Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Yukon , Oklahoma
Family debate

We have an F350 diesel. Should we need a sway control? The man of the house says it is pulling great but I want some more experienced input. I just got my lovely 1974 31' and I want to keep it for a while. I know the truck is great with the 7.3 and I know we can pull anything but this is my baby. If I should have one, which one is everyone having the best luck with.
Tdcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
My humble opinion --

Your Tow Vehicle has tremendous capacity and power. Great brakes. Huge mass.

However, if the trailer gets moved by, say an 18 wheeler passing at 75mph, what is going to prevent (or at the very least dampen) the induced sway?

I wouldn't tow my 31' without anti-sway of some kind. You get 4 tons oscillating and trouble is afoot.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
31 feet is a lot of trailer to keep under control. Yes a big ol' truck will pull great, but pulling is not always the same thing as controlling...

We only have a 19' Bambi and we have anti-sway.

Be safe.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
If you feel you should have sway control, get sway control. There are engineers that calculate and prove you don't need them with that truck. But there may be another un calculated cause that makes you feel you need them for an unknown event down the road, and that sway control your intuition tells you you need will save all your babies.
Just looked at a tire on my brother's pop up tent trailer that blew on a flat, beautiful road. Very few miles on it, looked like the tire exploded inside the belts.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
My .02 cents.

For a few hundred bucks the piece of mind alone is worth the cost.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
[QUOTE=Tdcraw;1184732]We have an F350 diesel. Should we need a sway control? QUOTE]

I think it depends on the trailer, some trailers are rock steady no matter what you do and some will go into a sway fairly easily.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
We have an F350. Pulled our 31 ft Sovereign with and without. The prior post about a semi passing you is spot on. Or if you hit a bad spot on the road at top speed.
As the "driver" in our team and experienced bad sway with the above 2 examples I would not drive without all recommended tow package options. Your first response to bad sway is to hit the brakes which transfers the sway to your truck. A bad thing... Best you can do is let off the gas and let the sway work out. One time of this and you will get the sway bar. Hopefully you are not going down hill when this happens...
We have every available tow package option. Have not had a "sway" induced problem since. Knock on wood.......
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Hitting the trailer brakes with the manual override is the best way to straighten out...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:58 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We have the same trailer, and the same kind of truck. We have sway control.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Hitting the trailer brakes with the manual override is the best way to straighten out...
The human mind does not work as fast as a developing sway.

Therefore applying the trailer brakes manually, is a very poor way to quickly stop a sway, even when your pre-warned that a sway will suddenly happen.

That fact was proven by Caravanner Insurance company tests, in 1970.

That's also why a device known as "Safety Tow", came on the market for a short period of time, way back then.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The need for a weight distribution hitch [WDH] is tied to trailer tongue weight [TW]. From about 350 to 500-lbs a WDH is required. Doesn't sound like much weight . . it isn't, but it is only a static representation of forces when at rest. The "lever arm" from the hitch coupler back to the travel trailer [TT] axle center can produce thousands of pounds of force to act on the tow vehicle [TV] going down the road under adverse conditions. Loss of control accidents with travel trailers is understood to be centered around steering in particular. The WDH "helps" the driver in that "normal" steering is "felt" even in adversity (all of this is in a manner of speaking; one gets into discussions about yaw, etc).

Anti-sway components of that hitch type (designed in or added on) will lessen (resist) the natural tendency of the TT to try and pass the TV. The difference between the various antisway types is in how well they do this. Most require best hitch rigging per weight scale formulaic data to "spread" the TW to the two vehicles properly for the anti-sway to work best. The virtual pivot point [VPP] types are sophisticated enough not to require this, but the rig benefits equally in handling/braking improvements over no WDH w/ or w/o antisway when set up properly.

Big & heavy seems nice in a TV . . but when the TV is also the most rollover prone vehicle type (pickup truck) and the trailer is capable of higher speeds through the slalom behind a better TV than the pickup can negotiate while solo it can also be seen that it is not the TT that needs a high quality design WDH + antisway, but the truck itself, so to speak.

A travel trailer has forces acting on it (wind, primarily) that a low, open trailer will not. The tire contact patch of the TV is quite small, overall, and one does not want to lose traction as a result of the TT acting against that contact patch, in part or in total.

And, while an Airstream has the best towing characteristics by design over many other types, it, too, benefits from a WDH + antisway set up according to formula. Decades of experience go into this, and this forum has numerous threads on the "how to" of set-up.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
There are engineers that calculate and prove you don't need them with that truck.
I'm an engineer, but I haven't calculated anything here, and this is just my opinion…

Any time you've got a trailer that is heavier than the vehicle pulling it, sway control is a good idea. Especially when you consider that the distance from the trailer's front axle to the hitch is a lot longer than the distance from the tow vehicle's rear axle to the hitch. That provides a huge difference in moment of inertia, and means that a small amount of trailer sway becomes a big force yanking the tow vehicle from side to side. There is an old saying, "tail wagging the dog," that perfectly describes this situation.

Anti-sway is like a lot of safety equipment and techniques. When you first have reason to wonder if you need it, that's when you need it. Later might be too late.

Just make sure whatever anti-sway you get is properly sized for your tow vehicle & trailer combination. That's where the engineering really comes into play, and the companies that make the sway control have already done the engineering for you.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Modern weight distribution hitches have integrated sway control.
Yes, you need a weight distribution hitch. You have a big trailer with close to 1000 pounds of tongue weight and even with a 1 ton pickup, you need it for reasons suggested by previous posters.
Add to the list of times when you need a good hitch are long curvy down hills, blowouts, trailer brake malfunctions and emergency handling situations. You will find that your trailer wants to drive itself. You don't want to look out your side window and see your trailer. A good hitch will keep it in line.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdcraw
We have an F350 diesel. Should we need a sway control? The man of the house says it is pulling great but I want some more experienced input. I just got my lovely 1974 31' and I want to keep it for a while. I know the truck is great with the 7.3 and I know we can pull anything but this is my baby. If I should have one, which one is everyone having the best luck with.
The real BIG deal is control when STOPPING all that mass in a panic stop! Have been there stopping 34' on Queen 402 near London, Ontario, CAN.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
A few of us have switched to the Andersen WD hitch. It has built in sway control and pretty much goes on and off in a snap. Those of us with it have no complaints. It is very light and a kid could put it on if you let them. The best part is you can find them online for $400.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I pull a 25' with a 2500 Dodge most of the time. No tendency to sway. I hooked it up to a 32 foot and I could feel an unstability. I re adjusted the hitch and it got better. The 32 footer got the same milage and pulled well, but definitely has more of a tendency to do it own thing in some situations. I also heard that from another owner who downsized to a 25 from a 32 footer. There is a lot of trailer hanging out behind the wheels in the 32 footers. What kind of hitch do you use? Does it already have some sort of anti sway built in? I have so far not used the add on friction type sway controls. I use the Reese St. Line and so far that seems like enough, at least for the 25'.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote