Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2022, 06:08 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2022 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
I have a few comments/suggestions about some of the numbers:
  • The battery weight is usually more than 45# total. Did you account for 2 batteries? Or only 1?
  • There should be an allowance for some black/grey water
  • 4 people @ 75# each seems a little low. Most calculations assume a person weighs 150#
  • I think the gas tank on the Max tow package is 36 or 39 gallons
  • The max payload of 2980# seems a little optimistic but may be achievable with the SuperCab (which is smaller than the SuperCrew), no options, and only 4x2 drive. You need to check some vehicles, not the Ford literature which is usually based on a standard cab, XL trim, with no options.
  • Most WD hitches weigh closer to 100#
  • Airstream trailers typically exceed their published tongue weight when loaded and are typically in the 1000# range. The 1000# of options, battery, water, and stuff alone will add almost 150# (15%) to the 850# published tongue weight.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:16 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Brooks , Georgia
That towing spread sheet shows 300# for 4 people and only 23 gal of gas and only 400# of stuff in the truck.

Look at fords f150 information. The F150 3.5 with max tow and heady duty payload package will absolutely do the job. You will have to order that truck.
Slimpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:21 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
4 people @ 75# each seems a little low. Most calculations assume a person weighs 150#
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpockets View Post
That towing spread sheet shows 300# for 4 people.

OP has not made reference to any passengers besides his partner. I'm guessing that is 300# for 2 people. Though still impressive. I'm 220, and I can safely say my wife is not 80-lbs, lol.

Agreed though, I think the max tow includes the 36 gallon tank.
hikingcamera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:26 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2022 28' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
OP has not made reference to any passengers besides his partner. I'm guessing that is 300# for 2 people. Though still impressive. I'm 220, and I can safely say my wife is not 80-lbs, lol.

Agreed though, I think the max tow includes the 36 gallon tank.
You may be right about the OPs intentions but the Excel sheet is very explicit with 4 for number of passengers and a formula in the weight column for the number of passengers * 75.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:29 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilouCerise View Post
See attached a excel file.

It seems like it is in theory.

Now, of course, with an F150 everything will wear out so quickly because it's a little over 90%. This calculation doesn't include the road gradients and the elevation but my wife can drive it into town to get bread, cheese and wine. We are French!

I hope I am not mistaken because I only have one day of experience on the towing. Not enough to fill out a resume

I just have to go see a dealer and he shows me his spreadsheet. I'll let you know. We still have time to change all the plans. Maybe we will buy a cabin on a desert island...

Thanks
Re your spreadsheet:

Assuming 2 wet cell batteries you are looking at around 120, not 45 pounds. Even 2 100Ah lithium batteries will be around 60 pounds,

4 people totaling 300lbs. Are we talking about Hobbits? 150lbs per person is a more standard calculation.

Your estimate of 850lbs tongue weight may be based on a spec but in real life it is low for a FB Airstream. I just finished loading my 25' FBT Globetrotter for a trip. Full fresh water tank, full propane tanks, 4-100Ah lithium batteries in the front storage compartment plus cargo: 1090lbs on my Sherline scale.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:37 PM   #66
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Payload figures include a full tank of fuel. No need to add fuel unless you are carrying extra.

I think you are on the right track with no 4wd.

Suggest you focus on the Ecoboost 3.5, not the 2.7

You won’t know the tow vehicle payload until you see the exact truck.

You won’t know the actual tongue weight until you have the trailer.

I think you will want a cover over the bed of the pickup.

Loading to a higher percentage of rated doesn’t equate to an automatic increased wear rate over the life of the vehicle. Wear will depend more on the duty cycle, and you won’t be towing 100% of the time.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:16 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

Yes it's a mistake. We are 2 and the weight is in kg not lbs. It's 175 per person also 2x175=350

We are not a hobbit family !!! ))
PhilouCerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:23 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Yes it's a mistake. We are 2 and the weight is in kg not lbs. It's 175 per person also 2x175=350

We are not a hobbit family !!! ))
I don't care how much you and your wife weigh, or what truck you ultimately buy.

What I do care about is that you announced your arrival on Airforums with a title of "philoucerise is coming" and did it while referring to yourself (or you and your spouse) in the third person.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f13...ng-236686.html

Outstanding baller move Sir!
WellSaid11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:03 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Smile brave!

Quote:
Yes you're right Richard I didn't think to store the Airstream and the truck at home, but maybe JCL meant that moving around town once the ES was on the campsite could be complicated. This is also the reason why at the beginning I went with an F150 (maneuverability and price). Now we have to look at security. I'm going to lose weight and I won't take animals
Your calculus about weight and animals made me smile as I recalled the very brief internal discussion I had about asking my wife to join me in a weight loss program, and seeking a smaller dog when we were using the F150! Funny, and yet it crosses the mind, right?

As a former airplane owner, I would lavish $$ on the airframe trying to make it lighter and increasing the payload, while refusing to trim an available extra 14 pounds (= two hours of fuel) off my portly frame. Silly, I know.

But in the end, she collects rocks wherever we go, so we "had" to up-size the ride.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:08 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
While the MAX TOW package is a must, I wouldn't attempt to tow a 27' trailer without the HEAVY DUTY PAYLOAD PACKAGE (HDPP). This will provide you with near-SuperDuty payload capacity (2400+#).

Unfortunately the HDPP is only available on XL and XLT trims on new trucks. There were some HDPP Lariat trucks built around 2017 but those are like hen's teeth.
To be honest, the 3/4-1T with the 27' or larger provide a much better/stable TV platform, IMHO. Braking, extra 1' in wheel base, of TV, offer better handling all around then the 1/2T platform. I know/see some folks may disagree, but my experience is the larger platform absolutely "feels" more stable handling while towing our 28', then the 1/2T. This includes having preformed emergency stopping including swerving to avoid traffic incidents a couple times over the years. Not saying the 1/2T would not have controlled the 28' also, but wife and I both agree the F250 handled those situations giving us a very stable/secure feeling with the 28'. In the end, being a bit more careful on which TV you choose, can give you more confidence perhaps...I know it works for us.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:15 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
To be honest, the 3/4-1T with the 27' or larger provide a much better/stable TV platform, IMHO. Braking, extra 1' in wheel base, of TV, offer better handling all around then the 1/2T platform. I know/see some folks may disagree, but my experience is the larger platform absolutely "feels" more stable handling while towing our 28', then the 1/2T. This includes having preformed emergency stopping including swerving to avoid traffic incidents a couple times over the years. Not saying the 1/2T would not have controlled the 28' also, but wife and I both agree the F250 handled those situations giving us a very stable/secure feeling with the 28'. In the end, being a bit more careful on which TV you choose, can give you more confidence perhaps...I know it works for us.
Maybe it was the way you set up your F150. I put a road master suspension system on for $650 and that made a huge difference.

I also have a Propride hitch.

It feels wonderfully stable. I can drive on a busy highway from Milwaukee through Chicago in heavy truck traffic etc and feel now bow affect at all.

I really don't know why I would want a 3/4 ton that gets far less mpg's, is harsher to drive as a daily driver, harder to get in and out of, can't park it easily, etc. Just don't need it.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:42 AM   #72
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are a couple of basic problems here (and they are very common ...):

1) We have decided on this or that (big) trailer

2) We can't have a big tow vehicle

Calculating this or calculating that is fine. Doing it without actually knowing all the things you will have along is pretty much impossible. Tools, parts, fuel, generators all seem to be things that come along after the first trip or three. Then there are "toys" that pop up as you find the "need" to go fishing or hiking or this or that ....

We did all the magic math early on. When I go back and look at those spread sheets .... yikes. The number of things missing on them is greater than the number of things included ( by about 2X). At the time, we'd been camping for many decades. The assumption was that our past experience gave us a good idea what would be needed. Not so much....

The tendency is to not allow much margin on the calculation and force a decision for a small tow vehicle. The net result is pretty much always a trade in of that vehicle fairly early in its life. In some (rare) cases the outcome is a bit more difficult to deal with ....

At the heart of this is that a big heavy tow is what is needed for a big heavy trailer. It also is not going to compete with a Fiat 500 for a quick sneak into that downtown parking space.

What to do?

One very real alternative is a Class A in the > 35' range and something (small) in tow behind it ... We see a lot of them chugging around here in Alaska. Storage space / room matters so indeed the length will be in that range.

Option two is to keep an in town car that you can park in front of the house. Use the truck mainly for towing / camping. There aren't many campsites downtown in large urban areas. Once you get out and about, trucks fit in pretty well. ( because that's what all the locals drive .... ).

Option three is to do some fairly significant modifications to this or that vehicle. You can indeed "hotrod" vehicles, folks have been doing it for a long time. Getting it right is not as easy as one might think. Unless you have a background doing this, best to find a pro to do the work for you. Just what the insurance implications of a hotrod are is a mater of debate that goes on and on and on in various threads.

Option four is to go with a smaller trailer. That is low on the list for a reason .....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:00 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
PhilouCerise, Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your plan to full time in a new Airstream. I am jealous. I found Richard's response excellent. He did a good job explaining things without the usual vitriolic attacks that come with this topic. It was refreshing to read a fact filled discussion without heavy opinons.
We all have opinions and it bothers me when half tons are classified as "lesser" tow vehicles and that if you go big you won't struggle on grades. I am a Tundra guy, I love mine and I have little trouble getting up the mountain side but.....if I were to go full time I would opt for a larger 3/4 ton. I would put a topper on my truck if I were full timing and I would, by necessity, carry more "stuff" with me. We pulled trailers for more than two decades before we got our Airstream so we had a system of traveling light down pretty well. We have no trouble with our 25FB but we don't pack a lot of extras either. There was also the issue of our truck being a daily driver too, so smaller and lighter worked for us.
The Tundra is plenty large when it comes to parking at the supermarket. If your wife is hesitant to drive a 3/4 ton, there really is not much diffference when it comes to the size. The ride? Some of these new trucks ride quite well, even if it is a 3/4 ton. You will have to test drive a bunch to figure that out.

Someone has suggested that you think about what your plans will be. What are you going to take, how much extra stuff will you be packing, how much comfort do you want and so on. If I full timed, I think the 27 would be as small as I would go. When it comes to trailers, the bigger is usually the better. When you are living in it, big will be best. Best wishes. In the end you will make the right decision for you.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 12:11 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

Here is no miracle solution just the one that suits us. I think you all have fun towing your Airstream and that's the main thing. In any case, thank you all for giving me your feedback, it is very useful for me to leave with full knowledge of the facts. Apart from the size which is undoubtedly THE advantage of the F150 I also think that by making a table of weights you MUST limit yourself and that's good when you are a heavy consumer. So the next time my wife asks me for a jewel I would say NO because my friends on the Airforum told me to stay within the allowable weight. Thank you Ford!!!
Old 08-05-2022, 10:25 AM   #75
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Here is no miracle solution just the one that suits us. I think you all have fun towing your Airstream and that's the main thing. In any case, thank you all for giving me your feedback, it is very useful for me to leave with full knowledge of the facts. Apart from the size which is undoubtedly THE advantage of the F150 I also think that by making a table of weights you MUST limit yourself and that's good when you are a heavy consumer. So the next time my wife asks me for a jewel I would say NO because my friends on the Airforum told me to stay within the allowable weight. Thank you Ford!!!
Hi

Limits are fine if you are talking about buying a kayak or an ATV to haul around. There are things on the list that aren't quite in the "optional" category:

1) A generator and fuel. If your camping / living plans take you to places without full power hookups. You may want to have one along. If you are in a warm climate, what you have along may be heavier that you might think.

2) Tools. Calling a repair guy may work fine in an urban setting. Out in the middle of rural Canada or the US .... likely not so much. Some of the stuff you will find you need is pretty darn heavy. Working this out ahead of doing any of this ... good luck .... I certainly could not. Just the gear to do the "tire stuff" is a bit involved.

3) Parts. As you do this and that, it will become apparent that various parts are tough to find quickly out in the wild. They need to come along with you. Odd fuses are one example, and you likely need them quickly.

4) Multi-season clothing. Sure, it's August right now. Drive here and the world is in shorts a a swimming suit is needed. Drive somewhere else and there's still a parka sitting out ( like that one right over there as I type this ....). Toss in full time living and it's very tough to get around an "inventory".

Those are just the first couple on the list. It would be great to come up with a complete and exact detailed list of every item that needs to be evaluated. Nobody lives the same life as somebody else. There is no way to do that. What can be said is that as I look at the examples I know of, there are no full timers running an AS trailer that size with a F150/1500 size truck.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:22 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Maybe it was the way you set up your F150. I put a road master suspension system on for $650 and that made a huge difference.

I also have a Propride hitch.

It feels wonderfully stable. I can drive on a busy highway from Milwaukee through Chicago in heavy truck traffic etc and feel now bow affect at all.

I really don't know why I would want a 3/4 ton that gets far less mpg's, is harsher to drive as a daily driver, harder to get in and out of, can't park it easily, etc. Just don't need it.

Well, payload for one; stability of longer wheel base with the heavier longer 28' for another; MPG for sure...I get 13-15 mpg with the diesel...never got higher than 9mpg towing with our F150 EB....glad your happy with your F150. Daily driver was not a concern at the time.......purchased a more capable tow vehicle with payload, MPG, and not needing modifications to tow a larger AS. We knew we would be traveling a lot. The extra 1' wheel base of the F250 vs the F150 is also a more stable platform. The diesel gives us extra braking also...if you have not towed (many folks have not), with an F250 diesel vs your F150 up/down/around in Rockies, likely not able to relate to the big difference towing the 28'. Game changer in handling all around...IMHO. It's all good...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:38 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

OK, Thank you for the good advice.

Maybe I need to change my plans. So it seems that even a 25FB is too heavy for an F150. I think for us living in an RV under 25 will be difficult so maybe the Airstream didn't do it for us...
Old 08-05-2022, 06:08 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2022 28' International
Quote:
Maybe I need to change my plans. So it seems that even a 25FB is too heavy for an F150. I think for us living in an RV under 25 will be difficult so maybe the Airstream didn't do it for us...
I believe that if you want to live full-time in a trailer, the choice of AS or SOB doesn't effect the TV requirements. Almost any trailer that is large enough to live in for extended stays will be at or beyond the limits of a 1/2 ton TV with even the minimal amount of supplies.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:27 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Brooks , Georgia
Quote:
[/B]
Well, payload for one; stability of longer wheel base with the heavier longer 28' for another; MPG for sure...I get 13-15 mpg with the diesel...never got higher than 9mpg towing with our F150 EB....glad your happy with your F150. Daily driver was not a concern at the time.......purchased a more capable tow vehicle with payload, MPG, and not needing modifications to tow a larger AS. We knew we would be traveling a lot. The extra 1' wheel base of the F250 vs the F150 is also a more stable platform. The diesel gives us extra braking also...if you have not towed (many folks have not), with an F250 diesel vs your F150 up/down/around in Rockies, likely not able to relate to the big difference towing the 28'. Game changer in handling all around...IMHO. It's all good...

I get it you like your 80+k truck with the engine that runs on fuel that is 30% more expensive. Post #4 on this thread is the door sticker for my F150 and I bet my number is bigger than yours. You absolutely should like what you buy with your hard earned money but a well equipped F150 will do the job. Some of the F250’s with the 6.7 had only 1800# of payload on the trucks I looked at.

I had a diesel before my F150 and will not be doing that again with complicated emissions they put on diesel trucks. They are wonderful trucks when under warranty.
Slimpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:05 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpockets View Post
I get it you like your 80+k truck with the engine that runs on fuel that is 30% more expensive. Post #4 on this thread is the door sticker for my F150 and I bet my number is bigger than yours. You absolutely should like what you buy with your hard earned money but a well equipped F150 will do the job. Some of the F250’s with the 6.7 had only 1800# of payload on the trucks I looked at.

I had a diesel before my F150 and will not be doing that again with complicated emissions they put on diesel trucks. They are wonderful trucks when under warranty.
My truck had a sticker not too far under 80k, but I didn't even pay close to that though as huge discounts were available (not now and mostly pre-Covid of course) if you know how to buy cars and trucks correctly. Diesel recently has been more expensive, but it was the exact opposite historically for a million years and it will likely be cheaper again at some point. I have plenty of payload to carry a ton o' crap, 2 dogs, a 1k tongue weight (RB), a Retrax, Yakima HD and other stuff on the rack. Had a strong factory warranty and an extended warranty through Chrysler so I am not too worried about that.

I have owned and towed with a V8 F-150. I found it was great on flat ground but with larger and heavier trailers it lagged on hills and mountains in the West and didn't give me the throttle response and torque I wanted on the road with a trailer behind me and the idiots on the road. Have driven a V6 with the EcoBoost 3.5 with a smaller trailer and it left a lot to be desired but it was ok. With the diesel I have an exhaust brake, more torque, better resale and longevity that are all a bonus, although fuel filters and DEF suck. But if you are hung up about the DEF, periodic maintenance and fuel filter costs though you should probably rethink your hobbies, financial planning and the purchase of an Airstream in the first place.

Caveat - I do not drive a 3/4T diesel as a daily driver. If I had to, I probably wouldn't.

What works is what works.
WellSaid11 is online now   Reply With Quote