Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Does the tail wag the dog?

You often see people on here referring to the "the tail wagging the dog", but what does it actually mean? My Airstream tows quite obediently and the only really noticeable effects I feel on the tow vehicle are the drag as I'm accelerating and the slight push as I'm slowing down without brakes; I wouldn't call that wagging.

Who has experienced the tail wagging the dog? What was happening to make you think it was happening? If you experienced it, what did you do to make it stop?

I may be asking a bit too much but can we stick to actual experience rather than theorizing? We'll get into all sorts of unsubstantiated claims when talking theory!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
When we are passed by a fast moving truck or in gusty side winds, I can feel the trailer behind me being pushed before the bow wave hits the truck. The truck by itself does also see the same effects, but to a lesser extent. Therefore, the trailer (tail) is effecting the performance of the towing vehicle (dog). In an extreme example, you catch a soft shoulder with a trailer wheel and it has a major effect on the stability of the total package. Ask "Foiled again". I even noticed it this weekend while towing a 5,000 lb. sailboat on the interstate.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
When we are passed by a fast moving truck or in gusty side winds, I can feel the trailer behind me being pushed before the bow wave hits the truck. The truck by itself does also see the same effects, but to a lesser extent. Therefore, the trailer (tail) is effecting the performance of the towing vehicle (dog). In an extreme example, you catch a soft shoulder with a trailer wheel and it has a major effect on the stability of the total package. Ask "Foiled again". I even noticed it this weekend while towing a 5,000 lb. sailboat on the interstate.
OK, so I'm interpreting the wagging thing as always being bad when really it's any event where the trailer's movement affects the tow vehicle. That can be as minor as some simple feedback like the bow wave of the trucks sweeping past, or major like Foiled Again's disaster. I've dropped the wheels of my Airstream off the edge of the pavement in a construction zone (fortunately onto a slightly lower pavement and not soft stuff) and felt it only as feedback to prompt me to correct, but that's still the wagging effect, right?

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A dog's tail weighs but ounces . . we've all seen sight predators use their tails for counterbalance in fine turns or twists.

It is the principle expressed that a lightweight trailer can exert an enormous effect upon a heavier TV due to centrifugal force. Those forces far exceed the static weights involved.

The outward force increases from the center of rotation. Trailer weight is one part, and distance from hitch ball to either TV rear axle or outwards to TT axles is the other.

There is a point where the TV rear axle will lose traction, big trailer or small. The devil may be in the details, but the expression is to beware of any trailer size or weight.

I think of this for those who've given their TT a cutesy name . . when that bitch is trying to pass the TV from either side then that name ain't so fun[ny] any more.

There's a point where it gets far enough out there it ain't coming back . . or our actions at the wheel make it so.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It is a feeling I feel in my stomach when there are crosswinds or a big truck passes. It doesn't fell dangerous, just noticeable. As I am feeling like the trailer is wobbling, I look in the rear view mirror to see the trailer tracking arrow straight, which makes me think it is totally unseen by other motorists around me. It really think that having nearly 10,000# behind me I am going to feel it, especially on windy days. When there is no wind, it is almost like the trailer isn't there until an 18 wheeler comes by.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Does the tail wag the dog?

Yes...some more so than others.

In my experience our single axle Safari was a wagger. Much more noticeable when being towed by our somewhat marginal short wheelbase Jeep GW. Crosswind gusts and 18 wheelers not comfortable at all.

Not so much with our 95 Burb, the wag was still there but the longer WB and heavier TV made it much harder to detect. The dual axle Classic towed much better even with the same hitch with friction sway control.
Bringing that forward, a three axle AS would feel even more stable.

But don't let the FEEL lull us into thinking that the sway has been eliminated. A properly set up rig is the most important safety component we have control over...lets do all we can to make them as safe as possible.

Bob
Old 08-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
There are things to reduce the tail wag...THE FIRST IS MATCHING THE TRAILER WITH THE TOWER GVWR.. ie the GVWR of the dog must exceed the the GVWR of the tail Travel trailer. Second is a load leveling hitch.
JennandJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The tail (Airstream) will always wag the dog (tow vehicle) even if yiou don't feel it, especiall when the hitching is not correct, or towing with just a ball.

To stop the wag, rig correctly, properly and adjust it correctly as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I noticed the other day when driving the pickup with no trailer attached that it still does all that wiggling around. You really cannot tell that the trailer is there until the 18 wheeler bow wave.
I think the reason for all the wobbling of the truck is bad asphalt roads with trenches worn in from heavy 18 wheeler traffic. The width of the wheel track on an 18 wheeler is slightly different than that of my pickup- so it can't find a comfortable place to track in those ruts caused by the 18 wheelers. It is constantly up and down the edge of the ruts. Where the ruts are is continually changing. The ruts are in the middle on a straight stretch of road, but get closer to the middle on an inside curve and closer to the outer edge on an outside curve.
I think the low profile wide 20" tires compound this phenomenon because I don't notice it as much in my Pathfinder with smaller 16" diameter, more narrow tires.
I also believe the age of the tires may compound the problem. Although they still have a little tread life left they are original to the truck that is nearly 6 years old.
Discovering that the wiggling was not due to the trailer was a comfort.
New tires might help, but there is nothing I can do about bad roads.
Maybe if I ever get another truck I can get 17" wheels instead of 20" wheels.
I may never get another truck. This one has 28,000 miles after 6 years.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Example of "tail wagging the dog"

See old Airstream marketing video, below (test begins at 1:50).

While the extreme swaying and swerving on the SOB was induced, under certain conditions, this can occur during normal driving.

There are a couple of areas in Arizona where travel trailer rollovers frequently occur. Most are caused by a combination improper- or over-loading, excessive speed, downhill grade and sudden wind gusts. Occasionally, tire failure and/or a rapid lane change due to collision avoidance or the driver falling asleep, are also contributing factors.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Tail wagging the dog?
That's pretty easy. It is when you look out the side window and see your Airstream.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Two weeks ago I saw the tail wag the dog. Not an Airstream but a small SOB. He came over a small rise with trailer wagging. He was in our lane coming at us and all I kept saying was "Oh sh*t, oh sh*t!" Hubby had pulled over as far as we could. Last minute he got back in his lane, went the other way, hit a road sign, ended up upside down in the ditch with his trailer at a 45 degree angle on its side. This weekend we were on the interstate coming up on a full size pickup towing a trailer that was wagging all over. I was terrified until we got around him.
I have never seen our trailer wag even in high winds, although, I am sure it does.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
See old Airstream marketing video, below (test begins at 1:50).

While the extreme swaying and swerving on the SOB was induced, under certain conditions, this can occur during normal driving.

There are a couple of areas in Arizona where travel trailer rollovers frequently occur. Most are caused by a combination improper- or over-loading, excessive speed, downhill grade and sudden wind gusts. Occasionally, tire failure and/or a rapid lane change due to collision avoidance or the driver falling asleep, are also contributing factors.
Interesting. Did you watch the trailer tires during the S curves? Couldn't help watching the rubber twist and bend without thinking about ST vs. LT tires!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrug View Post
Two weeks ago I saw the tail wag the dog. Not an Airstream but a small SOB. He came over a small rise with trailer wagging. He was in our lane coming at us and all I kept saying was "Oh sh*t, oh sh*t!" Hubby had pulled over as far as we could. Last minute he got back in his lane, went the other way, hit a road sign, ended up upside down in the ditch with his trailer at a 45 degree angle on its side. This weekend we were on the interstate coming up on a full size pickup towing a trailer that was wagging all over. I was terrified until we got around him.
I have never seen our trailer wag even in high winds, although, I am sure it does.
Glad you weren't hurt! Hope the other guys were ok too. I've seen others in that condition and it is just frightening!

It does seem the AS is better out of the gates on this aspect (the video Phoenix posted demonstrates that well). Still, I'll take as much help as I can get with my choice of hitch and slower speed. You can't control everything but you can raise your odds a bit...
Old 08-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When I learned the Hensley/Propride hitch design eliminated trailer sway (tail wagging dog) it became clear these sway conversations are not relevant in this age of towing. If this concerns you, you don't need a bigger truck to mask trailer sway, you need a modern hitch to eliminate it.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Glad you weren't hurt! Hope the other guys were ok too. I've seen others in that condition and it is just frightening!

It does seem the AS is better out of the gates on this aspect (the video Phoenix posted demonstrates that well). Still, I'll take as much help as I can get with my choice of hitch and slower speed. You can't control everything but you can raise your odds a bit...
Not sure about the other guy. He said he was OK even though he was upside down in a ditch that had water in it. We have sway control and a decent TV.
I was kind of shaking and then, after it seemed everything was OK except the other guy's truck and trailer, I hoped the parrot in our back seat didn't learn any bad words.

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
I even noticed it this weekend while towing a 5,000 lb. sailboat on the interstate.
Next time furl the sail before you tow
tlsmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrug View Post
I hoped the parrot in our back seat didn't learn any bad words.
How many times did you say "oh sh*t"? :-)

Don't mean to minimize the situation - it's scary, but thinking about your recollection of the moments before, don't be surprised if that's the parrot's next phrase! :-o
Old 08-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
How many times did you say "oh sh*t"? :-)

Don't mean to minimize the situation - it's scary, but thinking about your recollection of the moments before, don't be surprised if that's the parrot's next phrase! :-o
I said it more times than I care to think. The words Dusty learns are usually the ones we would prefer not to have her learn. We normally do not swear.

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
Old 08-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Lets just say I'm glad bloodhounds can't repeat what they hear!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1409227142.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	849.9 KB
ID:	192470

I think this was the 5th time she jumped up on that picnic table at a campground and got her hound ears full of a creative tapestry of language that would have make George Carlin blush. It's not her fault either, at our local off leash park, the picnic tables are expressly for the dogs and not for people. How would she know any different?

On edit - for the mods, let the record reflect there is a tail and a dog in this reply. :-)