Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrthelr View Post
We have a 2013 V8 Dodge Durango (HEMI) and I would like to know if anyone has tow experience with a 28' Airstream (we have International SS). We typically pull with a 2500 Chevrolet Suburban but we are moving from Alaska to Colorado and would like to take the Durango (and sell Suburban).

The Durango (with HEMI) is said to pull 7400 lbs. The listed GVWR for the unit is 7600 lbs.

I will be moving the family and want to make sure it is safe - and we can make our destination! It seems a little crazy to me (I like the idea of a heavier tow vehicle which is why I went with the 3/4 ton Suburban) but if there has been good experience, it would be much more convenient!

Thank you in advance for any and all thoughts!

Chris.
My advice:
Don't take any of the hundred different opinions of any of us. Do the math and figure it out yourself, basing your choice on the manufacturer's specs for your vehicle.

Look at the placards on the drivers door, specs in the owners manual, or wherever needed, to find load capacities of your specific vehicle.

Add up the weight of all of the passengers and other things you will need to have inside the tow vehicle while moving (make a list). Then add the loaded tongue weight of the trailer. Then add the weight of the complete WD hitch. See if all of that exceeds the cargo/payload capacity. If tow vehicle is within that spec, next figure out gross weight of both loaded vehicles. If the weight of the two loaded vehicles does not exceed the GCWR of the tow vehicle, then you are good to go. (assuming hitch, tires, brake controller, etc are adequate)

My opinion:
Stick with the Burb for your move.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Then why does the rear end of the tow vehicle rise when you hitch the WD? If weight goes to the front axle and the trailer, how can it also stay on the hitch?

I'm trying to understand this.
Have a look at this. Entertaining and informative.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I would opt for the larger TV for a lot of reasons, including payload and longer wheelbase...the video above is a good overview, but not sure you would be hitting any road "spoon" dips or "washaways" with any real speed to worry about the rear end adding the additional load in a dangerous fashion, as discussed in the video, however. Check your payload (as shown on the door jam sticker, drivers side) on the TV and see if your TW and other things your carrying, including all passengers, fall into that weight. Use a good WDH and be safe.

Here is another great youtube video which discuss the value of the WDH and anti-sway bars.

Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
More information is needed to come up with a more complete answer to your question.
Can you post information on both vehicles you are considering such as:
- Year
- engine size
- transmission
- axle ratio
- factory tow package
- estimated amount of weight carried in the tow vehicle (passengers, dogs, gear, etc...)
Either vehicle can be set up to be pretty solid but it may take a bit of effort to gather the appropriate information to go about what you want to accomplish.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote