Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I looked at the Lear in San Diego, with slide out roof liner, sliding windows, and it was pretty nice fit also on my F150. Now with the F250, it's a foot longer, and not sure I would take advantage of the extra volume; don't really like crawling up/into the bed with a cover on it with generator sitting behind the cab, it would be a pain for me, I'm thinking. (also no dog currently) I would want a slide out cargo bed liner if I had the topper, and that also costs a lot, plus the extra weight of the slide; then the kayaks, etc. Still think about it, but not ready to jump yet till we firm up Alaska...what would be nice, is to rent one for the times I would use it!. Nice rig though...take pictures when you get it all set up.
There are some nice slide out that fit on bed of pu. plus plans to build if don't want to pur. Google up Airtandem or send him pm he has nice slide I think he made it, also I have seen some manf. slides. A sheet of plywood is not that heavy to make. Sure is nice to keep every thing out of weather and secure w/topper when I had one, now have to keep bed open to haul.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:08 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Well, I just got a new F150,first truck. I ordered one and get in a week or two. I plan to keep it on. I use min more like an SUV, dogs back there etc. plus with my modified 23D, young weight is only 600 pounds, and with 1800 payload, I’m good to go. Got a rack in mine for toys on top, kayak, bikes, rod holder, etc. I’ll let you know......

I considered a topper and have had them in the past. The new F150’s are tall. I would need a ladder to awkwardly hoist bikes and kayaks. I found it hard enough on my Tacoma’s roof. There are tons of great options from bare beds to bed racks to tonneau covers to toppers (roof height or higher). All have pros and cons. Make you best guess and modify to suit your needs. At least that sorta works for me.
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Here's my set up with the tri-fold xtang, with the Thule racks. Like I mentioned, the tri-fold is nice, but when carrying kayaks, I need to leave it open so I cover the cargo with a plastic tarp and secure it with stretch netting. Works ok, but not as nice as a topper would be. There's always something better out there...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F250 w kayaks rear view.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	562.0 KB
ID:	303307  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Here's my set up with the tri-fold xtang, with the Thule racks. Like I mentioned, the tri-fold is nice, but when carrying kayaks, I need to leave it open so I cover the cargo with a plastic tarp and secure it with stretch netting. Works ok, but not as nice as a topper would be. There's always something better out there...

Nice rig, I started with a F150 as my first truck, and maybe will go bigger someday if needed. That step looks good to me
Old 02-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Nice rig, I started with a F150 as my first truck, and maybe will go bigger someday if needed. That step looks good to me
I loved my F150 and it was a great match for the 25'AS's we had. I would love to go back to another F150 and a 25' AS if they would just change the lounge area to have U shaped seating like in the 26'U; not sure that will happen anytime soon.

I like the 28' with the F250 match up also. Just that the F250 is not a great daily driver for parking, maintenance, and gas mileage. Does haul everything we use, however, so that's a good thing!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York
Solid cover

I have had both. My son has the retractable high end unit. From my experience and others, the movable tonneaus leak.
My latest does not leak a drop even in a car wash.
I have driven in rain so hard you could drive no faster than 45 and it didn’t leak. This means a lot to me especially when the box is filled with camping stuff.
They all advertise leak proof. Good luck.
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:08 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Richardson , Texas
Tailgate lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
You may also want a locking handle to help protect your tailgate, because I read that stealing tailgates is apparently a thing.
Yes it is, I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD Z71 and my tailgate was stolen a couple weeks ago right behind of my garage, 10:15am on a Wednesday morning while we were home. Even got it on security cameras but the thief had taken off the plates on their truck to steal it. All we could identify was that it was a blue F-150. The thief had a hoody and we could not see the face. Bummer, it is GONE. Master lock makes a lock to lock the gate to the truck at the hinge. Found out about that AFTER the loss.
DLDINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
i guess I am confused - I have a 2015 F-150 and the tailgate locks (it would seem) so I do not follow all of the concern about thefts? I should add I have a Lariat...perhaps that is different than other models?
And back to the original post, I too have a DiamondBack tonneau which is heavy aluminum and locks in place, which I love, and it extends about an inch over the tailgate so I would assume that too gives an additional level of security against the theft of the tailgate.
Am I missing something in the previous comments or were they about "other trucks and tops"? Thanks
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote