Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Angry Disaster Struck!

Hello Experts!

Well, I'm back from my mini-vacation. I put the trailer and truck on a Ferry to an island in Lake Erie and went to the State Park Campground.

Problems:

1. There was a slight grade/hill coming off the ferry - the truck could only pull the camper 1/2 way up - stopped and would not budge one more inch - had to have the ferry people tow us up the hill - they weren't happy and turned us toward a dead-end at the top of the hill instead of heading us toward the road. We had to get ourselves turned around - took a while but we managed (quite the vocabulary was involved).

2. Took a tour around the island after setting up camp. Got back to the campsite and the truck died when put into reverse - jump, stall in forward or reverse - dead in the water - or on-the-island.

3. Called AAA who sent a flatbed truck over on the ferry and took the truck away. Now stuck on an island with no truck. I had a free tow up to 100 miles - we live 90 miles - Phew!

4. Had to stay an extra night because AAA (thank God I purchased AAA+ plus RV) couldn't get the trailer towed until Thursday (another 100 mile free tow) so I had to send my boyfriend home - his parents met him at the ferry station (2 hr. drive) so he could go to work yesterday.

5. The cost of the truck transmission + ferry trips for towing ------ $4,000.

6. The floor near the closet in the trailer is now squeeking and creaking when walked over.

This has not been my week - I may be setting up a website to take donations for transmission! (and trailer repair?)

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Wow, what an ordeal. Sorry to hear about your problems and the big bucks you have to spend.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Looks like a Dodge... $4000 for a tranny? Wow, that thing must be made of gold! Hope they replaced it with a new one for that price. Whooza! Did they say what was wrong with the old one? Did you have an aftermarket cooler on the transmission? If not, I'd strongly suggest you get one just as insurance.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal... at least it seems you were stuck in a pretty place.
The good news is that you should be good to go for awhile.
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wow, that's a great example of how insurance can save your bacon! Not sure what we would have done in that situation. I'll have to think about that RV coverage when w start travelling again!

Sorry about the tranny though, I joke that they pick the worst time to go out, but it seems like yours really did! Did it give you any warning?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
The only warning (says the dealership) would have been when we were driving it home from Seattle, WA (I've only owned it for less than 2 mos - flew to WA and bought truck and Airstream together) it would only go 28 miles per hour up the mountains.....we thought it was normal - I guess it wasn't.

The truck does have a transmission cooler installed at the factory - it was decked out to tow.....had a re-built tranny about 70+ thousand miles ago - I called the PO and found it only had a 60 day warranty (junk yard trans). This one will have a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty at least.....Gads!

Transmission costs $3,600 with my $100 off coupon - had to pay for the tow vehicles on the ferry, too.

McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Old 08-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hiya.

I had a transmission failure a year or so ago, not while towing, but shortly after a long trip. They do happen. And, a properly rebuilt transmission, installed, on a modern 3/4 ton truck is going to cost around $4000, maybe a little more or less depending on the rebuilder and whether you have any upgraded parts installed.

While many people have transmissions that last the life of the truck it isn't always like that. Mine had been used for plowing snow which will shorten the life of any transmission. Who knows what the history was of yours. Part of the price of admission I guess.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Be sure you shop around for price and what upgrades should be done. These transmissions can be really built up to handle a lot of punishment for not much extra. I would check out the diesel performance websites and have a local mechanic R/R the transmission.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Liz,

Sorry to hear of your troubles, sounds like a not-so-pleasent adventure.

Has the dealer confirmed the "total" transmission failure? If it was slipping that bad on your trip back from Seattle it could very well be toast. Your very lucky you made it home with the AS.

$3600-$4000 is ballpark for a factory re-manufactured transmission, at least it was several years ago when I was working at a Chevy store. The big plus w/factory reman is the warranty. Most tranny shops 90 daze is it.
They should give you a packet with all the warrantee paperwork, make sure it's all in order before you leave the dealership and KEEP the repair order with the paperwork.

BTW....did it rain?

Bob
Old 08-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Rained cats and dogs

LOL! It did rain Bob - buckets! Still leaking but not so bad....got to get that hose out and do some trouble-shooting!

By the way - any suggestions on the creaking floor? It seems to have just started up - only in one spot.....right near where the wheel well is all cracked. I tightened up the chains on the Reese WD bars one more link. I hope it isn't something bad......

McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers