Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Girard , Ohio
Chevy Silverado LD

Anyone here towing with a Silverado LD?

In the process of looking for a 1/2 ton truck, I almost immediately ruled out the Chevy Silverado based purely on looks - it's just not my cup of tea. But while on the Chevrolet website, I stumbled accross something caled a Silverado LD, which carries over the prevoius design and seems to be a nice value for the money, especially with either the incentives or promotional financing they have going on right now.

In stark contrast to the current model (and most other trucks minus the Toyota Tundra) configuration is dead simple as there are few options. One bed size, one cab configuration, one engine choice (5.3 V8), a couple of trim levels, and 2- or 4-wheel drive - that's it.

Spec-wise it has some nice towing features: 3.42 rear axel, external engine cooler, external transmission cooler, locking rear differential, and hill descent control. The trailering package adds a 2" receiver and a 7-wire harness/connector with built-in brake controller. Max trailer weight is 9,200 pounds; max payload is 2,086 pounds. Can't find the max tongue weight (and not sure how to find it).

I'm not looking to start a debate or conversation about "will my (insert vehicle) tow a (insert Airstream model)" - promise! - I'm just looking for any real world experience or feedback.

For the record, our prospective Airstreams right now have been narrowed down to the FC 25RBT or the GB 23FBT, both of which should fit comfortably within the limits of this truck by my calculations.

With thanks in advance,

Jim
jameskuzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
You'd want to know the max payload from the sticker on the truck you would be purchasing. The max tongue weight is probably around 1250 lbs.

Which transmission does it have? The 10-speed is much better than the 8-speed from my experience, but the 5.3L is a good engine.

We pulled our 25' FBT FC all over the country with a similar Silverado, but have since upgraded to a 1500 LTZ with the max trailering and technology packages, plus the 6.2L with a 10-speed.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskuzman View Post
Anyone here towing with a Silverado LD?

In the process of looking for a 1/2 ton truck, I almost immediately ruled out the Chevy Silverado based purely on looks - it's just not my cup of tea. But while on the Chevrolet website, I stumbled accross something caled a Silverado LD, which carries over the prevoius design and seems to be a nice value for the money, especially with either the incentives or promotional financing they have going on right now.

In stark contrast to the current model (and most other trucks minus the Toyota Tundra) configuration is dead simple as there are few options. One bed size, one cab configuration, one engine choice (5.3 V8), a couple of trim levels, and 2- or 4-wheel drive - that's it.

Spec-wise it has some nice towing features: 3.42 rear axel, external engine cooler, external transmission cooler, locking rear differential, and hill descent control. The trailering package adds a 2" receiver and a 7-wire harness/connector with built-in brake controller. Max trailer weight is 9,200 pounds; max payload is 2,086 pounds. Can't find the max tongue weight (and not sure how to find it).

I'm not looking to start a debate or conversation about "will my (insert vehicle) tow a (insert Airstream model)" - promise! - I'm just looking for any real world experience or feedback.

For the record, our prospective Airstreams right now have been narrowed down to the FC 25RBT or the GB 23FBT, both of which should fit comfortably within the limits of this truck by my calculations.

With thanks in advance,

Jim
I've been towing with Silverado LDs more than 25 years.
LD = Light Duty = any Silverado 1/2 ton pickup.
I tow my 25' and my 34' with my 1/2 ton Silverado. My 2014 Silverado has about 1,600 lbs payload capacity, reduced from original by accessories I have added.

The 25' tows great. At times, depending on what I add inside the truck bed, payload can be close to its limit. My 25' trailer has less than 800 lbs tongue weight when loaded and GVWR of 6,400 lbs.

When towing the 34' sometimes it loads the truck slightly over the its GVWR, but always under both axels' capacity and GCWR, and also just at or slightly over payload capacity. I cannot carry anything heavy in the bed while towing the 34'. The 34' has a tongue weight between 1,100 to 1,200 lbs when loaded and GVWR of 9,800 lbs.

IMO, a Silverado LD will be a sufficient tow vehicle for either trailer you proposed. Though, one issue with any half ton truck is lack of payload capacity, but the newer trucks are much better equipped than they were just a few years ago.

Payload is not the same on every Silverado LD truck. It depends on how the truck is equipped. Don't be fooled by the advertising in Chevrolet's "Towing Guide", which list the highest possible rating for each model, not specific ratings. Different trucks' varying equipment; cabs, motors, transmissions, bed lengths, axle capacity, gear ratios, etc. can change tow weight rating.
Use the door placards on each truck to figure out what each truck will tow..

On page 197 in the Owners Manual it says " Do not exceed a maximum trailer tongue weight of 567 kg (1,250 lb) for a conventional trailer hitch."

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ers-manual.pdf
Old 05-09-2020, 09:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Jim

This sounds like a great TV to me. I would go with a 2wd since it has a locking differential. This will save you some money and help you on payload capacity. Check the door jamb to get the specific payload for the truck.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote