Old 01-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Ford transmission failures

Has anyone that tows with a Ford F150/E150 model years from 2010 thru 2017 with 4.6 or 5.4 (two valve or triton engine) experienced transmission failure? More specifically, if you did experience trans failure was it caused by the front drum bearing failing? My 2013 Ford E150 with 5.4 just had this failure at 67,000 miles. Of course, that is just 7k miles out of warranty. $3874.00 later I have a Re-Man trans installed at local Ford dealer with a 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty. So far, Ford is not helping with this. This is a R475E transmission. Ford did have a "Customer Satisfaction Program" in place for 2011 and 2012 Transmissions extending warranty to 6 years and 150,000 miles. Since I have a 2013 E150, no coverage. I have filed a case with Ford Customer Service. No response as yet.
According to the technician at the Ford dealer this is a very common failure and stated he sees this all the time at the dealership. When the Service Writer heard him talking to me he quickly ushered out of the room!

uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
ford trans defect

Please weigh in if you have experienced a transmission failure in your Ford F150/E150.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Did you buy this truck New or used?

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Ford defective transmissions

Purchased vehicle used in December 2016 with 52,000 miles. Remainder of factory 5 year/60k mile warranty was transferred to me. I confirmed this with local Ford dealer at time of purchase. The R475E trans in tens of thousands 2011 thru 2014 F150/E150 vehicles have suffered front drum bearing failure. When this happens trans is destroyed. Ford had so many failures that they issued a 'Customer Satisfaction Program" effecting 2011 and 2012 vehicles that extended the warranty on trans to 6 years/150,000 miles. My E150 is not covered. Ford is aware they are defective. The aftermarket sells a "sure Cure" kit to install in this trans when rebuilt at independent shops. The Service Manager at local Ford dealer says they should cover it. The Ford Field Zone Rep turned down his request to cover it. My E150 has only 67k miles on it. I have requested a face to face meeting with Field Warranty Rep to justify my case. I am a life long Ford guy. Very disappointed. I have purchased 7 new Fords and owned dozens of used ones. Purchased this one used because the new Transit vans are not to be used with WD hitch. They have no frame.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Update on Ford Transmission Failures

After three weeks of back and forth with Ford Warranty Department, the Service Manager at local Ford dealer was able to arrange a 66% refund of the $3874.00 cost of ReMan Ford transmission. To the Service Managers credit he was persistent with Ford that he believed this should be a covered repair. Should have a check in week or so. I had patronized this dealership with another vehicle that I owned and had the 2013 E150 van in for oil changes, tires and alignment. I was an established customer and I will continue to do business there. Hopefully, the replacement R475E transmission has the proper updates to it to last more then 67k miles.
We are off to Florida on Monday, 15 January to pick up our Airstream and head to Ft. Wilderness at Disneyworld for 4 days then on to Indian Rocks Beach. Happy Travels
Old 01-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
i went back n forth over whether to buy Ford or Toyota and after looking at endless ads on Craigslist, I kept seeing in ads for Ford .."new transmission" , I'm like why does this truck need a new transmission ? It put me off buying a Ford to be honest.
I've owned several Japanese vehicles that have all gone to 200k + on all original engines, suspension & transmissions. Don't want to jinx my truck by this, but my Tundra bought used, is on 170k ... drives like new .
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I have easily gotten 250,000 or more out of Toyota automatic transmissions, on multiple vehicles.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I really loved my 2010 F-150 Platinum with the 5.4. After 130,000 miles I traded it in though. I never had a lick of trouble with either engine or transmission beyond some strange shifts that were fixed with a proper re-learn procedure performed by a shop foreman. Fluid was always clear and red at service intervals.
We had enough trouble with various electronic modules that I finally couldn't take anymore but the engine and transmission were essentially flawless.
Of course mine was one of some 700,000 F-150's produced that year so...
Sometimes you just get lucky.
Bruce
Old 01-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
2nd Update Ford Trans Failures

My good friend warned me about Ford transmissions after he had three failures all in Ranger 4x4 pickups with 4.0 engine. He now has a 2004 Tundra with 278,000 miles and no problems. He bought it new and about half of the miles have been towing a trailer around with his rock band sound system.
I will be looking very hard at the 2018 Nissan Titan SV king cab 2WD model. NO MORE FORDS. The new Tundras are nice but just appear a bit to massive to me. The Titan V8 has plenty of power and should be able to tow our 2017 23D quite well. Maybe a deal will present itself at the end of 2018 and I will trade up. Happy Travels.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
My good friend warned me about Ford transmissions after he had three failures all in Ranger 4x4 pickups with 4.0 engine. He now has a 2004 Tundra with 278,000 miles and no problems. He bought it new and about half of the miles have been towing a trailer around with his rock band sound system.
I will be looking very hard at the 2018 Nissan Titan SV king cab 2WD model. NO MORE FORDS. The new Tundras are nice but just appear a bit to massive to me. The Titan V8 has plenty of power and should be able to tow our 2017 23D quite well. Maybe a deal will present itself at the end of 2018 and I will trade up. Happy Travels.
The 5R55 in an old Ranger doesn't have a whole lot in common with the 4R75 in an F150. The Ranger transmission was more of a car transmission, with 5 speeds and a lower torque rating compared to the F150 transmission with 4 speeds and a higher torque rating.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I had a transmission replacement of the 4R75W in my '07 5.4L F150... likely the same transmission and perhaps the same problem. I noticed a noise under certain conditions (mostly cold engine/transmission on cool to cold days) and had them check it out... they found brass shavings in the transmission and replaced it under the service policy... I think I had a bit under 80k on the truck at the time (purchased with 50k) and my service policy paid for itself 2x with the transmission alone.

No problems with the rebuilt transmission at the time I traded it in on my '17 with about 30k miles on the rebuilt.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I really loved my 2010 F-150 Platinum with the 5.4. After 130,000 miles I traded it in though. I never had a lick of trouble with either engine or transmission beyond some strange shifts that were fixed with a proper re-learn procedure performed by a shop foreman. Fluid was always clear and red at service intervals.
We had enough trouble with various electronic modules that I finally couldn't take anymore but the engine and transmission were essentially flawless.
Of course mine was one of some 700,000 F-150's produced that year so...
Sometimes you just get lucky.
Bruce
Ford models do have transmission problems more than others. I owned an Expedition and F150 in that order, and both Ford transmissions failed respectively at 67,000 and 81,000 miles; replaced with factory rebuild transmissions and sold each immediately. Many other owners also experience transmission issues.

Currently i am driving and towing my FC 25FB with a 2014 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crew Max. So far no issues. Ford has done a great job of keeping the driving public unaware of their transmission problems and how widespread it maybe. They have teams dedicated to manage the potential public relation fall out. I am not aware of any transmission issues with F250, F350 and F450 trucks.
Martee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Generally the heavier duty a vehicle is the longer it lasts. I don't have any experience with the new V6s but all the Ford and Chevy V8 trucks I've owned had transmissions last 150k miles or more. As vehicles get up in mileage maintenance tends to fall off.

With a used one, all bets are off. There's never any way to tell how it was used.

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:37 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
My last truck was a 2006 F150. Bought it used in '08 with 30,000 miles on it and it was a good truck overall but the transmission did fail somewhere around 130,000 miles I think it was. The transmission failed after towing my FC 26 the first time I towed it. Traded it in this past September on a new F250.
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Buying used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Generally the heavier duty a vehicle is the longer it lasts. I don't have any experience with the new V6s but all the Ford and Chevy V8 trucks I've owned had transmissions last 150k miles or more. As vehicles get up in mileage maintenance tends to fall off.

With a used one, all bets are off. There's never any way to tell how it was used.
You are correct. No way to know how used vehicle was used or abused.

After purchase of this van, I found paperwork with previous owner info. I called and according to him only his wife drove the van with there 4 children. Never towed with it. He actually had the fluids (trans, power steering, brake, coolant) changed at 34k miles!!! Who does that? Van was in excellent condition. Not a beater. He traded it for Toyota van because his wife did not like driving it.To big for her. I can understand. So far, so good. Happy Travels!
Old 01-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Update on Ford Transmission Failures

On the 10th of January a deal was worked out that I would be returned 2/3s of transmission replacement bill of $3474.00. Well, guess what! Ford Motor Company and the Dealer backed out of agreement. The Service Manager did send a check for $998.64. (No idea how he arrived at that figure.) When I called him he tried to backpedal and said that Ford had decided not to participate and as a gesture of goodwill he sent the $998.64 check. On the 10th it was a done deal. No one from Ford Customer Service has contacted me as I was promised. Bunch of crap. I have called dealership to set appointment with owner. Will update after meeting if anyone calls me back. Very frustrating to be treated this way by Ford and to have the Service Manager agree to something and not fulfill his promise.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #17
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Was the Ford regional service rep in your meeting with the dealer, or was the dealer the only one in contact with Ford? I am wondering if Ford ever actually agreed, or whether the dealer believed in good faith that Ford would participate without having it confirmed.

If there was a contractual issue (warranty, service contract, etc) then absolutely you should expect redress according to the terms of that contract.

If, however, there was no obligation on the part of the manufacturer or dealer, then any settlement is simply an investment in potential future business with you. They aren't rewarding you for past purchases, they are incenting you to deal with them in the future despite your expectations not having been met with this product. If you take the position of "NO MORE FORDS" as per your quote above, then you are essentially telling the manufacturer/dealer that they are throwing their money away.

When I negotiated customer settlements in an independent garage, the boss taught us that if he could make the customer happy, he would offer a settlement, even though it wasn't his fault or responsibility, ie a failure not related to anything we had done or not done. If he couldn't, he was better off having the money in his pocket. He was an ex factory service rep.

I used that approach during a later career in service management, working in a dealer for a related product.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #18
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Unless I missed something, I read that the truck was out of warranty. A thousand bucks back on a new transmission sounds like a pretty nice gift from the dealer.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
warranty limits

Yes, My van was past the manufacturers warranty limit of 60k miles by 7k miles. It was still within the 5 year limit. However, and there is always a however, after speaking with the Service Manager of another area ford dealer and speaking with a retired Ford Corporate warranty adjustment executive that lives in my community, I was told by both that ford should cover the replacement. Both of these people indicated that the regional warranty rep (a women that has only been in that position for 6 months and was described as "green" by my dealers Service Manager) is the stumbling block. She was supposed to contact me directly within 2 days of opening my Customer Service case, that was back on 20 Dec. 2017. I have nicely (very nicely) reached out to her on a number given to me by my dealer. No response. I plan on pursuing this until I have no further avenues. Having worked at 4 different dealerships in the service departments, I am aware of how the system works. Not your average customer.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #20
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Sounds then like you never had an offer from Ford, just commmunications from people not authorized to make such an offer. Looks like the dealer was trying to help, but got ahead of their headlights in promising a resolution. I would say the dealer rep is green, possibly in addition to the Ford rep.

Is there a post failure customer support program that may exist for these types of failures that applies to your product, not an earlier one? If so, can you get the terms of it?

The manufacturer pays the dealer to deal with you. They appear to have answered by not responding.

What do you believe is in it for the manufacturer to offer you a settlement? You have already dissed them publicly, so it isn’t that you are offering to preserve their reputation.

Unless you have documentation of an ongoing out of warranty support program, take the dealer offer, IMO.

jcl is offline   Reply With Quote