virginia
SOS — jack slipped off blocks while unhitching

Of course I’m reading all this great advice AFTER my tongue jack slipped off the pile of blocks while unhitching from TV (as tension was released) — and now even with jack fully extended, I can’t get trailer high enough to slip TV hitch ball under the AS. Any suggestions on how to lift AS front end any higher? (fully extended jack stand is sitting on gravel)
Ride Along is offline   Reply With Quote