Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
Cost Of Commercial Tow?

I'm planning on retiring in 2 years, and looking at going fulltime (in an Airstream that I don't own yet). One of the things that's holding me back a little is the idea of spending big bucks for a 3/4 ton truck. I'd rather drive a small car. This may be a ridiculous question, but I'm thinking that if I only moved the trailer twice a year (let's say Oregon to Arizona, and back to Oregon 6 months later) it might be less expensive to have the trailer moved back and forth by a commercial hauler, rather than buy a truck and doing it myself. Does anyone have a rough idea what it costs to have a 28' trailer professionally moved? Thanks.
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
$3000 each way, plus any other fees and charges. This assumes 1500 miles one way, at $2/mile. Without any more specific info, all answers are going to be SWAGs.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome! Maybe I'd just rent a year round site with a park model on it. Or are you thinking of living in the travel trailer year round on two different locations? Then I'd probably buy two park models and skip the move altogether. I have one friend who has a house here in Dakota and a mobile home on an owned lot in Arizona. He has a little car and drives it round trip once a year.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
Check out the towing posts. Also look at the pictures on the top of this page. You can tow an Airstream with a Chrysler 300, VW toureg, ford edge or even a mini van. You dont need a f250.
tcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
$3000 each way, plus any other fees and charges. This assumes 1500 miles one way, at $2/mile. Without any more specific info, all answers are going to be SWAGs.
What are SWAG's?
Old 06-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
What are SWAG's?
SWAG= Scientific Wild-A**ed Guess.

remember, you asked...
Old 06-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Rent a truck one-way, It'll be cheaper.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've not seen less than $1.25/mile, zip code to zip code. Let's call it Portland to Tucson 97202 to 85703; or, 1,447-miles $1,808.00 x 2 = $3,617 annually, or, $25,000 in seven years.

The "point" to one of these all-aluminum aerodynamic trailers is not simply their permanence (or, lower order, "looks"), but their outstanding road performance qualities. As above, one is not limited to driving a truck when pulling one of these (conditions being met).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. I looked at a website that was claiming you could tow an Airstream with practically any vehicle, but since it was a site for someone that was selling hitches I was naturally a little skeptical. I'd be interested to know if anyone out there is towing a 28' Airstream with say, a Jeep Liberty or something that size. To fill things in a little we're currently deciding exactly what it is we want to do - live in one place in the summer and another in the winter, or spend 2 or 3 years exploring the U.S. . I'm leaning toward the later.
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
.....but if you own a truck you can help friends and relatives move.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil
.....but if you own a truck you can help friends and relatives move.
Hahahaha!!!! Too true.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. I looked at a website that was claiming you could tow an Airstream with practically any vehicle, but since it was a site for someone that was selling hitches I was naturally a little skeptical. I'd be interested to know if anyone out there is towing a 28' Airstream with say, a Jeep Liberty or something that size. To fill things in a little we're currently deciding exactly what it is we want to do - live in one place in the summer and another in the winter, or spend 2 or 3 years exploring the U.S. . I'm leaning toward the later.
The answer to your question is yes. There are days' worth of reading on this site about many different tow vehicle and trailer combinations plus comments about the experiences and comments about comments.

I don't know how to suggest that you search for those threads (articles) without being a bit blunt, so I'll just "mention" it.

If you need help with using the search function, just ask. You will receive plenty of help. Good luck with your planning and decision-making.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Can Am RV in London, Ontario (Andy Thomson) is well-known for setting up "unconventional" tow vehicles. "Unconventional" in this day and age, not so much as was done 40-years ago.

The default choice of half-ton pickup and square white box trailer is probably well-matched. With an A/S one has more choices.

As in the above, read through threads on towing and tow vehicles. The more outlandish the better. See AndyT 's posts as well.

And don't knock 3/4 and 1T pickups. I would surmise you haven't driven one of the latest. It's easy to criticize them from a variety of angles, (some of which bear credence, many do not), but until one has been used (more than as a commuter) then the full range of what they are capable of is hidden.

If I may recommend taking as your starting point what is possibly state-of-the-art: a turbodiesel European SUV with fully independent suspension and disc brakes, hitched with a PRO PRIDE to an A/S (fully IS) with disc brakes. The argument you will find has to do with TV "payload capacity" as a "limit".

Here's a recent AndyT post on FE in TV's.

There is more to it than meets the eye . . . take your time.

Good luck

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
SWAG= Scientific Wild-A**ed Guess.

remember, you asked...

Terry,
I'll know exactly what you mean next time.