Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Anchorage , Alaska
Dodge Durango and International Signature

We have a 2013 V8 Dodge Durango (HEMI) and I would like to know if anyone has tow experience with a 28' Airstream (we have International SS). We typically pull with a 2500 Chevrolet Suburban but we are moving from Alaska to Colorado and would like to take the Durango (and sell Suburban).

The Durango (with HEMI) is said to pull 7400 lbs. The listed GVWR for the unit is 7600 lbs.

I will be moving the family and want to make sure it is safe - and we can make our destination! It seems a little crazy to me (I like the idea of a heavier tow vehicle which is why I went with the 3/4 ton Suburban) but if there has been good experience, it would be much more convenient!

Thank you in advance for any and all thoughts!

Chris.
hrthelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:51 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Marysville , Washington
I also have a Durango with the v8 and wonder if I can tow our new 25fb with it. I have three large diesel duallies that obviously tow no problem, but they're large. If we do go with the Durango, I'll do the whole weight distributing thing and get a good trailer brake controller. For your 28' however, I'd recommend something that can tow more, probably f150. It's about the stopping power not if it can pull.
grandmaester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I don't know what your future plans are, but I would keep the Suburban and sell the Dodge. The Dodge isn't rated enough for your trailer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrthelr View Post
We have a 2013 V8 Dodge Durango (HEMI) and I would like to know if anyone has tow experience with a 28' Airstream (we have International SS). We typically pull with a 2500 Chevrolet Suburban but we are moving from Alaska to Colorado and would like to take the Durango (and sell Suburban).

The Durango (with HEMI) is said to pull 7400 lbs. The listed GVWR for the unit is 7600 lbs.

I will be moving the family and want to make sure it is safe - and we can make our destination! It seems a little crazy to me (I like the idea of a heavier tow vehicle which is why I went with the 3/4 ton Suburban) but if there has been good experience, it would be much more convenient!

Thank you in advance for any and all thoughts!

Chris.
Tow with the Suburban and sell the Durango. You can buy one in Colorado that has much less salt corrosion when you get there.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
It depends what your actual trailer weight is when it's loaded fro traveling.

My Durango is rated to tow 7200 and the max weight for my 25' is 7300. BUT fully loaded to travel our trailer weighs 6600. We tow from NY State to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, BC every year with no complaints.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I started towing my Serenity 28 with s 2016 Expedition EcoBoost. It was OK, but not great. Lots of power, but not enough payload. It quickly became an F250 Diesel.
I suspect your Durango will run out of payload especially when loaded with passengers.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Those specs are too close to the edge. Use the Suburban.

The Durango will work, but you never know when you will hit a particularly steep hill or a muddy campground. At that point you will need just a bit extra and the Durango won't have it.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Fort Collins , Colorado
The 28 foot AS has a particularly high tongue weight, and would be tough with your Durango, or any half ton, we have the same trailer. I live in Colorado and found my F150 with an Ecoboost, could do it, but I was near the limit on passes with transmission and engine overheating. Downhill was the worst, constant trailer braking and stressed out over keeping control, until we got the F250SD, the truck is the boss. Since you are moving to Colorado, I would definitely stick withe 3/4 ton and sell the Durango.
xfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
The weight of the trailer is not the issue, it is the tongue weight. Your trailers TW could easily approach 1000 lbs, which I am sure, exceeds the weight limits of your hitch and possibly your rear axle ratings. And DO NOT go by the published weights in the trailer brochures. In most cases they are not even close. For this you need a hitch scale or you need to hitch up and hit the public weigh scales. Once you load up the Durango and the trailer, I suspect you may also exceed the Durango's GVW. Again, you need to hit the scales to know where you are at.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
We have and 2018 25 FT FBT International serenity. We pull ours with a 2014 Dodge Durango citadel Hemi . It pulls like a dream. 14 miles to the gallon. We know others that pull their 28 FT an Are very happy. I love the fact of having all the luxury in this SUV and our fantastic Airstream.
You were in for a fabulous adventure. Enjoy!
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat200 View Post
We have and 2018 25 FT FBT International serenity. We pull ours with a 2014 Dodge Durango citadel Hemi . It pulls like a dream. 14 miles to the gallon. We know others that pull their 28 FT an Are very happy. I love the fact of having all the luxury in this SUV and our fantastic Airstream.
You were in for a fabulous adventure. Enjoy!
Not to rain on anyone's parade but "...pulls like a dream...", is pretty subjective. Pulls like a dream compared to what?, pulls like a dream under what circumstances, normal flat freeway driving, climbing or descending steep hills, emergency braking and emergency lane changes? 14 mpg is no measure for the capabilities of a tow vehicle. It is not what it does in the best of circumstances it is what it is capable of when things don't go as planned. Engineered weight ratings of the various components of your vehicle are there for a reason, not the least of which is the safety of the vehicles occupants and all other drivers on the road.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I pull a 25 with my 03 Dakota with 4.7 V8
Marginalon steep grades but the Hemi would do it hands down. My Dakota is rated for 5000 lbs Hitch set up by CanAm
Your Durango is a much newer version of the original which was based on the Dakota 4WD.
Why not try it before you move. Tow capacity is not likely a big deal but Tongue wt. might be.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here's my take. If you asked about transporting the trailer to it's new home as a one time deal, I'd say, "Yeah, but take it easy."
But you're MOVING to Colorado (lucky you) so you want the Dodge to be the tow vehicle in Colorado? Yes?
I'd say it's marginal at best, and probably overloaded going down hill. (and there's a lot of those in Co.)
The advertised hitch weight of the 28' international is 950#. Can the Durango manage a thousand pounds on the hitch?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Can the Durango manage a thousand pounds on the hitch?
But it won't have a thousand pounds on the hitch with weight distribution, right? Or am I wrong?
Old 04-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
But it won't have a thousand pounds on the hitch with weight distribution, right? Or am I wrong?
Weight distribution does not take weight off the hitch, it take weight off of the rear axles and redistributes it to the front axles of the tow vehicle and the trailer. And don't forget about the weight of the WD hitch itself, they can be 150+lbs.

I believe that with WD, the hitch capacity on the Durango increases to somewhere around 750lbs. It is not up to the task. The OP doesn't say where in Alaska he is coming from, but there are some pretty rough stretches of highway up there. I would want a TV with a pretty stout hitch setup and suspension so as not to risk breaking things along the way.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California

And here we go... another thread to vent out...

Durango will have better braking, handling, including emergency maneuvers than any pick up on the market or Suburban.

I do not know about 28' Airstream, but my Jayco trailer TW is 680 lbs dry. After relocating the battery from the tongue to the back of the trailer (lithium batteries, inverter, etc. - all is in the trailer under bunk beds) AND putting ProPride hitch my TW is ca. 690 lbs. ProPride itself weights 150 lbs, but adds length.

In short, maybe some mods are needed, but I am sure Durango would be much safer choice to tow this trailer.

Good luck! The discussion here can be heated

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
Not to rain on anyone's parade but "...pulls like a dream...", is pretty subjective. Pulls like a dream compared to what?, pulls like a dream under what circumstances, normal flat freeway driving, climbing or descending steep hills, emergency braking and emergency lane changes? 14 mpg is no measure for the capabilities of a tow vehicle. It is not what it does in the best of circumstances it is what it is capable of when things don't go as planned. Engineered weight ratings of the various components of your vehicle are there for a reason, not the least of which is the safety of the vehicles occupants and all other drivers on the road.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
Weight distribution does not take weight off the hitch, it take weight off of the rear axles and redistributes it to the front axles of the tow vehicle and the trailer. And don't forget about the weight of the WD hitch itself, they can be 150+lbs.

I believe that with WD, the hitch capacity on the Durango increases to somewhere around 750lbs. It is not up to the task. The OP doesn't say where in Alaska he is coming from, but there are some pretty rough stretches of highway up there. I would want a TV with a pretty stout hitch setup and suspension so as not to risk breaking things along the way.
Then why does the rear end of the tow vehicle rise when you hitch the WD? If weight goes to the front axle and the trailer, how can it also stay on the hitch?

I'm trying to understand this.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post

In short, maybe some mods are needed, but I am sure Durango would be much safer choice to tow this trailer.

Good luck! The discussion here can be heated
No heat here. Hook up to the 2500 and go. No modifications, welding, anguishing over scale tickets, weight and balance calculations like an airline pilot, or white knuckles. Been there done that, with my Grand Cherokee and just a Bambi 19’. Now I have a 27’ and just lock in that Hensley to my diesel and go.

You can do it the hard way, or the fun way.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Then why does the rear end of the tow vehicle rise when you hitch the WD? If weight goes to the front axle and the trailer, how can it also stay on the hitch?

I'm trying to understand this.
Because it imparts a twist to the “frame”. It’s called a moment in engineering terms. It simulates putting the tongue load somewhere in the passenger seat by twisting the frame.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Regardless, whether you are talking about pick up, SUV or sedan, none of them would be a perfect tow vehicle. All of them are just "bundle of design compromises". However, less mods are needed to make SUV a perfect tow vehicle that to make pick up a perfect tow vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
No heat here. Hook up to the 2500 and go. No modifications, welding, anguishing over scale tickets, weight and balance calculations like an airline pilot, or white knuckles. Been there done that, with my Grand Cherokee and just a Bambi 19’. Now I have a 27’ and just lock in that Hensley to my diesel and go.

You can do it the hard way, or the fun way.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote