Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2016, 06:24 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The short answer is that a diesel with an EB isn't superior to a typical gas rig.
You really like poking a bear with a stick don't you........
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:06 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I don't think you're missing anything. EB would not be a good thing on very slippery surfaces. No, they don't apply the trailer brakes. There have been times (solo) in my business travels, when black ice was so bad (rain on top of very smooth ice) that I actually will shift into neutral anytime my foot comes off the throttle. I trust ABS, and Stabilitrac and my "smart" braking foot much more than the uncontrolled loss of drive wheel traction due to deceleration. This is especially true with rear drives and/or manual transmissions. Worst case for me was a drive from Peoria to the Quad Cities in a Trans Am w/stick. Think about that one for awhile.
I also shift in to neutral when on ice or slippery surfaces as this was learned many years ago when only manual trannys & mechanical brakes. Auto trannys or traction controls were not invented for general use. I have had dr. lic. for over 77 yrs. and have driven long before lic. having grown up on farm. In case that some one argues form of auto trans invented, ford model T was a form of auto as had to push pedal to go forward or back no shifting
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
So downshifting a diesel without EB will have little/no effect due to the lack of vacuum? Wow! Then I guess you'd need EB as a matter of survival any time you tow. I owned a diesel Jetta a few years ago, and have driven diesel busses for the church, so I know a little about diesel, but never was aware of this. ...Now I'm trying to remember when I ever needed to downshift the bus...

My Pruis will hold the speed down on a descent with the cruise control, but that's due to the principle of siphoning off excess inertia as a primary function of a hybrid. Kinda funny actually, since the engine noise rarely relates directly to speed. So you're cruising cross country, up hill and down. Then once in a great while, you're going down hill, paying it no attention, and the engine begins roaring because suddenly the generator that's sucking up all that inertia energy just can't keep up. But the Sequoia cruise will let the truck run downhill.

Sounds like at the end of the day, a diesel with EB is not better off than a gas engine with someone willing to downshift properly. Do I have this correct?

Do we need to have a class so all us gassers can learn how to descend hills safely?
Never had a problem up or downhill with any gas or diesel truck I've owned, towing or not. Never warped a rotor, lost the brakes, etc. Never. You don't have as much compression with a gas engine, you use the disc brakes and trailer brakes when going downhill. They're different vehicles. Neither is better or worse if your vehicle is sized for the job, you know how to drive and you know the limitations of age, reaction time etc. If you're warping rotors going downhill you're doing something wrong.

I don't know how fast all you guys are trying to go downhill but I cringe when I see some of these rigs doing 75 downhill. You folks just go ahead and use the passing lane, see ya down the road.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:54 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Very interesting post, having driven big trucks all my life, very few didn't have a Jake brake, I have never shifted into neutral when on black ice, let off a bit , brake off. Most all the trucks had a 3 stage , 2,4,or 6 cylinders holding you back, on snowpack roads it would on 2 or 4 depending if you were loaded or not...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:28 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
But you also had 8 (I assume ) contact patches under your drive wheels....and how much weight on those friction surfaces.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
But you also had 8 (I assume ) contact patches under your drive wheels....and how much weight on those friction surfaces.
Empty 15,000 lbs on the drivers, 8 tires, not much weight per tire..
Old 12-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Empty 15,000 lbs on the drivers, 8 tires, not much weight per tire..
How much loaded?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

When I started driving no jake brakes, computer controlled engines or trannys , no 16/18 speed gears etc. Putting in neutral I meant cars, pu, vans not 18 wheelers as AS owners don't generally drive big ones for pleasure. As a pro driver you no much more than most drivers of small veh. Plus exp. that is not taught in drivers ed.or driving schools. I attended 2 driving courses taught by retired cop and his teachings of big trucks way off. The courses was because of heavy right. foot. 3 tickets in 67 yrs. of lic. all just 5 over posted to fill Quotas.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:30 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
How much loaded?
Drivers-34,000 , drop axle 2 single tires -6000, steer wide tires-15000 lbs. the pup tongue on a pintal hitch didn't add much these 6 (3axle trailer) wide tires carried 43500 lbs... that is a perfect legal load for 7 axles...
Old 12-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
This is a challenging subject because it depends on so many factors: tow vehicle, tow, tires, weather,and driver training. I just read all of this for the second day and it appears to me that you all have learned to tow and handle your equipment.

I found that yesterday the first north facing hill was all black ice and the next 10 miles were not much better. We were just discussion which road to use, when the ice was encounter. The exhaust brake was set on low.

The trailer started to swing as the truck lost traction. It was quicker to shift into neutral and coast a bit to straighten the rigs. Then switched the EB off and all was good the rest of the 10 miles.

