Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2015, 06:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Did changing to two 6 volt Batts. affect ride

I just changed out my group 24 12 volt batteries for 2 6 volt golf cart batts. I have only towed it 3 miles back from the shop where I bought the batteries but in that short distance it felt like more of the road irregularities was being felt in my truck. The batteries are mounted in battery box just behind the propane bottles this added about 36 lbs. I have a hensley arrow hitch I may need to adjust the bars some but was wondering if anyone has noticed this. And if so was there any adjustments to load or other factors to improve the ride quality.
Thanks Rand
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
What you have done is changed your tongue weight. You will now need to re-adjust your hitch set up to compensate for that.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
6volt batteries are almost 20lbs heavier each than grp 24. I wouldn't think adding 35 to 40lbs would make a noticeable difference.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I never noticed any difference when changing mine to a pair of golf cart batteries.

Andersen hitch in use.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Oklahoma
Grizbear,

I'm not a hitch expert by any means but unless you were already marginal on your hitch setup, I wouldn't think 36 pounds would make a significant difference with your 25' AS tongue weight. I can get as much weight fluctuation that you're describing depending whether my propane tanks are full or empty and I don't notice any difference. There's plenty of posts on hitches so maybe you could find more info as to that possibility.

Is 3 miles enough to warm up the tires to soften the rubber? If not, that might give you a little rougher ride initially. Speed and temperature can impact how quickly your tires will warm up. If you were putt putting through town, the tires might not have been fully warmed up. What were your temperatures in AL when you went to the shop? Could you have been feeling that little flat spot on your tires from having it sit awhile when it's cold? Maybe a tire expert might chime in and give us a better explanation.

Another thought; I'm guessing you are normally loaded down when taking the AS out. An empty TV and AS will ride a little differently than a loaded up one.

Road conditions might have given you false indications. Even though you may have backtracked the same route to and from, some roads are a little more bumpy on one side than the other.

My only other thought would be you might be subconsciously worrying about the added weight and you're being more critical than normal. I do that a lot! Might try getting out on the road for 30 miles or so to see how things feel after a longer drive.

Hope your 6 volt batteries work out okay for you. What brand did you go with? Did you have to modify your battery box? I've thought about doing the same with mine but not sure I can and still be able to get into the front storage after modifying the box.

Good luck!

-Wes-
Stream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Wes good points many had crossed my mind I park my AS behind the house under an cover its not easy to get back there so I don't take it out for test drives had new brakes installed and had already raised the top of the batt. box 1 7/8" so added the batteries while at the shop went with interstate batts. That will start a batt. debate, got a good price and many locations across country if I have a problem and few choices around here mostly auto stores brand. I also installed a 4 stage converter/charger it is working great I had been charging with a portable 4 stage charger this makes life much easier. They added the lug terminals for the price of the lugs. I will try adjusting tension bars next time I'm out on road. Thanks to everyone Rand
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote