Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So you mean that we should just buy what most people buy? We should jump off the cliff because everyone else is?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
I Don't Mean Anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
So you mean that we should just buy what most people buy? We should jump off the cliff because everyone else is?
I didn't say anything! All that I did was report the "facts!" There's an old sayin that goes like this....."Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." Just because you may not like the "facts'" does not change them in the least. I don't report opinions, just the facts.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I don't understand where Consumer Reports gets some of their information on the reliability of vehicles. I have never had any serious issues with my 06 Dodge Cummins with 187,000 miles on it. I have friends who own the gas and diesel Dodges and they have not had an issues. Before I retired I had 2 Dodge Stratus vehicles and never had to take them back to the dealership. My 2nd Stratus was sold to our neighbor who drove the car over 250,000 before the timing chain failed.

Most of the time I avoid the truck stops because their fuel prices are usually higher than surrounding stations. I try to make it a habit to always fuel with a half tank of diesel. I have never had an issue with bad fuel and I always purchase from name dealers. NEVER from mom and pop locations. I worked on a Motor Fuel Tax Unit and saw first had how good diesel could be blended with sludge or just plan crud from the bottom of the barges and sold at small independent stations.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:18 AM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
I didn't say anything! All that I did was report the "facts!" There's an old sayin that goes like this....."Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." Just because you may not like the "facts'" does not change them in the least. I don't report opinions, just the facts.
I didn't say you said anything. What I should have written is that if one takes these facts seriously it would be easy to come to a very unfactual conclusion. Percentages quoted are irrelevant to actual sales, only to sales increase. I don't disagree with your facts you quoted, only with the implied interptratation of them.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:11 AM   #85
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Once More Please.

Quote:
I didn't say you said anything. What I should have written is that if one takes these facts seriously it would be easy to come to a very unfactual conclusion. Percentages quoted are irrelevant to actual sales, only to sales increase. I don't disagree with your facts you quoted, only with the implied interptratation of them.
Just the facts, one more time please. I am going to list the actual "numbers" for you this time, maybe then you will understand that I never "implied " or "interpreted" anything. I am going to leave that up to you. Ford, 205,453 sold in October. Chevy, 183,464 sold in October. GMC, 45,478 sold in October. Ram, 43,749 sold in October. Just the "facts!"
Old 11-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I bought my Ram 2500 in August. What are those numbers? The dealer I purchased from had about 25 2500s in stock and all but 4 2015s are gone now. 2016s coming in so not many incentives this time of year. There are no 2015 Ecodiesels on their lot but still a good selection of 5.7L.

Kelvin
Old 11-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #87
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I don't think your original post had any sales figures, only percentages. You obviously don't know the difference which proves my point. Sales figure facts actually show how many vehicles were sold, a fact. Percentages only show an increase or d read in sales, a fact. If x sells a hundred vehicles one year and next year sells 101 that's a small percent. If y sell one vehicles and the next year sells two that's a hundred percent increase . So using percentages one can infer that y is doing much better, although selling fewer vehicles.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:56 AM   #88
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
By the way, I was referring to the info in the original post not to your posting them. Also by the way, if you think I am posting because I am a dodge owner, you would be incorrect. I believe a gm truck to be the correct vehicle for the majority if truck owners. Most don't need a one ton Cummins dodge.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:05 AM   #89
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Read my last post please!

Quote:
I don't think your original post had any sales figures, only percentages. You obviously don't know the difference which proves my point. Sales figure facts actually show how many vehicles were sold, a fact. Percentages only show an increase or d read in sales, a fact. If x sells a hundred vehicles one year and next year sells 101 that's a small percent. If y sell one vehicles and the next year sells two that's a hundred percent increase . So using percentages one can infer that y is doing much better, although selling fewer vehicles.
You obviously didn't read my last post. I quoted actual numbers sold! And yes I do know the difference, that's why I have quoted you both the percentages and the actual sold numbers. There is nothing more I can do? Just keep drinking the "kool aid" and you can continue ignoring the "facts" and remain "uninformed."
Old 11-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #90
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Your original post did not have sales figures and that's what my op was referring to.why are you taking this so personally. If you or I don't know something that gives us a chance to learn. This is about percentages. If you had posted sales figures in your first post, I never would have even commented. Actual sales figures are hard facts. Percentage figures can be interpreted many ways. you live in the most beautiful part of the country, maybe someday we will cross paths and can bs over a campfire. Good camping. Ps. With Gordon retiring this year and Stewart next, what a different nascar it will be! I wonder who will be the next to hang it up.? Sorry fir the hijack.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:27 AM   #91
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Just the facts, one more time please. I am going to list the actual "numbers" for you this time, maybe then you will understand that I never "implied " or "interpreted" anything. I am going to leave that up to you. Ford, 205,453 sold in October. Chevy, 183,464 sold in October. GMC, 45,478 sold in October. Ram, 43,749 sold in October. Just the "facts!"
We know that the truck market didn't increase in size by 500k in October. One would have to assume that these are replacement trucks and that the Ram's are the most reliable...
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #92
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The sales figures should be hard facts. Unless the source is incorrect we have to assume they are accurate. That Was my point. Just quoting percentages gives one no idea of actual sales.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:45 AM   #93
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Accepted!

Quote:
Your original post did not have sales figures and that's what my op was referring to.why are you taking this so personally. If you or I don't know something that gives us a chance to learn. This is about percentages. If you had posted sales figures in your first post, I never would have even commented. Actual sales figures are hard facts. Percentage figures can be interpreted many ways. you live in the most beautiful part of the country, maybe someday we will cross paths and can bs over a campfire. Good camping. Ps. With Gordon retiring this year and Stewart next, what a different nascar it will be! I wonder who will be the next to hang it up.? Sorry fir the hijack.
There are several drivers that are getting close to the end of the road. Biffle, Kenseth and it won't be long before Jr starts thinking about it. He still want's that championship and I keep hoping that he will get one before he hangs it up. Even Johnson is not a young man at 40. I was a Bill Elliott fan back in the day and I am looking foreword to watching Chase, I think he is going to be the next star. And yes I do live in a beautiful part of the Country. If I ever move it wouldn't be far, maybe just across the TN border, around the Tri Cities area. TN doesn't have any state sales tax or personal property tax.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #94
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
I don't understand where Consumer Reports gets some of their information on the reliability of vehicles.
I do! Each year, they send out surveys to members (those who subscribe to the magazine). These surveys cover household items (refrigerators, dishwashers, washer-dryers, coffee makers, etc.) and also cars, lawn mowers and so on...

On the car survey, they ask you to rate the vehicle over all and subcategories (transmission, engine, interior fit & finish, mechanical, etc.). The surveys are actually pretty comprehensive and long! The results of those surveys are compiled and then published.

I’ve found their rating pretty accurate as to problem areas with vehicles and such. However, one of the vehicles I have, a ’98 Jeep Wrangler, is rated poorly by them. Mine has been actually pretty good bucking a lot of their ID’d problem areas. On my previous Ford trucks, they have been spot on. It always cracked me up reading on how they described the ride in a Wrangler and rate it as poor... of course it doesn’t ride like a sedan, it’s suspension is made for handing off-road trips & adventures!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #95
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
There are several drivers that are getting close to the end of the road. Biffle, Kenseth and it won't be long before Jr starts thinking about it. He still want's that championship and I keep hoping that he will get one before he hangs it up. Even Johnson is not a young man at 40. I was a Bill Elliott fan back in the day and I am looking foreword to watching Chase, I think he is going to be the next star. And yes I do live in a beautiful part of the Country. If I ever move it wouldn't be far, maybe just across the TN border, around the Tri Cities area. TN doesn't have any state sales tax or personal property tax.
Should be an interesting next few years. We better stop the nascar talk before we get called for hijacking the thread. This younger generation will be fun, fun to watch!
Old 11-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #96
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
My Apologies to Everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
We know that the truck market didn't increase in size by 500k in October. One would have to assume that these are replacement trucks and that the Ram's are the most reliable...
Well, it looks like I owe everyone a great big apology. You are exactly right Tuco. The big three has never even come close to selling 500K trucks in one month. I was looking at the sales figure for each nameplate, which was only accurate for Ram. Here are the correct sales figures for each of the big three "truck" sales in October. Ford, 65,000. Chevy, 51,647. Ram, 43,749. GMC, 18,521. As you can see, GM is still selling more trucks than Ford when you combine both nameplates, the total is 70,168. I am sorry and apologize once again to everyone, especially you Avionstreamer! I promise you that these figures are correct as reported by the manufacturers.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Except for a bunch of recalls, my "153% less reliable" '14 Ram 2500 (35,100 on the ODO), has only been in the shop for filter and oil changes. Somebody else must be having all the trouble I'm not having....I'm right at 14 MPG overall....and that includes plenty of mountains. Just put on brand new 20" Michelin Defender tires....and WOW! are they awesome....much better ride than the stock Firestone's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Change oil ,filter, and fuel filter same as anything else...
That is what I was thinking... but I've see posts around here from several members that say it is expensive and so on and on....

I guess for some is like open heart surgery...
Xicaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
olympia , Washington
Quote:
Here is the latest sales ticker for the big three in truck sales for the month of October. GMC up 18%. Chevy up 17.6%. Ford up 14.3%. Ram up 3%. Just thought some might like to know. A good month for GM and Ford, not so much for Ram.
The only turn off for me is that big freaking box looking thing under the passenger side on the GMCs. I like RAMs, GMCs, Chev's in no particular order. Like the looks of FORD but... no thanks.
Xicaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #99
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Well, it looks like I owe everyone a great big apology. You are exactly right Tuco. The big three has never even come close to selling 500K trucks in one month. I was looking at the sales figure for each nameplate, which was only accurate for Ram. Here are the correct sales figures for each of the big three "truck" sales in October. Ford, 65,000. Chevy, 51,647. Ram, 43,749. GMC, 18,521. As you can see, GM is still selling more trucks than Ford when you combine both nameplates, the total is 70,168. I am sorry and apologize once again to everyone, especially you Avionstreamer! I promise you that these figures are correct as reported by the manufacturers.
No need, all is well. Good camping!
Old 11-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Duramax Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbroad View Post
On the edge of making a decision that I only want to make once and be happy with it for the rest of my towing life (asking a lot I know!). Looks like it comes down to RAM 2500 with Cummings or Silverado 2500 Duramax. I'm told the Duramax is a gas engine block converted to diesel. Does this make any significant difference? Who ever knew that making a TV decision would be so agonizing! What's the consensus out there?
My cousin owns Cummins and it is a very good diesel.
I own a 2015 Duramax with Allison Transmission. Absolutely love it. Gets 14.7 mpg at 67mph towing 28' Flying Cloud. At 85mph it gets 11.2mpg. Smooth as silk at higher speeds.

The GMC Sierra HD is a better built truck than the RAM. The materials are a grade better. Engines for RAM and GMC both great. The US Army just picked the Duramax for its next Hummer replacement. That says quite a bit.
Kingsmen 33 is offline   Reply With Quote