Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2019, 08:05 AM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
To whom are you referring? I was talking about the shock absorbers dampening control. Not stability control, although they do interact, but seem to leave itbc trailer info out of the program. I cannot comment on any brand other than GM.
I'm referring to about half the posters on this thread including the OP with their patently false claims that Blue Ox advises anyone to turn off stability control. The entire thread title is misleading in that it specifically says "Electronic Stability Control" which no one is advising anyone to turn off. It's pure, unadulterated FUD serving some personal agenda. It's bunk. It's false.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profxd View Post
Even though you haven’t there are many that have had issues and most are lighter vehicles that are using high tension on the bars.
FWIW,

The most important aspect of these hitches, especially when it comes to Airstreams, due to their heavy tongue weights is Weight Distribution period. The only way to eliminate the overload situation on the rear axle. What ever sway prevention it provides is incidental to the increased tension on the axles.
This is most important on short wheel based marginal TV.
You want reliable sway prevention, use a heavier TV with a longer wheel base that is the safest way.
My short wheel base F-150 was bullied on occasion by our 30' International. One reason I traded up to a F-250 and while I was at it I also got it with the longer wheel base.
When I had the crash avoidance incident the trucks SC kicked in it was flashing on the dash, and the trailer was like a rag doll behind me.
After the tension passed I huge smile appeared on my face.
Yes one can go through all kinds of gyrations and spend thousands to make a small vehicle work but at the end of the day its amounts to no more than stuffing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lbs bag.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I'm referring to about half the posters on this thread including the OP with their patently false claims that Blue Ox advises anyone to turn off stability control. The entire thread title is misleading in that it specifically says "Electronic Stability Control" which no one is advising anyone to turn off. It's pure, unadulterated FUD serving some personal agenda. It's bunk. It's false.
You are making a distinction between electronic trailer sway control and electronic stability control. Can one be turned off without the other? Even if so, why would you turn it off to satisfy a particular hitch? Wouldn't it be nice to have both? Wouldn't it be better to have a different hitch that works with the TSC?
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
You are making a distinction between electronic trailer sway control and electronic stability control. Can one be turned off without the other? Even if so, why would you turn it off to satisfy a particular hitch? Wouldn't it be nice to have both? Wouldn't it be better to have a different hitch that works with the TSC?
Actually, the recommendation in Blue Ox's guide is specific to one condition, a "rough ride" that may be alleviated by turning off the vehicle's sway control. I have towed both ways and haven't detected any difference, so it may be a reference to some previous generation of sway control or to some particular set of conditions not present in my rig.

I am not "making" a distinction between the two systems, they are quite different. I'm sure they use many of the same sensors, but in fact they are distinct systems and (at least on an F150) you can very easily toggle the trailer sway control in the trailer settings and it does not in any way turn off AdvanceTrac, which makes the entire opening post of the thread and the thread title false and misleading since they falsely suggest that Blue Ox recommends disabling a vehicle's electronic stability control system.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 06-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, so what exactly happens on a 2017 F-250 with a 30' Classic in back of it when Ford's magic whatever you want to call it cuts in?

Well, first the brakes do a bit of this and a bit of that. It's not exactly what I would call gentle. It does straighten things out. Part of this involves firing the trailer brakes as well as the truck brakes.

Next, you get a message on the dash that tells you that it has cut in and lowered your speed for you. You can then proceed however you wish.

I had it fire off maybe twice very early on with this rig. Once I wised up a tiny little bit, it stoped. No changes in hitch or any of that. We did change the load in the trailer a bit.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Actually, the recommendation in Blue Ox's guide is specific to one condition, a "rough ride" that may be alleviated by turning off the vehicle's sway control. I have towed both ways and haven't detected any difference, so it may be a reference to some previous generation of sway control or to some particular set of conditions not present in my rig.

I am not "making" a distinction between the two systems, they are quite different. I'm sure they use many of the same sensors, but in fact they are distinct systems and (at least on an F150) you can very easily toggle the trailer sway control in the trailer settings and it does not in any way turn off AdvanceTrac, which makes the entire opening post of the thread and the thread title false and misleading since they falsely suggest that Blue Ox recommends disabling a vehicle's electronic stability control system.
Either way, it does not seem right for a hitch manufacturer to be telling people to turn off any of the tow vehicle's electronic safety devices. I would bring the hitch back and get one that works with all the systems.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Either way, it does not seem right for a hitch manufacturer to be telling people to turn off any of the tow vehicle's electronic safety devices. I would bring the hitch back and get one that works with all the systems.
Yes, we all know about your tiresome crusade against weight-distributing hitches. You're welcome to your opinion on that, and if you'll spread it without the falsehoods regarding stability control I'll go back to ignoring it as it deserves.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Yes, we all know about your tiresome crusade against weight-distributing hitches. You're welcome to your opinion on that, and if you'll spread it without the falsehoods regarding stability control I'll go back to ignoring it as it deserves.
Please feel free to go ahead and disable your electronic sway control.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
There is some mention of it on page 7 of the manual.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Minneapolis , Minnesota
This weight and distribution topic has consumed the last couple of months for me. I have a Lexus LX570 with tow rating of 7K. The air ride and stabilization will level the LX no matter what the load on the hitch. It cannot be turned off. It was almost impossible to determine the Blue Ox setting that was correct for distributing the weight.
After a serious sway incident, I dug deeper to find how little I knew. I found the GVWR, GCWR, GAW(front and rear) on the drivers door frame of the LX. I discovered that the trailer and car combined weight capacity is significantly less than the total for the two together. I purchased a tonged weight scale to confirm I was in spec for the trailer and load.
I, also, discovered the CAT scales. Using their mobile app (Weight My Truck) I was able to drive on to weigh the front and rear axels plus the trailer. For $12, it gave numbers for each and the total. The settings for the Blue Ox by the dealer caused the rear axel weight to be significantly over spec and the front axel too light. I adjusted the hitch and weighed again. They charge $2 to re-weigh. After three tries, I was able to get the hitch properly adjusted. The axels are now in spec and fairly balanced. I am pressing the capacity of the LX so I now weight each time I change what I am carrying (including fluids). It is now much more stable. I have had no sway problems.

Yes, I am looking at a different tow vehicle, but what I learned really changes how I approach the next steps.
Espresso2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Summerfield , Florida
ASW versus ESC

Quote:
The Anderson manual is more thorough in its explanation of why they tell you to turn off your ESC. See page 2.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...18+low+res.pdf
Anderson recommends turning off the Anti-Sway Control(ASW) not the Electronic Stability Control (ESC). Totally different. I have the 2019 Ford F-150 XLT and it has the option of turning off ASW while towing with the Anderson Hitch. I turn off ASW and the hitch system has excellent corrective response to sway. Easy to see that action in side view mirrors.
Pubtym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:48 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubtym View Post
Anderson recommends turning off the Anti-Sway Control(ASW) not the Electronic Stability Control (ESC). Totally different. I have the 2019 Ford F-150 XLT and it has the option of turning off ASW while towing with the Anderson Hitch. I turn off ASW and the hitch system has excellent corrective response to sway. Easy to see that action in side view mirrors.
I would suggest you leave ESC engaged and not to rely on the Anderson for sway control.
It doesn't have any.
It might work one day when Anderson discovers how to push with a chain.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:05 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Summerfield , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I would suggest you leave ESC engaged and not to rely on the Anderson for sway control.
It doesn't have any.
It might work one day when Anderson discovers how to push with a chain.
Yes, I turn off ASW (Anti Sway Control) on my Ford Truck and leave (ESC) Electronic Stability Control "On". It does have sway control. Fact: I understand the dynamics of the chains and I see anti-sway control every time I tow.

If you have a credible technical evaluation of the Andersen Hitch, clearly substantiating the argument of "lack of sway control", please submit. Facts matter. Opinions don't.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:16 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubtym View Post
Yes, I turn off ASW (Anti Sway Control) on my Ford Truck and leave (ESC) Electronic Stability Control "On". It does have sway control. Fact: I understand the dynamics of the chains and I see anti-sway control every time I tow.

If you have a credible technical evaluation of the Andersen Hitch, clearly substantiating the argument of "lack of sway control", please submit. Facts matter. Opinions don't.
Not an opinion friend just the simple facts gained by on hands experience.
I to got sucked in by the "simplicity" and elegance of the Anderson.
I followed their instructions to the letter including torching off the coupler and welding the one suggested by Anderson tack welding yadi,yada.
I couldn't even make the WD work until I figured out that I needed to change the length of the chains . The factory was no help, matter of fact one technician finally admitted that it wasn't the best application for an Airstream. The most dangerous part of it was rolling down hill it was like a free fall for the trailer. After a a harrowing trip out west I junked the whole thing, reinstalled the original coupler and installed a Blue Ox.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:40 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Summerfield , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Not an opinion friend just the simple facts gained by on hands experience.
I to got sucked in by the "simplicity" and elegance of the Anderson.
I followed their instructions to the letter including torching off the coupler and welding the one suggested by Anderson tack welding yadi,yada.
I couldn't even make the WD work until I figured out that I needed to change the length of the chains . The factory was no help, matter of fact one technician finally admitted that it wasn't the best application for an Airstream. The most dangerous part of it was rolling down hill it was like a free fall for the trailer. After a a harrowing trip out west I junked the whole thing, reinstalled the original coupler and installed a Blue Ox.
Instruction's very clear on adjusting chains for Weight Distribution. Again, my Anderson Hitch and detailed Installation Instructions worked excellent for me. I'll keep all.