Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
Dashboard cam

If you have ever watched any of the Russian car crashes taken with dashboard video cameras from YouTube, one might want to have one running on long road trips for that just-in-case accident where you may have to defend yourself in an accident that wasn't your fault.
Has anyone used one of these who could post brand and model, what they like about it and all the other pertinent info?
Thanks
Bill
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
This is just what I need, another gadget to distract my driving
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Google GoPro
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
GoPro is great, recording time and battery life, not so much.

If I could recommend something it'd be the LIVUE LB100 records at 720p@30fps has 8GB storage, uses an SD card. Has a wide view angle and comes with mount. Won\t break the bank.

If you want to spend some cash, google Itronics ITB-100HD
Old 07-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have a Genius DVR-FHD590 full high definition windshield camera. It turns on with the ignition and off when you stop. Records about 8 hours of amazing high definition quality video on a 32 GB micro SD card. Automatically writes over old stuff if you don't use it. 3 minute segments so you can find them. Automatic crash detection, with difficult to erase special storage if something happens. Well made, and very inexpensive, I paid $105 for mine at Walmart.com last winter. Another $30 for the micro SD card.

The only thing I don't like is the somewhat clunky mounting system (for my rig anyway) and the fact that another wire is strung around. BTW, it has rechargeable 4 hour back up battery built in.

Overall, a most impressive device.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
When I kept seeing videos from dash cams, I decided I would like to have one but since it was sort of a lark, I didn't want to spend a lot. I bought one off Amazon that was about $100. The brand is Genius model DVR-FHD590. It is 1080P with wide angle lens and takes micro SD cards. I have a 16 in mine but I think it will take up to 32gig. It has a mounting bracket and has performed flawlessly for me. It had good ratings but not all the bells and whistles like rain tight enclosure or window bracket. It does just what I want it to, take video as I drive down the road and when the card is full it starts over unless you want to save some or all of it.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I bought one of these to strap on the bottom of an RC helicopter.

Mini DVR 808 16 V3 Lens D Car Key Chain Micro Camera HD 720P Pocket Camcorder | eBay

Found it to be a pretty good value, with a lot of internet support, so I also got a couple different mounts for it. Only used it on the dash once, but might use it more. Battery is only good for 45 minutes, but can run indefinitely with a usb connection to the car. Many programmable features, including continuous loop for car use.

The one in the link is a wide angle lense, they also have the standard lens as well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Bought mine from Tadi Bros and love it. Not near truck to say brank. Bought a 32 gb add on and can leave running in windshield for 2 days and if anything happens I have a security camera. Great pictures and so small do not notice it,but I do have a lot of windshield. 2 inch screen so you can not just sit and watch it when you d4rive but take inside and watch on the computer.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I've been keeping my eyes open for a good camera, but I haven't taken the plunge yet. I see so many things other drivers do day in and day out that I would LOVE to have on video. I don't know if I'm just "lucky" in that I see these things and no one else does, or no one else has them happen, or they just don't notice them. Every day I see something that makes me think, "That would've been a good one for the camera." (In fact, I already had one of those moments this morning!) And if those incidents stop when I get the camera, so much the better.

Additionally, I was involved in an accident that got entirely blamed on me because the guy lied. A video of the incident would have provided indisputable evidence for both sides of the story.

So, I'm definitely interested in what people who have them say.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Skater,

I think a lot of your experiences have to do with the area of the country where you live. A dash cam makes a lot of sense there.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote