Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Curt Echo - Calling All Owners

Hi all,

I wanted to share my love/hate relationship with my Curt Echo and was hoping to better understand it. I absolutely love the simplicity of the device, the constant status shown on my smartphone and the ability to quickly increase / decrease the braking power depending on the road I am driving on.

My biggest pet peeves are the blue circle that shows the braking action and the fact that the device seems to 'fall asleep' quite often.

From what I understood, the blue circle shows the amount of braking force sent to the back, and is also backed up by an accelerometer. However quite often the blue circle doesn't show up and I know there is no signal being sent to my trailer brakes. I know that because on my highway setting of 15, the trailer brakes slightly harder than the car and I can feel it.

Sometimes I drive on the freeway for an extended time without using the brakes, when I start exiting the freeway I notice the Curt is not doing anything. Between panicking I press the big orange dot, the Curt seems to 'wake up' and then it starts working normally again by the time I get to the actual exit.

My personal theory right now is that the calibration works better when the Curt is plugged in on both sides, then you turn the car on - against what Curt recommends. I notice the 'falling asleep' happens less often and the blue circle is much more accurate.

I tow with a Mercedes G550. I was told German cars send signals differently and I just ordered an adapter which helps with trailer LED lights, so I am not even sure this will be a fix.

Anyways, would love to hear comments from other Curt Echo users.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:49 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Just a suggestion. Important topic reliable braking.

Have you called Curt tech support and discussed with them?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
I called Curt and their suggestion was to delete the app and reinstall it
Old 07-03-2021, 02:03 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Just wanted to share the solution to my problem: Curt were right to delete and reinstall the app, the important detail is to delete the app's memory on your phone. Since I did that it has been working perfectly.