I joked, "well lets use the highway" more cars to heat the road up.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:37 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Exhaust brakes and downshifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The short answer is that a diesel with an EB isn't superior to a typical gas rig.

The trailer lash-up is in compression and this creates the most vulnerable condition the rig encounters as to NOT being able to deal with crosswinds.

The correct speed and gear plus readiness to manually activate trailer brakes AND instantly accelerate downhill are what matter. Thus, following distance.

Where did you come up with this?Lol

Please share with us your reference material for your quoted observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:06 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Hailing from Florida, I am far less experienced than everyone else in this conversation and I confess of having no training whatsoever. Done with full disclosure. When on ice, TV losing traction it appears to become a predicament that only luck can fix: gassing won't do, neutral appears to accept that all we can do is wait and hope. Should the trailer stil has traction, touching the brakes will most certainly make them skid too... What am I getting wrong? A possible solution maybe was to think ahead and place good chains in TV and perhaps snow socks on the trailer's tires? After traction is lost, the only option appears to be to regain it by steering into the slide and step on the gas just a touch. If TV has traction and trailer is skidding: speed up and (try) to slow down the trailer by applying brakes to it (if they have any traction left, of course). All of this with a still misterious (to me) use/not use of exhaust brakes. If this was not so important, I would chose to go to the movies in the mall instead, with plenty of popcorn.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have a 2008 Diesel Ram 2500. I have been told by several people to always use the exhaust brake as it keeps the gunk from building up in the turbo.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I have a 2008 Diesel Ram 2500. I have been told by several people to always use the exhaust brake as it keeps the gunk from building up in the turbo.
I always leave mine on, and drive in town in 3-4 the gear to keep the engine warm and never been to the shop..
Old 12-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
Hailing from Florida, I am far less experienced than everyone else in this conversation and I confess of having no training whatsoever. Done with full disclosure. When on ice, TV losing traction it appears to become a predicament that only luck can fix: gassing won't do, neutral appears to accept that all we can do is wait and hope. Should the trailer stil has traction, touching the brakes will most certainly make them skid too... What am I getting wrong? A possible solution maybe was to think ahead and place good chains in TV and perhaps snow socks on the trailer's tires? After traction is lost, the only option appears to be to regain it by steering into the slide and step on the gas just a touch. If TV has traction and trailer is skidding: speed up and (try) to slow down the trailer by applying brakes to it (if they have any traction left, of course). All of this with a still misterious (to me) use/not use of exhaust brakes. If this was not so important, I would chose to go to the movies in the mall instead, with plenty of popcorn.
why would you go to neutral, just let off the gas, if you go to four wheel drive , no worries, trailer isn't going to slide unless you lock up the brakes,,also with the hitch bars up tight you have less weight on drive axle resulting in lost traction...besides in bad weather you are better off to park it, it is more cost effective
Old 12-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
It is not that you leave it in neutral. You can shift into neutral for a second or two to regain control, then put the trans back in drive.

The loss of traction is the issue, it occurs because the driver wanted to slow down. Four wheel drive is a different story too; sure it will distribute the engine torque, but what about the fact that the brakes in a pick-up are not equal between the front and back?

That is why I believe you need to know your equipment and works best for it. Certainly there are common ideas. In the north, ice is common; in my Idaho days it seem to be the norm, studded tires sets were common.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Another way to increase traction on ice, is to avoid driving when temps are above 15 F. Most slipperiness is gone when you get near 0 F. At -20, driving on ice is comparable to driving on a dirt road.

I wish I didn't know this, and one of my life's goals is to never be in a position to be able to test it again.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
why would you go to neutral, just let off the gas, if you go to four wheel drive , no worries, trailer isn't going to slide unless you lock up the brakes,,also with the hitch bars up tight you have less weight on drive axle resulting in lost traction...besides in bad weather you are better off to park it, it is more cost effective
Good point and my point exactly, going to neutral on ice was suggested by others on this Forum and I don't follow that logic.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:18 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
Another way to increase traction on ice, is to avoid driving when temps are above 15 F. Most slipperiness is gone when you get near 0 F. At -20, driving on ice is comparable to driving on a dirt road.

I wish I didn't know this, and one of my life's goals is to never be in a position to be able to test it again.
Not necessarily true, if it has been cold for several days ,26-32 is the critical temperature , watch the sun , below that it's good..you can watch the pile up's on the interstates, inattentive driving,following too close too fast and no experience...
Old 12-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #60
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Where did you come up with this?Lol

Please share with us your reference material for your quoted observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Plain old experience. Forty years plus with these rigs, and over twenty commercially.

Pay attention to the lash up problem. That's what matters.

An EB isn't a crutch. Don't use it as one.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote