Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
SteveH find out your average mph (total engine time divided into miles). I do short trips back and forth to work, but on days off make it a point to take the truck out on the highway and to drive right around 60-70 miles iin errand running even though my truck is pre-emssion.

I use a grille cover (removeable panels) in up to 75F weather, and in coldest weather a true winter front. I also plug in the truck without regard for temps. Keeping warm-up time to minimum is a good idea for any diesel truck, is good for mpg, and keeps fuel burn at a higher level of efficiency. An engine oil pan heater is a near future addition (a recommendation by the Cummins engineer with the highest mpg known; in his private CTD).

Accurate fuel records against engine hours (above 27-mph) is a good goal for any short trip (under 45-miles) vehicle. Keep the average high (30+ is best). Emissions gear/programming is least-used, so to speak, with a fully warmed vehicle travelling steady state.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:11 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Keswick , VA
First off, I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. As a new, and yet unproven AS owner and also a new diesel owner I have found this very interesting. I may be wishing I had not bought what I thought was a great diesel truck. That said, I did take a short trip of 400 miles last weekend and it averaged 17 mpg. Going to VA next week with an round trip mileage of 1200 so am anxious to see how it goes. Does everyone have issues with emissions? Seems like minimizing short, cold trips and excessive idling is the most important. Many of my farm clients have diesels and I have heard minimal about emission/turbo clogging problems from them. Heck, most of them don't even plug them in during our cold winters. Thanks again for all the comments and we can't wait to take possession of our FC and hit the road this spring! JnJ
herkvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
SteveH find out your average mph (total engine time divided into miles).
I can't do that with my truck because the timer is resettable, sort of like a trip timer.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The overhead readout is what I use for tank-to-tank. But total engine hours are recorded separately. In mine it is a matter of key-on and off while depressing trip odometer re-set. Check your manual or ask on CF for your year model of how to obtain total engine hours.

Lifetime average speed, just as lifetiime average mpg, are good tools to review annually how well une is driving. I do mine at the annual engine oil change (as total miles are low the past few years). In concert with tire & brake life one has a pretty good snapshot of how effectively we are using fuel, thus the truck.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
OK, I had to just search around because it wasn't in the book, but found it in EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information Center) under what else, Vehicle Information, and my average speed is 37+ miles per hour, and that's total odometer miles divided by total engine run time.