Old 07-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
Considering this TV purchase

Hello All,

A friend is selling their Mazda 2010 B4000 V6 4.O, 4x4 plus towing package (transmission cooler, 5,461lbs capacity) We are two years away from finishing our 1962 23' Tradewind, single axle, original weight was 3100lbs. We plan to run a very lean, minimalist redo on the rebuild.

What do you think? Is that enough truck?

I appreciate the wide variety of opinions and answers.

I am only considering this truck now is because it is in pristine shape and the owner has done everything to maintain it. A really good deal.

Don't want to pass up on something that is too good to let go.

Thank you,

Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image6.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	372815  

SlocanValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It will do the job, but it's not the most competent for that weight trailer. A little more (not a lot but maybe 20-30) horsepower would be nice. Really as I look it over, everything about it is fine, but nothing really says wow, that would be a killer combo. I don't see anything that wold be disappointing unless you're like me an like to bring a lot of gear, (some of which seems to just sit in the truck).

Anyway that's how I see it.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Mazda B4000

Your prospective truck is a rebadged Ford Ranger. The Mazda version has a little bit different suspension settings for a slightly firmer ride. Mazda was good at that. The weak link in these trucks is the automatic transmissions. This truck should have a 4.10 Axle Ratio if it has the Factory Tow Pkg. Maybe the current owner has the original window sticker to confirm the axle ratio. If not, get the Axle Code off of the door sticker and google it to see what comes up. The code should begin with a letter and then a number if it is a Limited Slip Axle as it should be. Something like Code B4 or H9 as an example. The 4.0 V-6 engine is the preferred engine in these trucks. The 3.0 engine was pretty weak.

The truck will do the job. Go to the Cat scale on your first time out to get your axle weights and adjust accordingly.

Be very kind to the transmission. They have a history of failure. If it does fail replace it with a Jasper Remanufactured Transmission. They are excellent and have a great warranty. Not inexpensive but worth it.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
5R55E transmission

Your prospective truck has a 5R55E transmission. It was the first 5 speed automatic transmission produced by an American Auto Manufacturer and the first Electronically Controlled also. Do some homework so there are no surprises.

Not saying to not purchase this truck. From the picture it looks very clean and I personally really like the Supercab design. Just go in with eyes open. And yes, I had a 2011 Ranger 4.0 4x4 Supercab with Factory Tow Pkg that I purchased new.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
Will do about the axle ratio.

Thank you, the gentleman who is selling it will oblige me on more research for these technical questions.

Enough for inclines and the occasional mountain pass?

The owner did say "on demand towing package c/w transmission cooler" in his original email. Would this suggest factory installed towing package?
Old 07-13-2020, 06:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Your prospective truck has a 5R55E transmission. It was the first 5 speed automatic transmission produced by an American Auto Manufacturer and the first Electronically Controlled also. Do some homework so there are no surprises.
Not the best transmissions? So ten years into the the life of the truck the transmission is being worked more than it has ever? Is that too old to start working it?
Old 07-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Is transmission up to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlocanValley View Post
Not the best transmissions? So ten years into the the life of the truck the transmission is being worked more than it has ever? Is that too old to start working it?
How many miles on the truck? Has the transmission fluid and filter been changed at recommended intervals? How has the truck been used? No towing or lots of towing? Does it indeed have a Factory Tow Pkg and not just an aftermarket hitch installed at Uhaul or somewhere similar and was the truck originally equipped with a trans cooler?

I can tell you that at 80k miles mine went south with no warning and it had not been abused and was maintained by the book. Reman Jasper was north of $3k installed. I sold the truck with 125k miles on it and had no further trans problems.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
I had three of these trucks - not enough trucks for even a little RV I have a friend towing a pop up with one and had all sorts of problems.

RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote