Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
First Recovery: What do I Need?

Well it looks like we'll be bringing home our first "stray". 20' Argosy...don't know the year yet (neither does owner). I have been towing trailers for many years; but never a recovered trailer. What items should I have available? Temporary rear brake lights? Wheel bearings? Spare tire? What experiences have others had in their recoveries? Thanks!

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi bob

congrats.

common issue and series of questions.

seems there is a 'sticky' some where entitled...

"how do i tow or haul home a really old trailer i just purchased, and haven't inspected yet?"

or there SHOULD be one...

here's a couple of threads on this topic, but there are 100s.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...ome-26080.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ome-33441.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...home-2435.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ome-14489.html

i'm sure some1 will come along with THE definitive thread on this, but those above help.

some folks USE their trailers on the first trip home.

and the list of things for a maiden travel/camping voyage are in another string of threads...

then there are the...

-"find a transport company" theme threads and

-"flat bedding it home" theme and

-"i only need to haul it 100 miles home, so can i do it without brakes, tires or lights?"

well you get the point.

safe travels by what ever route U take.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
How far do you need to haul it, Roadrunner? How long has it been since it was towed? What condition are the tires in? Any idea when the wheel bearings were last packed?

We towed our 1972 Sovereign home from Mobile, AL, this spring. She had not been towed in many years. There were car tires on her (very OLD car tires), and the exterior lights did not work, or were broken out. We took 2 rims and tires down with us (should have taken 4), since we were told 2 of the tires were marginal. Turns out they were ALL marginal, but we made it home without blowing any tires, by putting the new ones on the back, and the best 2 of the others on the front. We took lots of wire and temporary running lights down with us and rigged them along the side and rear of the trailer using gorilla tape to hold them on. Chris also rigged the brakes with new wire. We had a little brake power for the trip. Fortunately our Excursion had the rest of the braking power we needed for the trip. The PO had a mechanic friend help her repack the wheel bearings before we went down. All in all, it worked out very well for us, and we had a fairly uneventful trip back to MN. Take extra tools with you, and a few prayers!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I would take two wheels/tires, temp lights, and tools and material to check and pack the bearings before I left............tools and tools....and the universal repair tool-Duct Tape!

Congrats! How far do ya have to tow her back?

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
Well it looks like we'll be bringing home our first "stray". 20' Argosy...don't know the year yet (neither does owner). I have been towing trailers for many years; but never a recovered trailer. What items should I have available? Temporary rear brake lights? Wheel bearings? Spare tire? What experiences have others had in their recoveries? Thanks!

Bob
Bob,

Check out past podcasts of TheVap.com Rob Baker had made several rescue trips, every one an adventure.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Thanks for all the advice. We have about 90 miles of mostly back roads to tow. The Argosy was last towed 2 years ago. Tires still appear to be holding air. Great reminder of the duct tape - the "universal tool". PO lost the keys so there is no way to lock the door. I don't want it swinging open during the haul so looks like duct tape is the answer there. Will keep you posted. Again, thanks!

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Bungee cords, bailing wire, flashlight, hitch grease, hitch chains and basic toolbox.

Congrats on your new-to-you Argosy. I recommend you take twice as many pictures of her in as found condition as you'll think you'll want and of every nook and cranny. Post a few here so we can all marvel in her beauty.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
Thanks for all the advice. We have about 90 miles of mostly back roads to tow. The Argosy was last towed 2 years ago. Tires still appear to be holding air. Great reminder of the duct tape - the "universal tool". PO lost the keys so there is no way to lock the door. I don't want it swinging open during the haul so looks like duct tape is the answer there. Will keep you posted. Again, thanks!

Bob
Bob, for an emergency more secure than duct tape door fastener. You can take a rubber door stop and jam in behind the door grab bar on the outside. There are several designs for wooden safety locks in these threads.
We did the rubber door stop...it takes a long one. Larry drilled a hole on the fat end for a loop of rope to go thru. Make a loop around the grab bar and jam the door stopper in between so it comes over the edge of the door. I know there are pictures of that somewhere on the threads. Here is one such thread that talks about the rubber door stop and has a photo of the wooden one:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...tml#post761289
Lou and Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
After three bad recoveries, I now put the trailer on a flatbed trailer without the wheels and call it a day! The only safe "legal" (for Rob Backer) way to bring a trailer home!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote